Awoo.

Kind of an odd observation...

Blazey Firekitty

Was thinking about the rivalry between Sonic and Eggman in the games for a bit, and eventually came to a somewhat amusing conclusion.

Sonic is a person who gains most of his triumphs through exceptional use of physical talents. He has lots of friends who look up to him and/or think he's cool.

Eggman is a person who gains most of his triumphs through exceptional use of mental talents. He has little to know friends, and tends to be looked down upon for being strange or silly.

Basically, the Sonic game series boils down to a jock and a nerd beating each other up.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Mechano

• Blazey Firekitty

• Rusty Spy

• Little Miss Fortunes

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think it's deeper than that.

Eggman's robots, who for the most part have sentience (In Unleashed, we're shown that yes, even the common grunts have personalities) seem to- for the most- like Eggman, with traitors being few and far between (What's a Gamma or an Omega to the hundreds of loyal soldiers?).

In a sense, said robots could be considered Eggman's friends/surrogate "family", although we never get to see them interact, so we can't know for sure. (Though this is certainly true in Sonic X at least.)

Besides, even in your analogy- Nerds usually do have friends. ...They're just, well, other nerds most of the time. Eggman had something of a friendship with Nega before he turned on him(Notice in the dialog, Eggman is friendly and casual, calling him by his nickname "Nega", while Nega himself formally calls him "Dr. Eggman".)

It's sad, really. Eggman finally found someone similar to him that he genuinely enjoyed the company of, who ends up being a psychotic madman bent on killing everyone, including them.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

...Wow, that's an interesting way of looking at it! :lol:

I think it's more the fact that Sonic and Eggman are so similar but with ideals at the opposite ends of the spectrum, though (the jock is best friends with another nerd, after all! XD). They're both lively and egotistical characters, though whereas Eggman wants to control things, Sonic's all about freedom and letting things run their course naturally.

I think it's quite a sad irony that Sonic dislikes to be smothered with too much attention/affection and praise, whilst Eggman would love to be smothered with it, though. Makes me wonder how they'd react if their popularity were to be reversed...

I think it's quite a sad irony that Sonic dislikes to be smothered with too much attention/affection and praise, whilst Eggman would love to be smothered with it, though. Makes me wonder how they'd react if their popularity were to be reversed...

This too- Sonic just does what he thinks he should, and gets lots of unwanted attention for it.

Meanwhile, Eggman tries so hard to be loved, but just isn't(In-universe, I mean. He has plenty of fans in real life), the poor guy.

Basically, the Sonic game series boils down to a jock and a nerd beating each other up.

Well sort of, except it's the nerd pushing the jocks into the lockers and not vice versa.

Well sort of, except it's the nerd pushing the jocks into the lockers and not vice versa.

But the lockers (robots) are self-aware, according to recent games.

...This creates a whole new dilemma, doesn't it?

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I think if Eggman ever became REAL he'd feel very loved. <3 Heck I'll marry him and help him do evil stuffs.

This is an interesting view to have Blazey, as Gordo has said it is a bit deeper than that but it its most basic form it is a sort of jock/nerd battle of wits isn't it.

I think if Eggman ever became REAL he'd feel very loved. <3 Heck I'll marry him and help him do evil stuffs.

This is an interesting view to have Blazey, as Gordo has said it is a bit deeper than that but it its most basic form it is a sort of jock/nerd battle of wits isn't it.

Sounds like you'd have lots of fun.^^

But yeah, it's kinda funny how Gordo and Summer tend to have a knack for taking my basic thoughts and fleshing 'em out more. :lol:

You actually have interesting point about Nega, Gordo. It's actually pretty sad in retrospect how in the original Rush he seemed genuinely dedicated to helping Eggman build his dream world. That kindness seems to have been retconned away as being a lie.^_^;;

You actually have interesting point about Nega, Gordo. It's actually pretty sad in retrospect how in the original Rush he seemed genuinely dedicated to helping Eggman build his dream world. That kindness seems to have been retconned away as being a lie.^_^;;

It wasn't retconned. In Rush, Nega refers to Eggman as a "fool" when he's not around- Nega was playing him for a patsy since the start, but Eggman seemed to genuinely like Nega as a person, treating him like a friend in Rush and Rush Adventure. I see Eggman's friendship with Nega as genuine, while Nega's with Eggman was not, if that makes sense.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

It was sort of an analogy, like it's the nerds(Eggman) beating up on the jocks(Sonic) and being the general dick to everyone else and not vice versa. ^_^;

I see no dilemma, the one that is in control is not the animal. The robot is just using it.

I see no dilemma, the one that is in control is not the animal. The robot is just using it.

Eh, which is probably why it's a good thing Eggman doesn't really do that anymore- His current robots seem to not have any organic power sources these days.

If Gamma was any indication, the animal is not the robot's consciousness- But it seems able to affect it slightly. This could have been noted as a flaw in the animal power sources, leading Eggman to slowly get away from it.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

It wasn't retconned. In Rush, Nega refers to Eggman as a "fool" when he's not around- Nega was playing him for a patsy since the start, but Eggman seemed to genuinely like Nega as a person, treating him like a friend in Rush and Rush Adventure. I see Eggman's friendship with Nega as genuine, while Nega's with Eggman was not, if that makes sense.

Heh, surprised I forgot that, even though I've beaten rush so many times.

But yeah, that makes perfect sense to me. Eggman sincerely caring about Nega, while Nega just uses Eggman for his own selfish agenda.

To expand upon the original analogy: The Sonic series is about a nerd being a jerk to a jock by stuffing him in self-aware lockers, and then the jock escaping the locker and beating up the nerd, and then the jock and the nerd teaming up to defeat the godly Principal.

:blink:

Or it could be about a blue hedgehog with super speed trying to defeat an evil egg-shaped super genius from taking over the world.

Isn't THAT an analogy?