Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

16 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Want to point out something

Silver was supposed to get his own video game. Silver at the time of his invention was intended to have shadow like popularity to thrust him into stardom. He probably was gonna get his own explanation as to why he's special. That didn't happen, so while his super form for some maybe unexplained, its isn't really any mentality or any of that nonsense. He's special to sell toys, the gods, the writers, ordained him to be special. The same way they did sonic , shadow and blaze. It just didn't work out.

Silver was a different ip altogether from what I read fairly recently.

16 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

. Even in sa1 where he's given more lore about where he comes from he gives no shits and after that game its just never brought up untill bioware and that got zapped by ken penders unfortunately.

Probably because Sega literally just gave them the Archie comics when they asked for something to work with.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Silver was a different ip altogether from what I read fairly recently.

I remember it being more so silver was big marketing push that didn't work out. But i'll gladly admit that i'm wrong,  if that's the case

36 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Probably because Sega literally just gave them the Archie comics when they asked for something to work with.

Or they went out themselves after possibly getting nothing from sega. That wouldn't be the first time that happened actually, Ian Flynn has had to actually ask fans for lore help along with evan stanly because sega just doesn't care, know or know to care about things. Sega could have litterally just said "that's all we got fam" and they just found other material, appernetly they tried to contact ken

57 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Want to point out something

Silver was supposed to get his own video game. Silver at the time of his invention was intended to have shadow like popularity to thrust him into stardom. He probably was gonna get his own explanation as to why he's special. That didn't happen, so while his super form for some maybe unexplained, its isn't really any mentality or any of that nonsense. He's special to sell toys, the gods, the writers, ordained him to be special. The same way they did sonic , shadow and blaze. It just didn't work out.

Knuckles isn't special because of mentality or whatever, they could easily justify that shit. Knuckles isn't special because there was never anypoint in the series where they seriously invested in knuckles ever outside of introduction. The only time the series invested in knuckles in any serious regard is Ken Penders. Other wise knuckles's is just the strong angry dude. Even in sa1 where he's given more lore about where he comes from he gives no shits and after that game its just never brought up untill bioware and that got zapped by ken penders unfortunately.

Sega just doesn't view him as anything as a legacy character people like, he has toys and stuff but even during the time the were seriously investing in these characters to them, he felt complete. He could get a super form triggered by anger, they just don't give a shit

I mean, this is mainly looking at it from a meta perspective, which kind of goes without saying?

Any character can be "special" if that's the case. In-universe, there just isn't an explanation plain and simple for Silver. You can at least justify it with Sonic & Shadow, but not Silver outside of the vague connection he has with them . 

Just now, Kuzu said:

I mean, this is mainly looking at it from a meta perspective, which kind of goes without saying?

Any character can be "special" if that's the case. In-universe, there just isn't an explanation plain and simple for Silver. You can at least justify it with Sonic & Shadow, but not Silver outside of the vague connection he has with them . 

That's fair. RIght, silvers reason is out of universe. And unlike the other three doesn't quite fit. That's a fair take . However that meta sense, explains why he lacks and explanation. There is no in universe explanation because of a larger meta context, not some in lore reason. Which speaks to the point, some characters are just special .

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That's fair. RIght, silvers reason is out of universe. And unlike the other three doesn't quite fit. That's a fair take . However that meta sense, explains why he lacks and explanation. There is no in universe explanation because of a larger meta context, not some in lore reason. Which speaks to the point, some characters are just special .

Well yea, no shit lol. Sonic's the main character, and Shadow is his rival and second most popular character; them getting preferential treatment isn't really anything out of the ordinary from a meta standpoint. But there's also no confirmation that Silver was ever going to get his own game ever. He wasn't even going to be a hedgehog when he was first conceptualized; he was designed to show off the Havoc physics engine, but nothing suggests they wanted to do more with him.

The meta context in this case is only tangentially related. 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:36 PM, Diogenes said:

Does anyone have the source for that on hand, btw? It'd be nice to have a quick refresh on the exact context.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh the super stuff, I imagine Iuzuka-san said only Male Hedgehogs because they were the only ones to do so at the time and we're also specifically propped as the leads.

I just want to point out that Takashi IIzuka has never said only male hedgehogs can go Super. The first time we ever heard about this was back in 2015 in the topic "Sega's Secret Sonic Bible that we'll probably never see "TO MARS!". It was bout what Badnik Mechanic had heard was in the official Sonic bible. As Windy and Ripply showed last page, Ian Flynn is the only official source we have on the matter.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Wasn't it the same interview where he confirmed Blaze and Silver/Nega's true dwellings?

That was confirmed at the Sonic Boom 2012 event. The question is asked at 5:34 of the video.

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I remember it being more so silver was big marketing push that didn't work out. But i'll gladly admit that i'm wrong,  if that's the case

Oh, I mean still kinda was. It's interesting to think that he was even bigger originally

According to the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection interview with Sega developer Shun Nakamura, Silver's abilities were originally designed for a different action game with the character not meant to make an appearance.[12] During the development of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) in 2005, another action game Sonic Team developed, yet later canceled, named Fifth Phantom Saga featured core gameplay mechanics that focuses on the use of abilities similar to Silver's. Wanting to incorporate features emphasizing Silver's abilities, the team sought to give the character new attributes that no other Sonic characters had. The design team developed over fifty different concepts for the character before reaching his final look,[9] where early sketches included a hedgehog-like animal wearing a futuristic headset and markings on its hair. 

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Or they went out themselves after possibly getting nothing from sega. That wouldn't be the first time that happened actually, Ian Flynn has had to actually ask fans for lore help along with evan stanly because sega just doesn't care, know or know to care about things. Sega could have litterally just said "that's all we got fam" and they just found other material, appernetly they tried to contact ken

Oh yeah, I do vaguely him saying something to that degree.

Wow, guess they hadn't fully changed their old approach.

12 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Well yea, no shit lol. Sonic's the main character, and Shadow is his rival and second most popular character; them getting preferential treatment isn't really anything out of the ordinary from a meta standpoint. But there's also no confirmation that Silver was ever going to get his own game ever. He wasn't even going to be a hedgehog when he was first conceptualized; he was designed to show off the Havoc physics engine, but nothing suggests they wanted to do more with him.

The meta context in this case is only tangentially related. 

He was also the third main protagonist of his debut, so there's that too.

11 hours ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

That was confirmed at the Sonic Boom 2012 event. The question is asked at 5:34 of the video.

What was up with that collective rise when she asked that question? :lol:

51 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, I do vaguely him saying something to that degree.

Wow, guess they hadn't fully changed their old approach.

From what I gather from flynn and who I have talked to, they haven't really changed at all. Flynn said it himself " its not better, its just different "

You ask them some shit, and it seems to be

New lore format that contradicts what you know and what may be good. Or contradicts previous correspondence

They literally do not know or care about what you are asking about or in some cases, don't even remember they made the thing and all the people who might have lore insight have long since left the company.

Or they tell you " we don't what you touching that "

or no response

Or they say its cool but don't give you specifics as to what's cool untill its too late

Its a crap shoot

Perhaps this shows my own - slight - obsessiviness, but I do dream that one day, all Sonic media is made easily available. All Sonic TV shows are made available on a single streaming service, with high quality physical releases with tons of interesting behind the scenes special features. Stuff like SATAM and the OVA upscaled to beautiful high definition. The entirety of Archie Sonic released in beautiful designed compilations that are organised in the optimal reading order, with all the covers listed at the back. Fleetway Sonic getting a beautiful release as well. And all Sonic games made available for current day systems at reasonable prices, rather than just being confined to the system they were originally released on to.

Yeah, I know. So many of these are pipe dreams, due to either time, money, or legal issues. But I do dream. It does genuinely bug me how much Sonic media just isn't easily available. I look at envy at the Mega Man collections Capcom is releasing, and how much time and effort they have had put into them. How they are so definitive that for every new console release, all Capcom has to do is just port the compilation, rather than port the individual games. I still think if you put even a bare bones collection of Sonic Advance 1,2,3 and Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure, it would sell really well. Imagine something like that put in with real effort, shove in Sonic Battle, maybe those GBA pinball games, with some bonus features, and the games aren't just half assed emulations, and it would be properly definitive.

I guess my opinion is, whilst perhaps not the most urgent thing to get the Sonic franchise on track, I honestly think making Sonic games available for current gen systems, would help the franchise find new fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, watching HFC's playthrough of SA2 reminded me of another unpopular opinion.  I REALLY don't like the treasure hunting music, I think they're all ridiculously stupid.  If I'm listening to vocal level tracks, Forces' Avatar is my go to.  Granted I'm pretty sure these are the only games with vocal level tracks, but the difference is I like only one of  theirs.  Still doesn't beat out Rise of Lyric, but as I said, I don't think any soundtrack in the franchise ever will.  Can you really go beyond perfection?

• 1 month later...

Tangle and to an extent Whisper should stay out of the mainline games in favor of just being popular characters from the IDW continuity.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Tangle and to an extent Whisper should stay out of the mainline games in favor of just being popular characters from the IDW continuity.

You mean you don't wanna see their expressiveness die in stiffly animated 3D models?

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

You mean you don't wanna see their expressiveness die in stiffly animated 3D models?

That's another fair point.

I'm fine with them in spin off games like they seem to be currently going for (same as what happened to Sticks, who I wouldn't be against doing the same) but I admit putting them into the main story runs the risk of rewriting their characters completely (and most likely by another writer who has far less interest in them) and putting them in the same mandates that hinder the SEGA cast in side media.

Also here's another one. I get people's hatred of Chris, but I don't think either Season Three or the comics 'fixed' him like some imply as much as they just got him out of the way. While downplaying Chris' POV and limelight hogging was likely for the better, the thing is that Chris is also an everyman, and an everyman tends to only be entertaining when stuff is happening to them.

I think this sticks out in the comics in particular. I have a soft spot for them since they tended to utilise a lot of the cliche 'wacky cartoon antic' plots that are a guilty pleasure for me (eg. getting shrunk, turned into a Godzilla monster, being given evil clones, put in a rigged wrestling match, etc, etc) but from what I remember, nearly all of these SOLELY involved the cartoony games cast and maybe Eggman's minions, making Chris and the other humans even MORE boring comparatively since they were now usually mere observers, while at least in the anime's first season we'd have more indiscriminate cases like both cast herds taking part in the comical fighting tournament. S.O.N.I.C.X. were starting to downplay this by being a bungling villain group made out of the reject human antagonists, though sadly they appeared only shortly before the comic got cancelled.

Plus I feel like the fanbase that disliked Chris might have found him more tolerable if at least some of the comedic bad stuff was happening to him (though not to the degree of mean spirited 'Take That Scrappy' levels of course). I mean he's meant to be the child fan if Sonic were real, surely it'd be more effective if he took part in his adventures, good or bad.

The fact of the matter is that he's the main POV character when most fans just wanted to watch the Sonic cast, since they're the main draw of the series.

It's a similar problem some Transformers media had when the focus of show was on the human characters...and ya know, not the Transformers.

In fact, you had a similar issue with Tom and Maddie from the recent movie. Tom was certainly a lot less annoying than Chris, but the general consensus I see is that people want to see more Sonic and Robotnik.

For some reason, executives or someone believe that people will not watch a show without a generic POV lead that the audience can relate to. Hence why characters like Chris and Tom exist.

True, but I guess my point is, if you INSIST on having these sorts of characters, at least have them part of the fun. No one's gonna be interested in the POV of a character that's just observing from a safety bubble and not really involved in the whole thing.

I think that's how a ton of the Transformers humans got a bad reputation, since mostly they were just sitting throughout the whole thing giving unneeded commentary, and if they were involved the writers couldn't utilise their more mundane characters in a way that wasn't more contrived or boring than if one of the robots done it.

Unpopular Opinion: Forces was fine, not horrible, not great, just alright. I liked some of the dialogue, I enjoyed most of the levels, classic Sonic's music is a big guilty pleasure, and it was an okay game. but objectively, yes, it is utter garbage.

Unpopular Opinion: (retake, the OG was utter garbage looking back at it) I don't think that sonic is in THAT BAD of a place. does the sonic twitter make memes? yes, but JUST BECAUSE a  twitter account makes meme, it doesn't automatically mean that the official games will have them, that's way overblowing things right out proportion. and if the speculation of the havoc engine being ditched and Ken Pontac & Warren Graff being gone doesn't imply that, I dunno what will. and it not like sonic team, or if were talking about in general, SEGA, don't have any odds in their favor. they're working on releasing other games instead of just sonic, making over 20 GAMES THIS YEAR, which, no matter how angry or pissed you are about the sonic drought, is a smart move. they have the money to get this game rolling, they're pushing for higher quality into other games, so there is a chance they're doing the same with sonic. granted it is just a chance, so it may not but... hey, it can happen.

I don't think anyone actually feels Forces is a bad game... but you know, the months of build up and anticipation, only to get a middling product really burned people. I remember a lot of people had big expectations for the game since it was seemingly a return to the things people had been clamouring for, except everything was just kind of half-assed. 

here's an unpopular opinion sonic advance 2 and sonic rush adventure have the best bosses in the entire series

I personally think SEGA pulled a stupid move by making the classic and modern eras different dimensions. This not only further destroyed Sonic's all ready inconsistent lore, it also limited creativity and makes it where classic fan-favorite characters like Fang, Bean, Bark, Mighty, and Ray can't even make appearances in the IDW comics. Smooth move, SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 more unpopular opinions

I think Colors’ English script is the 2nd worst script in any form of media.

I don’t mind Lost World’s writing (though to be fair I guess Colors is somewhat responsible)

My unpopular opinion is that Shadow the Hedgehog is a good game with a compelling story and unique progression system that I find very immersive and powerful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinions (maybe):

-Sonic 3D Blast is a legit good game.

-Sonic comics were more entertaining when they weren't tied down by Sega.

-Sonic's english OVA voice is better than Roger Craig Smith.

-Eggman's mustache looks better UN-textured.

-Sonic Underground is better than Sonic Boom.

I have an opinion (not sure if it's unpopular or not) that where I think a potential Project P-17 that Fixes forces would require a lot more effort than P-06. The level design of that game was alright for the most part, and was seen as a breath of fresh air by some who tired of the more linear boost formula. Forces is just linear boost formula cranked up to 11 Thousand. What good would making Sonic control better do if in service of playing these short, boring levels? Are the levels any more fun when ported into Generations? (Genuine question cos I haven't tried it for myself).