Awoo.

Theory on why Shadow is so much like Sonic

McNarrow

I'm with Gecko on this. I mean, these theories do hold some water but I doubt any of them have ever been officially considered, especially after they went to such lengths across the games to explain his story.

It's Gako tongue.png but thaks!

Well, from the player and Sonic Team perspective, it's pretty obvious that's the case, but my theory is to be taken from the characters and story perspective.

Oh it's fine to have theories, but one has to be careful not to look too much into things.

Edited by Ultra Gako

It's Gako.

Sorry! Autocorrect never ceases to disappoint me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the Sonic Team do't really seem too care much for the story, there is many inconsistencies so I prefer an unofficial but logical story to an official but full of plot-holes one.

I have more fanon that I added to this theory. Gerald was really trying to create Chaos, because he believed it was a perfect lifeform, and that's why the Echidnas called it a god and called it Perfect Chaos. The evidence is in the artificial Chaos in the ARK, and the Biolizard. Why is it a lizard anyways? Well Chaos looks like a dragon or lizard. The Biolizard is a failed Chaos. It wasn't until Gerald saw the mural that he realized that a hedgehog could be used instead for greater effect. But there's more. What is Sonic then, and why did the Echidnas record prophecies about him? Well if you think about it Sonic is like Perfect Chaos - with the seven chaos he becomes perfect - Super Sonic. So Sonic is another perfect lifeform, and the Echidnas might have called him a god too. To wrap it up, the ancient Echidnas who feared Chaos made prophecies about another perfect lifeform. Sonic. Gerald searched for a way to make it true and so he created it in a lab. But Sonic, who the Echidnas foretold would be born, is the original hedgehog of legend.

I'd also like to add that Shadow's creation is like a twist on some early Sonic lore, how he was given speed during an accident with Dr. Kintobor, who became mad and turned into the evil Dr. Robotnik. Sega should play on that.

That would explain the chaos robots on the Ark. They're perhaps the first prototype before the biolizard, then on to Shadow.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose maybe Gerald Robotnik had a thing for hedgehogs? Or maybe Black Doom dictated Shadow should be a hedgehog? *shrug*

Easy! We can determine Gerald copied the emerald altar so as to better harness the emeralds' power.

Gerald copied the hedgehog design probably because he presumed it was the best species for wielding chaos powers. Shadow being built with chaos energy for his abilities and seeking out chaos emeralds being half the reason for his birth, it's not too crazy he'd want to make sure the new body was best fit. Especially after the abomination that was the Biolizard; the Biolizard was supposed to extend the regenerative capabilities of reptiles all the way into immortality but was an abysmal failure.

Only with Black Doom's genetics and Chaos Emeralds does it look like Gerald finally got what he wanted. I'm guessing he chose the hedgehog design for good luck or to pay homage to the people he learned so much from.

Before one thinks it sounds crazy, think of modern society. How many modern institutions try to reference or copy the Roman Empire? Ancient culture is easily fetishised.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

It was always my headcanon that the Genesis Sonic games, as well as Sonic CD, Sonic 4 Episode 1, and Sonic 4 Episode 2, all took place on Earth well in the past, before humans appeared on Earth. Then, somehow, the Chaos Emeralds or Master Emerald caught some of the civilization, perhaps even just the dozen or so heroes of the Sonic games and sealed them away. Over time, these heroes and Angel island were hidden underground, until they were discovered in modern times, just in time for Sonic Adventure 1 to begin.
If something about this can be proven to be horribly wrong somehow, I'd like to know.

It was always my headcanon that the Genesis Sonic games, as well as Sonic CD, Sonic 4 Episode 1, and Sonic 4 Episode 2, all took place on Earth well in the past, before humans appeared on Earth. Then, somehow, the Chaos Emeralds or Master Emerald caught some of the civilization, perhaps even just the dozen or so heroes of the Sonic games and sealed them away. Over time, these heroes and Angel island were hidden underground, until they were discovered in modern times, just in time for Sonic Adventure 1 to begin.

If something about this can be proven to be horribly wrong somehow, I'd like to know.

Well there's images of humans in Sandopolis Zone. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting theory.  I would never have thought of it

I have a theory as to how Gerald was able to find Angel Island:  Remember that Shadow was built upon the Ark, with incredibly advanced technology to include a canon capable of destroy entire planets.  So what if the Ark had some kind of satellite photography thing whereby it could rotate the Earth in search of a mythical floating island?

As for how he gained access to the Hidden Palace, well, that has me stumped.

I have this really crazy theory!

Sonic Team deliberately made Shadow the 'Anti-Sonic' as both a plot point and gameplay point.

I'm pretty sure they didn't have anything else in mind when they designed him tongue.png

Oh it's fine to have theories, but one has to be careful not to look too much into things

I know this person is banned and won't be able to respond, but I'm just using this post as an example, because this is brought up far too often in speculation topics.

The point of a fan theory is to over-analyze and look too much into things in hopes of finding a new perspective on it.  90% of it may be BS, but that's the thing about speculation.  It's all subject to modification as further research is revealed, and that's the fun of it.  When people say things like "Or maybe Sega just didn't think that far ahead" as if none of us knew that before, it just brings the whole discussion down and doesn't contribute anything to the established headcanons.  90% of fan theories probably have no basis of truth, but the point in their existence is more to examine an aspect of a series that's shrouded in ambiguity and say, "Ah, what if it's like this for this reason?" rather than "Ah, this is clearly why it's like this!"  That's the fun and that's the conversation.

Now there is a point where people have to understand that their fan theories and headcanons are just that.  Fan theories.  I've seen far too many people try to assert their fan theories as indisputable truth, which is incredibly dumb, but I think most of us here understand that this is all just fun fan speculation and not something that Sega had really put that much thought into.

Anyway, I'll end this rant because it's now longer than the point I was making about Angel Island and the Ark and such X3

Edited by Akito

Two words: Anti-Sonic. Or Dark Sonic. Whatever.

Sonic X's Dark Sonic is not canon, like everything else in the series. Don't even try.

Two words: Anti-Sonic. Or Dark Sonic. Whatever.

Well yes. We know the out of canon reason for Shadow quite easily. He was meant to be a darker, edgier copy, and he's black and red because those are the traditional colors of "I'm so ebul."

We're discussing in-canon stuff, however. We know his coloration is from Black Doom's DNA, but what about his particular build and looks? I think the idea it's based off the mural is solid, since he has the quills, eyes even, of Super Sonic. Never mind Gerald's precedent of using echidna technology; I'm guessing through the Gizoid or some other situation he determined echidna technology could harness the emeralds best. Almost all of the guy's greatest inventions are all based off stuff the echidnas made, albeit mixed with modern industrial science.

• Thumbs Up 1

Half of my theory is that the Chaos energy used to create Shadow made his body into a replica of Sonic's. With the Black Doom DNA altering it slightly, making his arms and chest furry. The other half is the usual Hidden Palace mural thing.

Half of my theory is that the Chaos energy used to create Shadow made his body into a replica of Sonic's.

Sonic didn't exist yet though. Unless we assume Chaos energy inherently warps you into a hedgehog?

I suppose you could say after Sonic erased Solaris he left some trace of himself in the past... and given Solaris' status as a time god and time's association with Chaos, his essence somehow became intertwined with chaos energy?

Pity Archie's not canon to the games. The "embodiment of chaos" thing would work like a charm here.

Sonic didn't exist yet though. Unless we assume Chaos energy inherently warps you into a hedgehog?

I suppose you could say after Sonic erased Solaris he left some trace of himself in the past... and given Solaris' status as a time god and time's association with Chaos, his essence somehow became intertwined with chaos energy?

Pity Archie's not canon to the games. The "embodiment of chaos" thing would work like a charm here.

I think he meant that since they were utilizing a replica of the Master Emerald's shrine, the "Chaos energy" molded him based on the hero foretold in the prophecy shown in Hidden Palace.  Granted, that doesn't make any more sense, since it doesn't explain the Biolizard's existence.

It does raise the question though.  How many anthropomorphic hedgehogs are there in Sonic's universe?  Are they common?  Are they a rarity?  Is it possible that Gerald just designed him as such because he was fond of the species?  Is that politically correct in the Sonic universe?

Chaos Emeralds exist outside time. They exist simultaneously throughout all points in time.

The "embodiment of chaos" thing is also a small part of my theory. It would make some sort of weird sense if Sonic's constant usage and strong ties to the emeralds caused his body, at the physical age of 15, to be like the... err... how do I put this... let's just say a... well...

I am unable to put the mental image I have into words, unfortunately.  

EDIT: Let me try that again.

Lets say that Chaos energy exists throughout the entire Sonic universe, and the Emeralds channel that energy and are like the he Chaos energy in solid physical form or something. And what if all of the universe's chaos was focused into Sonic, and flowed out of and through him, while spreading out throughout the universe through him. Making Sonic like the living embodiment of "chaos" itself. And since Chaos Energy exists outside Time and Space, Sonic is recognized as the Embodiment of Chaos and being very deeply connected to it. 

So, when Gerald was creating Shadow, the Chaos Energy took whatever was there originally, and morphed, transformed and evolved that life form, into a replica of Sonic and the physical age that he reached his status as chaos embodiment. With the Black-Arms DNA adding it's own additions to him.

EDIT 2: And if you don't believe in the universal chaos energy whatever, then you could say that the Chaos Emeralds themselves recognize Sonic as the being with the deepest, closest connection to them. 

Edited by tsz11

It does raise the question though.  How many anthropomorphic hedgehogs are there in Sonic's universe?  Are they common?  Are they a rarity?  Is it possible that Gerald just designed him as such because he was fond of the species?  Is that politically correct in the Sonic universe?

Really this just highlights why I wish we got a CIA World Factbook-like thing on the Sonic world. A darn shame that would a) set stuff in stone and B ) most fans aren't like me and wouldn't care for it. tongue.png

So, when Gerald was creating Shadow, the Chaos Energy took whatever was there originally, and morphed, transformed and evolved that life form, into a replica of Sonic and the physical age that he reached his status as chaos embodiment. With the Black-Arms DNA adding it's own additions to him.

How do we explain the Biolizard, however? The Biolizard clearly had some Chaos-based applications as well.

Unless we presume that since Shadow is the final, "perfect" version of the concept, only he assumed a hedgehog-like guise (given that he's a laboratory-created copy of Sonic basically, running with this theory's assumptions)?

Now, assuming Sonic does in fact have some connection. What makes sense in the differences between the two is that while Sonic's chaos abilities generally lay dormant (he is a normal life form endowed with such immense potential from birth; basically it sounds like he could be a God if he so chose but prefers being mostly-mortal instead), Shadow makes active use of them (he is a life form endowed with the potential, who also taps into it).

I suppose that would explain why they always end up coming out equal from an in-universe perspective. Though Shadow is superior to Sonic in every way at first glance, Sonic having latent chaos connections (one on par if not superior to Shadow's) would quickly even the odds.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

For the Biolizard, I think Gerald had already purposely made it while also utilizing chaos. But for Shadow, I think either A) there was little there in the first place and the chaos energy took that and made Sonic's form, or B) Gerald already had a vaguely hedgehog being in the process because of the Hidden Palace mural, and the Chaos Energy utilized altered it and transformed it, slowly aging it through Sonic's physical ages until it reached 15. Or something.

Because if Shadow was not like Sonic, there would be a bad storyline for Sonic Adventure 2? (and other future games) Because Shadow is a rival to Sonic... So SEGA had to make him like Sonic? (I guess)

Well, think about this. MAYBE Dr. Robotnik used the time eater to get his grandfather and show him the mural.

Welcome to the forums.

I find that unlikely given the lack of substantial reasoning and backing.

1) What reason would Robotnik have in doing so?

2) If Robotnik were to go back in time to aid his grandfather in the creation of Shadow, not only would that have been mentioned somewhere down the line, but you'd think he'd take advantage of it in some way or form so that Shadow served his own purpose.