Awoo.

To Classic Fans: Is Sonic Generations worth buying?

BarleyFields

Hello everyone. This is my first post so please be nice.

I remember when Sonic used to be good and his games weren't terrible. Sonic 2 was the game that made me buy a Genesis. I remember when I got the game because it was so fast. Sonic always used to be at his best when you were running, running, running and more running! There were the cool set pieces like the loopdeloops but that speed was great.

Unfortunately all of Sonic's games when he went 3D were terrible. The camera could not keep up with the speed, the stories were needlessly complicated and detracted from the fastpaced game and the games got moodier and dumber. I have heard however that Sonic Generations is a good game.

So this is a question to the classic sonic fans, the people who like the good games, is Sonic Generations worth buying? Does it have the correct level of speed that the classics did and does the game not force you to slow down with silly storylines, bad cameras or force you to play as Sonic's dumb friends and play slow boring gameplay.

I loved Sonic 2 and the glory days of Sonic but I don't want to have to relive the terrible memories of Sonic Adventure and Sonic The Hedgehog (the 360 game).

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my thread. I appreciate it :)

Hahaha

No

noooo no no no

So this is a question to the classic sonic fans, the people who like the good games, is Sonic Generations worth buying? Does it have the correct level of speed that the classics did and does the game not force you to slow down with silly storylines, bad cameras or force you to play as Sonic's dumb friends and play slow boring gameplay.
Then again, if you care about speed over mechanics and don't mind a practically nonexistent story you'd probably be fine with this.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hahaha

No

noooo no no no

Then again, if you care about speed over mechanics and don't mind a practically nonexistent story you'd probably be fine with this.

Haha that was a silly placed loopdeloop. You can probably just spindash up it though. That's what you always used to do in Sonic 2.

Speed over mechanics?

This OP makes me angry, like......super pissed.

Have I said something wrong?

I'm sorry if I offended you? What did I say?

This is such obvious trolling that it's not even funny.

I'm not trolling.

I'm being serious! I loved Sonic 2 and I'm asking if Generations is good like Sonic 2. What have I said wrong?

Haha that was a silly placed loopdeloop. You can probably just spindash up it though. That's what you always used to do in Sonic 2.
I don't think you understand what was so great about the Genesis games.

Speed over mechanics?
Yeah if you just want to watch something go fast Generations is fine. If you want an actual well-designed game, save your money.

I don't think you understand what was so great about the Genesis games.

Yeah if you just want to watch something go fast Generations is fine. If you want an actual well-designed game, save your money.

What do you mean well designed? Is it glitchy like Sonic The Hedgehog 360? Because if it is I won't be buying it!

It's just, everything in that OP is just annoying and I don't agree with any of it.

Oh sorry. What do you find annoying?

Are you only interested in Generations cause it has Classic Sonic in it?

No. I'm asking if it is a good game because all the Sonic games after the Genesis were terrible.

That is what I mean :) . I hope that clears it up.

No. I'm asking if it is a good game because all the Sonic games after the Genesis were terrible.

That is what I mean smile.png . I hope that clears it up.

If you feel that all the games after the Genesis are terrible then you might as well skip this one too.

What do you mean well designed? Is it glitchy like Sonic The Hedgehog 360? Because if it is I won't be buying it!
No, not glitchy. Poorly designed. The gameplay is shallow and heavily restricted, and only allows for two things; memorizing the level to watch a thing go fast, and bland, clunky platforming.

Like this shit right here, perhaps someone who isn't biased as fuck should tell the guy what the game actually is.
"Biased as fuck", aka "anyone I disagree with"

Personally, I think all Sonic fans should get a chance to play "Generations".

While Classic Sonic's Spin Dash is a little overpowered and his rolling physics could use some more work, he plays like "Sonic 2".

I'm not sure which 3D Sonic games you've played outside of Adventure and 06, but Modern Sonic plays like a combo of "Unleashed" and "Colors".

There's almost no story here, since the game is mostly "Sonic's Greatest Hits", so I think you'll enjoy it.

Oh I'm sorry if I offended people but the past Genesis games were so terrible I just assumed all Sonic fans would hate them. I wasn't meaning to be provocative.

Buy it.

It's a good game. It plays well, it's designed well, it's a fun experience.

It's a solid title. If all your looking for is classic rolling physics like some people then just go play Sonic 2 again. But if you want a Sonic game that's well made and fun to play, go for it.

Also, everyone else here needs to realize that there are in fact people that might have in some way have had a negative opinion of the 3D games for more than obvious reasons.

Edited by Rusty Spy
  • Thumbs Up 4

That is what I mean smile.png . I hope that clears it up.

You just want to buy Generations because it has Classic gameplay in it, fine I'll answer your question. No, Classic Sonic in Generations is nowhere near as good as the Genesis/Megadrive games...but it's not a bad game because of that, and you should still buy it anyway, hell the game is bloody cheap now.

Edited by KrazyBean

Or maybe, "watching things go fast" just might not be a totally accurate explanation of the game hmm?

• Thumbs Up 2

No, not glitchy. Poorly designed. The gameplay is shallow and heavily restricted, and only allows for two things; memorizing the level to watch a thing go fast, and bland, clunky platforming.

I'm a bit confused here. That's what the Genesis games were all about wasn't it? memorising the level to run through it as fast as you can?

So is Generations fast like Sonic 2? That's all I care about really. As long as the game is fast and doesn't have silly stuff like a complicated story and slow friends that drag the game down.

Oh I'm sorry if I offended people but the past Genesis games were so terrible I just assumed all Sonic fans would hate them. I wasn't meaning to be provocative.

That shit right there is what you need to stop doing. Stop saying the 3D games are terrible as if it's some sort of obvious fact.

If you liked the classic games because you believe they offered fast, satisfying platforming, and you don't care about the pinball physics aspects of the classic games, you should really like Generations.
I disagree that Generations' platforming is inherently satisfying. It has platforming, whether it's satisfying is up for debate.

While Classic Sonic's Spin Dash is a little overpowered and his rolling physics could use some more work, he plays like "Sonic 2".
It plays like Sonic 2, except it doesn't.

So I'm a bit confused. Some people say Generations is good whilst others seem to be offended because I attacked the new games.

Is Generations a good game?