Awoo.

Sonic Generations Continuity Nods and References

Vertekins

That episode of Sonic X where he tried teaching kids to worship him?

Except it was one of his robots of the week that acted as the teacher, not Eggman himself.

>a positive Sonic Generations topic

I love you.

Here's one I noticed whenever Sonic ends a trick combo. He does his pose that's on the Sonic Adventure boxart.

sonic_adventure.png

Image.png

If you want me to be honest, that has to be one of the dopest poses ever (Dope(est) is slang for awesome or great.) Just for those who are wondering xD
  • Thumbs Up 1

When you talk to Blaze, she'll mention the Red Star Rings being similar to something in her world. In Sonic Rush, the Goal Rings were Gold Star Rings while in Sonic Rush Adventure they were treasure chests.

The last temple in Modern Sky Sanctuary has Sonic bouncing off the springs similar to the first ever teaser trailer for Sonic 2006.

The Skill Shop has a pair of Sonic's shoes and Wentos' chao hand puppets.

The Balloon Mission for Classic Sonic in Rooftop Run is a reference to Amy's Balloons from Sonic Adventure.

Silver's final attack is the same as Iblis Phase 3's final attack in Sonic 2006. Silver also uses Chaos Control throughout the fight.

Edited by Son1ctrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well I don't know if these count but in Classic Seaside Hill there's a part where a boulder chases Sonic:

535px-Seaside_Hill_Classic.png

It is said that in Sonic 1 the team wanted the Wrecking Ball Eggman uses to chase Sonic a la Indiana Jones. I guess this could be a nod to that.

tumblr_m6pq9n6RC51qdtw9eo1_500.png

Mighty, Ray, Nack/Fang, Bark, and Bean are reference in City Escape. I think the missing part could mean that Mighty and Ray have been captured by Eggman again tongue.png and I don't remember the bios for Bean and Bark referencing they were criminals like Nack so a reference to Archie?

5631797900_06bd22fb7d.jpg

Sonic Generations design takes a cue to that pop art design from the Japanese version of the games:

s1-bginfo-detailsimg5full.jpg

Also, I think in the Japanese version Sonic & Tails do acknowledge that they been in Chemical Plant before, not sure what they say during the Robotnik part in the Japanese version though (someone more fluent with Japanese should check that out)

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't remember the bios for Bean and Bark referencing they were criminals like Nack so a reference to Archie?

Probably not intentional on the part of the developing team, but they likely just heard Kevin's recommendation as them appearing on wanted posters (and that WOULD have been intentional on his part, although he wouldn't have said that to the devs) and reacted to it like "Sure, whatever, not like we're ever going to use them again in the games".

Well I don't know if these count but in Classic Seaside Hill there's a part where a boulder chases Sonic:

535px-Seaside_Hill_Classic.png

It is said that in Sonic 1 the team wanted the Wrecking Ball Eggman uses to chase Sonic a la Indiana Jones. I guess this could be a nod to that.

Well, it's probably a nod to the same rock chases you in Heroes, which you could call a nod to the rock chasing you in SA's Lost World, which is a nod to their idea about having Sonic get chased by a rock in Sonic 1.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Well, it's probably a nod to the same rock chases you in Heroes, which you could call a nod to the rock chasing you in SA's Lost World, which is a nod to their idea about having Sonic get chased by a rock in Sonic 1.

Yeah, I guess I what I meant was finally seeing Classic Sonic chased by something.....though wasn't there a part in Lava Reef where he gets chased for a little while by a rock?

Yeah, I guess I what I meant was finally seeing Classic Sonic chased by something.....though wasn't there a part in Lava Reef where he gets chased for a little while by a rock?

Nope, Knuckles throws a rock into Sonic. It hits and sends him down towards the Eggman boss fight lurking below.

He got chased by a Spike Ball in Lava Reef.

The great Green Hill What-could-have-been for years, actually realized 3 years later.

• Thumbs Up 1

The great Green Hill What-could-have-been for years, actually realized 3 years later.

Ah yes it was the spike ball....I feel kind of bad I didn't remember that.

Here's one: the barrel section on classic Rooftop Run came straight from Rooftop Run Night and so did the clock tower section, PS3 and 360 version. Here's your Werehog on the game :P

Whuh...huh. Don't recall that one at all. And I must have gotten that far if I recall the boulder that appeared one act later...

Edited by Joshua

Other continuity nods:

Intro to the Shadow rival fight:

Shadow2.jpg

Opening of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle:

SA2B_7.png

Nod to the whale from Sonic Adventure?:

24197SonicBlueBlur-2011-10-03-17-00-46-80-450x253.jpg

The Chemical Plant mission that involves Tails helping Sonic fly in the air, nod to the ability from Sonic 3 and the Marble Garden boss

0.jpg

And even though it was mentioned, the Super Sonic Racing remix has samples from a Sega Saturn commercial

Didn't read the thread to see if anyone said this but~!

There's a certain ramp in Crisis City that's like a certain loop in Palmtree Panic.

Classic Sonic has no falling animation. He walks in midair just like he did in the original games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Surprised nobody mentioned this one yet...

At around 44 seconds into this video, for one of his S rank celebrations, he does something very similar to:

usainbolt_2300716b.jpg

Gotta go fast, right?

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Hmm...

Vector says he has a "Hunch" that someone is controliing the time-eater. This an example of his detective prowess, and it's not the first time he's suspected Eggman's plans.

In the final fight, Knuckles says "Smack Him!", perhaps refering to his own powerful punches. Vector says "You've got the power"... and in Sonic heroes, Vector was a power character...

The misson where you race Knuckles calls back to the Sonic rivals series.

Both Crisis cities start pretty much like the orginal - You have to make a big jump. In modern, if you don't make the jump quick enough, you will fall to your doom - just like in '06!

The time eater battle is very similar to the final boss of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

When Vector says "You found all the red star rings? Man, Rouge is gonna have my hide for this," it makes me think of crocodile skin handbags...

At the end party, Shadow doesn't wave goodbye to classic Sonic. There also appears to be a plate in the tree.

Rouge and Knuckles appear to be getting along quite well at the beginning - similar to the end of Sonic Adventure 2.

Cream and Blaze also talk to each other - they were friends in Sonic Rush. Cheese (and other chao) proform the chao garden animations from the adventure series.

The find the chao misson with cream is incredibly similar to a misson in Sonic Unleashed.

In the Egg Dragoon boss fight, Eggman says "Prepared to be skewered!" Similar to the Egg-Dealer fight from Shadow the Hedgehog.

Edited by Paradox
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wonder what triggers various S-rank animations. I almost always get the lying down at the end animation for S-rank out of both characters. I've never even seen the animation where Classic Sonic takes a bow and does the Sonic 3 finger pose before now.

Haven't a clue, I pretty much remember the break dancing one and the Classic one that ends in a roll. Maybe if you don't take damage or something? Not sure.