Awoo.

Texas teen arrested, possibly facing eight years for sarcastic League of Legends comments

#AR

That image is far too perfect. tongue.png

Neoconservatism throws all individual rights under the bus in favor of national security. Texas dueling with Alaska as the most right-wing state in the Union, it is no surprise that "national security!!" is a rallying cry for policies there. Even if it's infectious across America - look at all the people who were calling for the Boston bomber's death as soon as he was identified as a suspect, not caring that there was not yet any evidence.

Overall this is just the latest in a long line of utilitarianism with regards to security issues... who cares if there's not any evidence against you, that slim chance you're a threat justifies erasing all your rights and locking you up for good!

I pray these kinds of people never get a hold of crime statistics. By their logic we may as well incarcerate every African-American on the basis that they have a higher proportion of the criminal population. There's no evidence but in their mind the higher risk (no matter how absurd that risk is) justifies everything.

Honestly I'd be in favor of states like Texas degenerating into totalitarian societies. The only way to appreciate legal protections is to have them taken from you. Come to think of it, at times I think our society as a whole could use some re-education as to why we have such clear legal procedures that need to be followed, not just Texas.

As I always say, sometimes to protect the good guys you have to let a bad guy go.

For the record this kid isn't a bad guy. He's just an idiot. There's a difference.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

America has become one of the worse Surveillance States in the world, followed by the UK and other European nations, hell even North Koreans aren't under surveillance as much as we are.sleep.png

The amount of power the CIA and FBI have is frighting these days. Its just as bad as it was in the 1960's if not worse. Saddest part is Obama supports it. Its not like he has a choice either if doesn't he would face severe consequences. 

He did put joke that it was a joke but the internet is a shit place for sarcasm.

America has become one of the worse Surveillance States in the world, followed by the UK and other European nations, hell even North Koreans aren't under surveillance as much as we are.sleep.png

Um...yeah they are? The US has some sneaky shit going on behind doors, but we're no where near as bad as North Koreans are.

We can actually attempt to fight back this crap while the North Koreans are powerless to do so. That and we don't get punished so harshly for any minor offense, nor does 3 generations of our family come down with us either.

tumblr_mbyootULi61r1epqa.gif

Many people aren't up to date with the news. But seriously, we have horrible stuff happening everywhere and he gets arrested over one simple joke....A SIMPLE JOKE. He really didn't mean it. This country I swear.

Um...yeah they are? The US has some sneaky shit going on behind doors, but we're no where near as bad as North Koreans are.

We can actually attempt to fight back this crap while the North Koreans are powerless to do so. That and we don't get punished so harshly for any minor offense, nor does 3 generations of our family come down with us either.

Yeah good luck with that. I like how you jumped to US's defence and not other the western Countries I mentioned. While people do protest I don't see anything actually being done by the US Government to stop all this Mass Surveillance maybe because the Pentagon and the CIA have the final say. Some people say its for their protection but really? How much is really needed?

North Koreas don't have as many Surveillance cameras as Western Countries seeing as their Country seeing as they can barely keep its lights on. Of course they have methods of keeping its people in line (yes quite brutal ones) but I don't see how that excuses us for being any better. mellow.png

I like how you jumped to US's defence and not other the western Countries I mentioned.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for an American poster to say what they will on their own country first, as they know the situation best. Just as a British person would know Britain's situation best.

There is no malicious agenda here.

While people do protest I don't see anything actually being done by the US Government to stop all this Mass Surveillance maybe because the Pentagon and the CIA have the final say. Some people say its for their protection but really? How much is really needed?

"National security" is the downfall of every democracy. See how almost every dictatorial "President" runs his country in a state of emergency.

The problem becomes in keeping the average person from being so gripped with fear they abandon reason. That is what is happening here: under normal circumstances this would be considered insane. But since he made a "terrorist threat" people will automatically rush to have him detained without a defense and probably waterboarded.

North Koreas don't have as many Surveillance cameras as Western Countries seeing as their Country seeing as they can barely keep its lights on. Of course they have methods of keeping its people in line (yes quite brutal ones) but I don't see how that excuses us for being any better. mellow.png

I don't think western democracies are excused, so much as the people don't have to arm themselves to the teeth to get the government to listen.

We can actually attempt to fight back this crap while the North Koreans are powerless to do so.

Bingo. The ultimate difference between democracy and dictatorship is that here, it's a god-given right for the People to call the government out on its bull. In places like Korea it is not.

The question is, will we? While a fair many Americans are outraged at this, I'm predicting just as many are perfectly apathetic as soon as "terrorist" enters the equation.

I guess the media got bored of associating terrorism with radical Islam.

Yeah good luck with that. 

We're having better luck than the North Koreans are, so thanks.

I like how you jumped to US's defence and not other the western Countries I mentioned. 

Well considering that the subject in question occurred in the US, in my home state no less, why exactly wouldn't I jump to the US's defense? 

While people do protest I don't see anything actually being done by the US Government to stop all this Mass Surveillance maybe because the Pentagon and the CIA have the final say. Some people say its for their protection but really? How much is really needed?

Remind me how SOPA got stopped again?

Because unlike North Korea, where the only people who can actively stand up against its government are foreign powers, we in our own countries can fight against our own domestic policies and actions when we choose to stand against them. In North Korea, if you say anything against the government that you merely don't like, they'll ship you off to a prison camp. In western countries, if any one in the government so much as tries to do that shit and gets caught, it's their ass that gets in serious trouble for abuse of power.

We are quite different in that the government can't always force us to do everything they want so easily if we really don't want them to do something. And if they do it anyway, then they've very likely ensured that they won't get another term in office as easily as well.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

We're having better luck than the North Koreans are, so thanks.

Well considering that the subject in question occurred in the US, in my home state no less, why exactly wouldn't I jump to the US's defense? 

Remind me how SOPA got stopped again?

Because unlike North Korea, where the only people who can actively stand up against its government are foreign powers, we in our own countries can fight against our own domestic policies and actions when we choose to stand against them. In North Korea, if you say anything against the government that you merely don't like, they'll ship you off to a prison camp. In western countries, if any one in the government so much as tries to do that shit and gets caught, it's their ass that gets in serious trouble for abuse of power.

We are quite different in that the government can't always force us to do everything they want so easily if we really don't want them to do something. And if they do it anyway, then they've very likely ensured that they won't get another term in office as easily as well.

Yeah SOPA got stopped, but it doesn't stop other crap from slipping through the cracks *Cough The Patriot Act*.

Yeah you have more "freedom" to say things (unless you leak shit or piss off the FBI/CIA), but it doesn't change the fact we face almost the same levels of Surveillance. Maybe North Korea was a bit of stretch but I would say it is reaching uncomfortable levels I would compare it to the Stasi but that would probably upset you more. sleep.png

As for getting caught doing bad shit, very rarely are conquences are serve. Do I have to bring up the Iran-Contra Affair. Just today the CIA launched a Drone strike in Pakistani, is that legal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz20lu2AM2k 

The comparison to the Stasi would indeed be upsetting because it's still a dishonest comparison. Americans don't get put under house arrest for criticizing democracy or our officials. If nothing else, constant bitching from the constituents is still one of the ways shit even gets done around here. It's one thing to criticize our surveillance measures but you're approaching Godwin levels of silliness here.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah SOPA got stopped, but it doesn't stop other crap from slipping through the cracks *Cough The Patriot Act*.

National security is used to justify pretty much every repressive measure ever invented.

It's the same reason we all agreed with Iraq at first; Bush had us legitimately believing that it was necessary to protect us. Only after the war got underway did we realise how utterly deceiving the administration had been to us all.

And that is the same reason this young man's case is overlooked; he's deemed a "terrorist" and suddenly the whole legal system takes a proverbial dump on him because it wouldn't make for good press to protect such an individual. Security hysteria is no stranger to politics; we imprisoned or even executed countless people during the Red Scares. There was also internment.

All tyrannical acts, justified in the name of national security... at the end of the day, there's minimal practical difference between what a government tries to do (that is, gain, maintain, and expand power) in one country or another. The real difference is what the people do. In oppressive countries, the people take their beating. In free ones, they deliver the beating.

Just today the CIA launched a Drone strike in Pakistani, is that legal?

Legality is ultimately based on armed force. While we might agree to treaties, it is ultimately up to us to follow them. Given that Pakistan will do nothing... in a sense, yes, it is legal, since legality is derived from a government, and governments exist solely if they have a legal monopoly on the use of force.

It might not be legal in Pakistan, but it's surely going to be legal over here. And when two legalities conflict, the one with the strength is the winner - I think we know who that is.

Also, this is a poor example. It's a national security case that only really affects foreigners. Most people don't care what happens until it's on their front door. Were it Americans being targeted for drone strikes on our own soil, you'd bet some politicians would be kicked out of office. If they were lucky they'd keep their heads, too.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

Yeah, because we're constantly having law makers propose laws, debate laws, vote on laws, send laws to the president, and if found to be problematic, get striked down by the Supreme Court.

It's not fool proof, but it ain't oh so terrible either.

Yeah you have more "freedom" to say things (unless you leak shit or piss off the FBI/CIA), but it doesn't change the fact we face almost the same levels of Surveillance. Maybe North Korea was a bit of stretch but I would say it is reaching uncomfortable levels I would compare it to the Stasi but that would probably upset you more. sleep.png

Yeah, because of loads of these other problems that probably wouldn't have gotten much attention to in the past few decades, like say scandals, crimes, and other national security problems. That's a consequence of the growing technology in our world.

But civilians can get in on it too with something as small as their camera phones or the internet, so I'm not seeing much of a problem with surveillance when it's used responsibly. That doesn't mean it can't be used irresponsibly, but come on dude, you're sounding really paranoid over this stuff at this point.

As for getting caught doing bad shit, very rarely are conquences are serve. Do I have to bring up the Iran-Contra Affair. 

Yes, a bunch of people got sentenced but later pardon because politics. Happens a lot, often to nobody's surprise. Let's try McCarthyism back during the Red Scare.

Still brings them into question and distrust and impacts a lot of these people's future careers when they happen like Jimmy Carter's handling of the Iran Hostage Crisis, nor does it look good in the history books to be remembered for such bad shit when you're name is practically associated with it.

Just today the CIA launched a Drone strike in Pakistani, is that legal?

It was illegal to sneak in and kill Osama bin Laden when we got the intel, and we did it anyway. It's practically illegal to commit genocide after the Holocaust, yet it happened to the Tutsi and Armenia's and hardly anyone did shit to help step in. It's practically illegal for China (and other countries) to hack other people's computers and steal information and they continue to do so despite everyone telling them to stop. Name one country out that didn't do illegal shit when they thought they could get away with it.

But civilians can get in on it too with something as small as their camera phones, so I'm not seeing much of a problem with surveillance when it's used responsibly. That doesn't mean it can't be used irresponsibly, but come on dude, you're sounding really paranoid over this stuff at this point.

Yes, a bunch of people got sentenced but later pardon because politics. Happens a lot, often to nobody's surprise.

Still impacts a lot of these people's future careers when they happen like Jimmy Carter's handling of the Iran Hostage Crisis, nor does it look good in the history books to be remembered for such bad shit when you're name is practically associated with it.

I am not that Paranoid I don't wear a Tin Foil Hat. However some of the shit that has been leaked and made declassified is enough to make my toe nails curl.

Jimmy Carter wasn't well liked by anybody. Yet Reagan is largely seen as this saviour which he is far from.sleep.png

Yeah, well neither do we wear tin foil hats. We know how stupid cases like this are, but that's no excuse to make a mountain of a a molehill of a mother calling the police over someone a sarcastic comment in a game and use that to criticize the wide use of survellience technology.

Yeah, well neither do we wear tin foil hats. We know how stupid cases like this are, but that's no excuse to make a mountain of a a molehill of a mother calling the police over someone a sarcastic comment in a game and use that to criticize the wide use of survellience technology.

What where did I accuse you personally of that? huh.png

Why not I think its pretty bad how things have gotten that people took him that literally even though he put down "lol jk". Boston has had people on edge that is understandable but I am sick of this conditioning of fear that people jump to ridiculous conclusions. What is wrong with raising a big issue facing American Society?

Its not just in America. The murder of Lee Rigby had mass hysteria over here and its is playing into a similar system. Just as it happened our government started saying "we need to monitor activities online" yet there was little to no evidence they used the internet to plan the attack nor did they use it to get radicalised, all of this they could of done offline.

You may know how stupid this but others don't. How many people in America have this "I don't mind evoking my freedoms to stop terror" it is a terrible dangerous way of thinking. Regan and his Administration played this card in the 1980's during Cold War he got people scared again about a communist threat in South and Central America so they had the excuses to intervene there.

There must be another way to deal this but I fear we are too far gone to reverse it. sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

What where did I accuse you personally of that? huh.png

Sounded more like you implied it...

Why not I think its pretty bad how things have gotten that people took him that literally even though he put down "lol jk". Boston has had people on edge that is understandable but I am sick of this conditioning of fear that people jump to ridiculous conclusions. What is wrong with raising a big issue facing American Society?

It's less raising a big issue with American Society and more you not connecting the dots well enough to make this sound like something other than you stretching the subject out of proportion.

I mean, really, look at what this led to. One moment we're talking about the stuff going on that got this kid arrested and how stupid people were being on the internet, and now we're comparing the US to North Korea and talking politics behind surveillence technology when the only amount of surveillence that occurred is the mother (somehow) finding out this kid's local address and reporting it to the police complete with a history lesson of what bad stuff other administrations did.

Is there really any wonder in why people think this conclusion is ridiculous?

Texas has always been a humorless state, IMO. My stepbrother's idiot cousin was playing with a cheap Bic lighter in school, flicking it about in class. One of the sparks landed in the hair of a teacher. She was hardly even singed because said idiot cousin put out the spark, leaving the teacher with no damage. Idiot cousin was charged with assault with a deadly weapon (the deadly weapon being fire) and was facing 20 years. Said idiot was lucky enough the teacher convinced the DA to let him get off with probation until age 21 and six months in alternative school.

Tl;dr Texas is run by inbred conservative twats.