Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)- How Many? One Mirrion Coins.

Nintendoga

Well, if you want a 3DS platformer, this is probably a pretty good one, even though it's in no way ambitious.

... Should I feel bad for still wanting to play this game, even after perusing all the spoilered content?

no you shouldn't. I spoiled myself on New Super Mario Bros Wii and Sonic colors and still wanted to play it

Wow, that beeping when you run and fly with the Racoon Leaf is loud and annoying as hell.

One cannot describe the joy that entered a young kid's heart when that loud beeping noise went off in Super Mario Bros. 3.

I'm slightly disappointed that the "HUAY" noise is now just relegated to the tail swipe, and not the flight and hovering descent though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not sure if real or fake, but if it's real, then that's some nice fanservice there

jdI2U.png

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 5

Ahh, refresh me, isn't that the whole, "you can only save after clearing a fortress or castle" thing? So there's no quick save like NSMBWii?

Yep.

All of the memories of me forgetting to save in NSMB is coming back to me now.

I'm glad that Luigi in single player is true. For some reason if Luigi is a viable option I will always go 8 time out of 10 with him instead of Mario.

Also Nintendoga if that first screen in your recent post is true I'm really excited to see it.

• Thumbs Up 1

OH GOOOOOOOD

HEY I'M NINTENDO DO YOU LIKE MARIO OF COURSE YOU DO I HOPE YOU LIKE MARIO BROS. 3 BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO BE IN EVERY FUCKING GAME EVERRRRRRRRRR

Fuck Mario Bros. 3. Super Mario World whoops its ass like a baby fighting Muhammed Ali.

OH GOOOOOOOD

HEY I'M NINTENDO DO YOU LIKE MARIO OF COURSE YOU DO I HOPE YOU LIKE MARIO BROS. 3 BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO BE IN EVERY FUCKING GAME EVERRRRRRRRRR

Fuck Mario Bros. 3. Super Mario World whoops its ass like a baby fighting Muhammed Ali.

Reznor says "Hi!"

I prefer SMB3 over SMW, if only because of the music. I get put to sleep after playing SMW for so long after hearing the main theme remixed 25 different times.

I'll jam right through SMB3 with Grass Land, Overworld 1, Pipe Land, Airship, and Ice Land playing in the background, thanks.

Come to think of it, NSMB retained that sense of consistency with Super Mario World. Maybe that's a reason why I don't play them often. :V

Edited by Qwilfish

I still think this looks fun so don't take what I have to say to heart too much if you really love the way this looks. With how much seems to be reused from NSMBW I think it's obvious this was just a quick way to move some 3DS units for the holidays. I honestly feel that NSMBU is the true follow up for the series and is where most of the effort is going.

Concerning the first picture in Nintendoga's post

The Kuribo Shoe was apparently a beta element that has since been removed. People have been expressing disappointment that it was scrapped near the end of development.

fak u nintndo. YOU HAD ME AND THEN YOU LOST ME.

Actually the game still looks fairly decent, but I'm back to "maybe" now.

Edited by chili duck

Concerning the first picture in Nintendoga's post

The Kuribo Shoe was apparently a beta element that has since been removed. People have been expressing disappointment that it was scrapped near the end of development.

Complete list of level tropes, bosses, how they work and shit

World 1 (Grassland)

Tower: Two Reznors

Castle: Roy - Charges back and forth trying to hit you with his shoulder. If you jump over him just as he gets to a wall, he'll crash into it and be stunned for a short time. Each time you jump on him, the walls close in a bit giving you less room to avoid him. After he goes into his shell, he shoots a fireball before charging again.

World 2 (Desert)

Tower: Four Reznors

Castle: Iggy - Rides a platform connected to a Chain Chomp around the arena. The Chomp sometimes goes off screen and comes back from a different part of the screen. Each time he's hit, the Chomp goes into a rage and heads off screen quickly. Iggy starts shooting fireballs after the first hit. After the second hit, the Chomp begins actively chasing you.

World Mushroom (Accessed from World 1-Cannon)

Castle: Larry - Jumps around a room with three floating platforms and shoots fireballs that rebound off the walls. There are two pillars in the ceiling and two in the floor that alternately extend into the arena in order to impede you from reaching Larry. His tactics do not appear to change later in the fight.

World 3 (Seaside and Forest)

Castle: Wendy - Fills the arena with water and then jumps around. She can't be hurt as long as she's underwater. While the room is flooded, Cheep Cheeps swim out of the pipes in the walls. Once the water drains, Wendy whistles for Cheep Cheeps to jump out of the water beneath the bridge. The water refills after she goes into her shell. Her tactics do not appear to change later in the fight.

World 4 (Ice)

Tower: Four Reznors on two different wheels (2 per wheel) over a pit, with a platform on each side.

Castle: Morton - Stands on a platform at the top center of the room and creates spiked balls that roll down the ramps. After shooting a spiked ball, he jumps and creates a shockwave which freezes you in place if you're touching the floor. When he goes into his shell, he falls down the ramps and goes off screen, then a Warp Pipe spits him back out at the top causing another shockwave. After the second hit, he'll create two spiked balls in immediate succession.

World Flower (Accessed from World 3-Cannon or World Mushroom-Cannon)

Castle: Lemmy - Fought on a conveyor belt while riding his ball. He shoots balls at you to try and knock you off the belt. There is a button at the top of the room that switches the conveyor belt's direction. When he spins in his shell, Lemmy hops off of his ball. His tactics do not appear to change later in the fight.

World 5 (Mountain and Sky)

Tower: Four Reznors on two different wheels (2 per wheel) with only a single platform in between the two of them.

Castle: Ludwig - Hangs from chains at the top of the room and shoots three fireballs before switching chains. You have to get into one of the cannons on the floor which fire you straight up after a few seconds. When you hit him, he falls to the floor stunned where you have to jump on him. After he goes into his shell, he flutter jumps back up to the chains. After the first hit he shoots four fireballs and after the second he starts swinging on the chains so that you have to time your shot.

World 6 (Lava)

Tower: Four Reznors on one giant wheel with eight platforms.

Castle: Bowser - In the first part he breathes fire and throws hammers. When he jumps you have to run under him and press the switch to destroy the bridge.

In the second phase, the Koopalings use their wands to make him giant and you have to escape up a vertical passage. You ride platforms that move upwards but start to fall when you step on them. Lava is rising at the bottom of the screen and Bowser is in the background trying to destroy the platforms one at a time with his claws. Twice in the chase, you stop on a bridge and Bowser breathes fire across it before the lava catches up and the chase continues. Late in the chase, statues on the walls start shooting fire. At the very top of the passage is another button that needs to be pressed to end the battle.

World Star (Beat Bowser and pay 90 Star Coins)

Castle: Dry Bowser - Basically a more difficult version of the regular Bowser battle. In the first part, he throws bones instead of hammers. During the second phase, Dry Bowser moves faster and the floating platforms are smaller.

And World Mushroom, Flower, and Star use level tropes from other worlds.

• Thumbs Up 4

Complete list of level tropes, bosses, how they work and shit

World 1 (Grassland)

Tower: Two Reznors

Castle: Roy - Charges back and forth trying to hit you with his shoulder. If you jump over him just as he gets to a wall, he'll crash into it and be stunned for a short time. Each time you jump on him, the walls close in a bit giving you less room to avoid him. After he goes into his shell, he shoots a fireball before charging again.

World 2 (Desert)

Castle: Iggy - Rides a platform connected to a Chain Chomp around the arena. The Chomp sometimes goes off screen and comes back from a different part of the screen. Each time he's hit, the Chomp goes into a rage and heads off screen quickly. Iggy starts shooting fireballs after the first hit. After the second hit, the Chomp begins actively chasing you.

World Mushroom (Accessed from World 1-Cannon)

Castle: Larry - Jumps around a room with three floating platforms and shoots fireballs that rebound off the walls. There are two pillars in the ceiling and two in the floor that alternately extend into the arena in order to impede you from reaching Larry. His tactics do not appear to change later in the fight.

World 3 (Seaside and Forest)

Castle: Wendy - Fills the arena with water and then jumps around. She can't be hurt as long as she's underwater. While the room is flooded, Cheep Cheeps swim out of the pipes in the walls. Once the water drains, Wendy whistles for Cheep Cheeps to jump out of the water beneath the bridge. The water refills after she goes into her shell. Her tactics do not appear to change later in the fight.

World 4 (Ice)

Tower: Four Reznors on two different wheels (2 per wheel) over a pit, with a platform on each side.

Castle: Morton - Stands on a platform at the top center of the room and creates spiked balls that roll down the ramps. After shooting a spiked ball, he jumps and creates a shockwave which freezes you in place if you're touching the floor. When he goes into his shell, he falls down the ramps and goes off screen, then a Warp Pipe spits him back out at the top causing another shockwave. After the second hit, he'll create two spiked balls in immediate succession.

World Flower (Accessed from World 3-Cannon or World Mushroom-Cannon)

Castle: Lemmy - Fought on a conveyor belt while riding his ball. He shoots balls at you to try and knock you off the belt. There is a button at the top of the room that switches the conveyor belt's direction. When he spins in his shell, Lemmy hops off of his ball. His tactics do not appear to change later in the fight.

World 5 (Mountain and Sky)

Tower: Four Reznors on two different wheels (2 per wheel) with only a single platform in between the two of them.

Castle: Ludwig - Hangs from chains at the top of the room and shoots three fireballs before switching chains. You have to get into one of the cannons on the floor which fire you straight up after a few seconds. When you hit him, he falls to the floor stunned where you have to jump on him. After he goes into his shell, he flutter jumps back up to the chains. After the first hit he shoots four fireballs and after the second he starts swinging on the chains so that you have to time your shot.

World 6 (Lava)

Tower: Four Reznors on one giant wheel with eight platforms.

Castle: Bowser - In the first part he breathes fire and throws hammers. When he jumps you have to run under him and press the switch to destroy the bridge.

In the second phase, the Koopalings use their wands to make him giant and you have to escape up a vertical passage. You ride platforms that move upwards but start to fall when you step on them. Lava is rising at the bottom of the screen and Bowser is in the background trying to destroy the platforms one at a time with his claws. Twice in the chase, you stop on a bridge and Bowser breathes fire across it before the lava catches up and the chase continues. Late in the chase, statues on the walls start shooting fire. At the very top of the passage is another button that needs to be pressed to end the battle.

World Star (Beat Bowser and pay 90 Star Coins)

Castle: Dry Bowser - Basically a more difficult version of the regular Bowser battle. In the first part, he throws bones instead of hammers. During the second phase, Dry Bowser moves faster and the floating platforms are smaller.

And World Mushroom, Flower, and Star use level tropes from other worlds.

I knew that Mountain and sky would be another combo option. Also if the kuribo shoe was removed maybe we can push for it in DLC if enough people catch wind of it.

I still think this looks fun so don't take what I have to say to heart too much if you really love the way this looks. With how much seems to be reused from NSMBW I think it's obvious this was just a quick way to move some 3DS units for the holidays. I honestly feel that NSMBU is the true follow up for the series and is where most of the effort is going.

I don't know if you'll agree with me but for a game where new people came in to design levels it on par with NSMBWii

I don't know if you'll agree with me but for a game where new people came in to design levels it on par with NSMBWii

Couldn't say for sure yet since I haven't played this yet and I've hardly spoiled any of the levels for myself. I did however watch the final battle because we all knew who it was going to be anyway. The fight

seems like a blatant copy of the fight from NSMBW except with a different camera angle. You fight regular Bowser on the bridge, beat him and get a fake out saved Peach moment, now the Koopakids instead of Kamek use their magic to make Bowser large, it even does that thing where he hits them with his head when he gets big like he did Kamek, the Bowser animation music and overall feel to the fight are really almost the same as the fight from NSMBW. It still looks kinda cool but like everything else in this game lacks originality big time.

I'm willing to bet NSMBU ends up being vastly superior. NSMB < NSMBW, NSMB2 < NSMBU. U looks much more original and I honestly think that's where they're putting most of their effort. Don't get me wrong though, 2 still looks fun and I'm getting it day 1.

Edited by speedfreak

This one looks great, and to me, this is just an appetizer for NSMB U. My favorite has to be the original Nintendo DS game, because I've put hours into that game. On the other hand, Wii is awesome because of it's multiplayer and I love pulling it out at family events because it's just so funny seeing everyone jump on top of eachother to get to a ledge and race for the flagpole.

Destructoid Review!

Jim Sterling Reviews the game, and he says it's

good

Full Review here: http://www.destructo...-2-232194.phtml

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is good. It was always going to be good, because Nintendo makes good games. That was never in doubt. However, it's a markedly more vacuous experience, bereft as it is of fresh gameplay and rigidly sticking to a formula with such zeal one would almost believe it a religious imperative of the developers. The coin collecting silliness may alter the player's approach somewhat, but it is nonetheless superficial and many players will doubtless get bored of it before hitting their million. The gimmick serves as an allegory for the entire game, really -- a glittering distraction, lacking any real substance.

At its core, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a Mushroom Kingdom coin -- shiny and addictive, but carrying no practical value whatsoever. Everything's enjoyable, everything is as good as it's always been ... but it never strives to be better.

Verdict 7/10

Official Nintendo Magazine Review

Full Review here: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/40460/new-super-mario-bros-2-review/?page=1

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is the very definition of bitter-sweet, giving with one hand and then taking away with the other. By default it's the best side-scrolling platformer on the 3DS and yes, it's even better than the original New Super Mario Bros. But that came out six years ago now, and in that time we'd really expected the series to have progressed a little further than just a 3D effect and Coin Rush mode.

You should by all means still run out and grab New Super Mario Bros 2 when it's released on 17 August because it still provides another serving of the Mario action you know and love. It's just that in the grand scheme of things it could have been so much more.

Verdict 90%

Edited by Nintendoga

Dear Nintendo,

Please make a Mario game that actually has some ambition next time and at least makes some kind of active attempt to progress the series and improve upon it. Really there is no reason for this game to exist. At all. What has it done for the series apart from justify the fact that Ninty's becoming lazy with Mario? How has it helped Mario develop? Milking a formula from 2006 (that in itself had its own flaws, games like Super Mario World felt a lot more satisfying to control imo) and not improving it AT ALL in 6 years is ridiculous. Mario's fundamental formula is solid. Excellent infact but that doesn't exempt him. There is always room for improvement. Always room for creative new ideas. It's sad that this game will most likely receive positive review scores across the board simply because "It's a Mario platformer, it can do no wrong".

On a side note, thank god for Jim Sterling's review. As annoying as I can find him, he hit the nail on the head.

• Thumbs Up 6