Awoo.

Monster Hunter 4 (3DS) - Brand Spanking New Trailer

Remy

Admittedly up to this point I had pretty much written this game off as vaporware. There'd been very little media on it since announcement, so I presumed it had either been shelved or maybe reworked for another platform.

But alas! New trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDZznlD-PL8&feature=youtu.be

It certainly looks like Monster Hunter! although albeit a lot more run jump n' climby. The textures are kind of shitty but the gameplay it self looks solid from the trailer. If it has that MH feel it'll be good for sure.

I'm aware we had a topic about this and 3G ages ago, it's better if we have a dedicated one for this game, especially now that media will presumably be rolling out.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh dang! I never actually got to play a Monster Hunter game, and since I'm usually low on 3DS games, I guess this would be a great time to get it, <3.

I hoped 3G was a lazy stopgap in the series and they'd make 4 look good, boy was I wrong. Looks fucking terrible, jaggies everywhere (herp derp pun), abysmal texture work and asset reusing up the ass.

With the success these games enjoy you'd think they'd put some of that cash towards making it look good. Dat Capcom.

Oh dang! I never actually got to play a Monster Hunter game, and since I'm usually low on 3DS games, I guess this would be a great time to get it, <3.

I hope that 3DS of yours is Japanese, else you're screwed. Oh, and you might as well get the frankenstick too because the d-pad camera is a crime against humanity. Oh, and as per tradition with both the MH franchise and Nintendo hardware there's zero online coop, and you want to play this with friends.

Don't get the wrong idea, I say all of this while currently grinding my ass through MHFU, but if it wasn't for the second stick emulation and Adhoc Party I'd have deleted the game two hours in. It's a really fun game when all the factors align, and Capcom seems intent on blocking those factors from western audiences.

Edited by Dobkeratops

So it's definite that MH4 isn't coming to the U.S? Sad, since I've played every MH besides Frontier... it was easier to play the Japanese only titles on the psp but 2nd G ended up coming here to the U.S anyway. Wasn't a big fan of MH3rd though, I thought Tri was more than enough.

this seems a lot more fluent in control of the hunter, in Tri it was very RPG styled, does that mean in this one you don't get to choose your hunter or class? and its more of a brawler? looks like it from the trailer... and he does jump and climb and even mounts beasts for finishers, wish i had this in Tri...

So it's definite that MH4 isn't coming to the U.S? Sad, since I've played every MH besides Frontier... it was easier to play the Japanese only titles on the psp but 2nd G ended up coming here to the U.S anyway. Wasn't a big fan of MH3rd though, I thought Tri was more than enough.

No, I was thinking of 3G. Assuming Rush wanted to start now with the latest release since MH4 is next year.

Neither have had a localization announcement thus far whereas the lower key Okami HD port got one day and date with the JP reveal. Just saiyan'.

this seems a lot more fluent in control of the hunter, in Tri it was very RPG styled, does that mean in this one you don't get to choose your hunter or class? and its more of a brawler? looks like it from the trailer... and he does jump and climb and even mounts beasts for finishers, wish i had this in Tri...

Huh, choosing hunter/class? You'll pick an appearance and get equipped with whatever you want whenever you want like in every MH. I don't see anything here that implies a restriction on the usual formula.

just from the trailer it looks even more combat heavy than tri, and in the trailer for Tri they showed more than one person/class during the trailer, this one is the same guy with the same weapon set just leads me to think it might play out with just him and his weapon load out.

i'm probably thinking too far into this, since i've barely played Tri since i beat the 3rd/4th main beast mission i think, its a game that doesn't grip me because of the RPG element and slow "trial and error" formula with finding a beast's weakness.

just from the trailer it looks even more combat heavy than tri, and in the trailer for Tri they showed more than one person/class during the trailer, this one is the same guy with the same weapon set just leads me to think it might play out with just him and his weapon load out.

no i wanted to at some point, but i feel i've lost out on my original play through... would be cool to tackle it with someone more experienced, the unpredictability of the monsters in the game scare me, like that blasted Lagiacrus who sometimes comes into the lagoon and its just nerve racking haha

i did enjoy it at first, but felt rather pathetic when the great jaggy kept kicking my ass, then i beat him and felt like the greatest warrior ever... then immediately got my ass handed me to the Quarpecco (sp?) so i gave up lmao

i did hear the heart of MH is in the coop strategy of taking down a monster, i must try it sometime i dust the game off again.

i do agree that this looks like ass compared to Tri, although i like the nimbleness of the hunter and better evasive movements he seems to be pulling, also mounting the beasts if you dare, hopefully Capcom shape up this title before release, it's appalling to look at for what the 3DS can handle!

the only 3DS title i'm looking forward to this year is castlevania actually..

well, here's hoping it gets localized. I personally didn't mind utilizing the claw for camera controls but hopefully if you don't have the second slide pad, they let you use the screen for camera (which I could have sworn I've seen before in an earlier trailer).

Tri it was very RPG styled,

aside from having somewhat of a story in Tri, I don't really agree with that statement. I'd say it's more of a hack and slash.

Well, it's naturally grindy. Tons of boss pattern memorization, time spent changing equipments just to tackle a new hunt with an extra thick layer of boring if you're in single player.

Thus why I love MH. A great challenge first time around

I hope that 3DS of yours is Japanese, else you're screwed. Oh, and you might as well get the frankenstick too because the d-pad camera is a crime against humanity. Oh, and as per tradition with both the MH franchise and Nintendo hardware there's zero online coop, and you want to play this with friends.

Aaaand there goes any chance of me liking it in a few sentences, let alone even being able to play it. *strolls along*

Aaaand there goes any chance of me liking it in a few sentences, let alone even being able to play it. *strolls along*

Haha, I paint a pretty grim picture but if you have a Wii you can play Tri with a classic controller and it has some sort of online I think.

Alternatively on a Vita you can get Freedom Unite, map the d-pad to the right stick and Adhoc Party via PS3 to play online. This is what I'm doing and it's a lot of fun*

These will get you decent camera control, localized text and a means to play with friends. Should you have the hardware to do either option, I'd give it a shot. Unite is on PSN sale (<$10), Tri should be cheap by now too.

*Except when it's Plesioth hunting WwFsP.gif

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I can't WAIT for this beast! Sure, the textures look kinda eh, but MH is a HUGE game with a lot of shit going on at once. Besides, it looks MUCH better than the PSP games in terms of bloom and lighting and monsters and, you know, better jaggies. Also, just because it hasn't been announced yet doesn't mean it won't come. MHTri wasn't announced the same day as Japan's release date reveal and Okami HD is a DOWNLOADABLE PORT of a game that already exists with the script already done.

Haha, I paint a pretty grim picture but if you have a Wii you can play Tri with a classic controller and it has some sort of online I think.

Nah, you definitely can. Those in Japan actually have to pay for the online, outside of Japan they don't need to pay to play online.

Also, just because it hasn't been announced yet doesn't mean it won't come.

Yeah, but the localizing of MH games have always been an issue with Capcom. To be frank, it isn't as popular as they would like it to be outside of Japan, especially in the U.S. Although, I could have sworn Tri and Unite sold relatively well, especially Unite being a Psp title and all.

Welp since MH3G is coming later this year a year after the JPN release, and MH4 is coming spring 2013, it saddens me that we may not be able to play this game until late 2013 early 2014.

aside from having somewhat of a story in Tri, I don't really agree with that statement. I'd say it's more of a hack and slash.

it was very much RPG styled actually, with armour & weapon crafting, food making, weapon upgrading, side quests and a main story, the area's set out like dungeon layouts and a map.

it was far from a hack and slash, you couldn't beat the game by just mashing the attack button, it took strategy and thought.

it was very much RPG styled actually, with armour & weapon crafting, food making, weapon upgrading, side quests and a main story, the area's set out like dungeon layouts and a map.

it was far from a hack and slash, you couldn't beat the game by just mashing the attack button, it took strategy and thought.

I beg to differ XD alas I get what you mean. Mashing all da buttons is all I did when I first got the game for the ps2.... good times

i tried to do that when i got it but the stupid stamina meter kept running out...

i tried to do that when i got it but the stupid stamina meter kept running out...

you gotta save that meter for running away from the bigger monsters XD

Edited by LunarEdge

What a coincidence, just got back into Monster Hunter Tri very recently. :P

Trailer looks pretty cool. The textures however looky really shitty, and normally I don't even care for those sorts of things. And the new wall climbing combat... I'm not too sure about, but then again I was feeling the same about underwater combat and that turned out alright. I have a terrible feeling this isn't going to reach UK stores though.

What a coincidence, just got back into Monster Hunter Tri very recently. tongue.png

Trailer looks pretty cool. The textures however looky really shitty, and normally I don't even care for those sorts of things. And the new wall climbing combat... I'm not too sure about, but then again I was feeling the same about underwater combat and that turned out alright. I have a terrible feeling this isn't going to reach UK stores though.

I think it's only fair seeing how they are taking gameplay for something that's suppose to be on a 3DS and stretching it to make these videos. I'm pretty sure on the 3DS itself it will look better due to the smaller screen ultimately making the textures look better

Concept Art

monster_hunter_4_art.jpg

monster_hunter_4_characters.jpg

So a bit of a western theme huh?

Edited by Nintendoga

Man I love the design of that little short dude (he could be related to Eggman 8D) and that blonde haired girl with the axe.

Nice concept art.

Edited by Punk

Looks like the village NPCs to me.

I see we've already met our quota of short old guy sitting on something, only missing the tiny granny with huge sack on her back for the errant merchant role. And they will make cat in heat noises when spoken to.