Awoo.

The Chaos Emeralds aren't omg anymore.

Cortez

I say it's time to bring back Super Emeralds!

I say we keep those redundant gemeralds in the Scrap Heap where they belong. The OG Chaos Emeralds are overpowered already.

• Thumbs Up 2

No

sadpanda.jpg

And what purpose would they possibly serve?
Well guys said it's not that epic anymore so I was thinking that Super Emeralds would be great for that. It sure did feel epic in S3&K. (And it felt even more epic in that Nazo flash movie). But yeah, Super Sonic is allmighty now (but strangely they make him lose rings or make ring consumption insane so i wouldn't say he's better than in pre-unleashed games).

More points to Sonic Colors for NOT having a super form final boss
I thought it sucked that there was no Super Sonic battle and even then the final boss used like just 1 or two wisps..Boring. DS version Super Sonic final boss was atrocious though. Edited by ArtFenix

I say it's time to bring back Super Emeralds!

No thanks, no Hyper Sonic for me. We have enough DBZ comparisons as it is. It was just a little bonus for S3&K and nothing more.

And I don't see what made it so "epic", be it S3&K or that (IMO) overrated flash animation.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Well guys said it's not that epic anymore so I was thinking that Super Emeralds would be great for that.
In the laziest way possible. It'd basically the DBZ powerup sequence of Sonic. Not to mention it only works once.

Well another thing that came to my mind is a new Super form. Like in storybooks or maybe Dark Super Sonic. Those forms could have their own abilities and would change Sonic's personality or something like that.. It's just an idea for the sake of bringing something new that would make us say "Omg epic!".

Still, even Super Sonic isn't omg anymore. More points to Sonic Colors for NOT having a super form final boss. I am willfully ignoring the DS port.

Indeed. Having a final boss where the main character doesn't essentially become God (and has gameplay that's actually like the rest of the game before it) feels a lot more epic, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

More points to Sonic Colors for NOT having a super form final boss. I am willfully ignoring the DS port.

I don't get this. It's just a little extra for people who took the time to get all the emeralds. What's wrong with that? It's not like you're forced to do it, they're still optional in that context.

Well another thing that came to my mind is a new Super form.
That's basically the same thing. One flashy powerup, and then nothing.

Those forms could have their own abilities and would change Sonic's personality or something like that.
Why would I want a form that changes Sonic's personality?

It's just an idea for the sake of bringing something new that would make us say "Omg epic!".
Something truly epic requires buildup and context. It's not just a cool powerup or a fight scene. And this is a long-term problem in need of a long-term solution, not just one cool thing.

Unless you can come up with something the Emeralds flat out can't do, there's no need to bring in the Super Emeralds. And even then, there's the Master Emerald that can do whatever it is the Emeralds can't do, so they're really just redundant.

You could play with the traditional emerald hunting arc the games tend to follow, subversions, aversions, and deconstructions what was can we use the emeralds different from the norm?

I mean even Mario has fun with the "Rescue the Princess" arc it follow.

Edited by Popo

Sometimes I like to think that, even though Sonic and co. have been shown to use each of the emeralds to the same potential, that each one of the emeralds are tied to a certain character and enhance their abilities better then if they use different emerald; like, Sonic=blue emerald, Tails=Yellow emerald, Shadow=Green emerald, etc.

Sometimes I like to think that, even though Sonic and co. have been shown to use each of the emeralds to the same potential, that each one of the emeralds are tied to a certain character and enhance their abilities better then if they use different emerald; like, Sonic=blue emerald, Tails=Yellow emerald, Shadow=Green emerald, etc.

Why would they be?

I think it'd be extremely awkward if they suddenly acted like the emeralds are a big deal again.

Maybe if SEGA actually gives the games continuity again the emeralds can be lost for 1-2 titles only to be found again.

Then they'd be somewhat a big deal.

You know what I wanna see again?

Time stones, they'd be cool.

You know what I'd like to see? A final boss where you start out Super, but Eggman pulls an Unleashed and rips the emeralds out of you somewhere midway through, so he ends up being super-powered when you're not. Regardless of the scope of these fights I've always felt most of them lack a moment where the player can just stand back and whimper "Oh shit, I'm in big fucking trouble now", and as long as the emeralds are the subject matter here I figure that's one way to go about it.

I think Unleashed came quite close to this with the Sonic parts when Chip was fighting Dark Gaia.

I think it'd be nice start off like this:

Let Eggman build up to his super-powered machine thingy and Sonic has to evade attacks that get stronger and collect 50 rings. If he doesn't before Eggman's done with his stuff, one hit death. If not the fight continues with Super Sonic.

After that, Eggman needs to do what you said.

I really think the emeralds need to take a break. We need more interesting things like Wisps and have development with them. Major props if they can come back after a break of 2 games or something. Really, every thing needs a break. If not, it's gonna get a lil' boring.

• 8 years later...