Awoo.

Fan Concepts for Sonic Games

Chaos Warp

I know it would be very hard to implement, but I would love to see an open world Sonic game where land was easily traversable with the boost and all.

I know it would be very hard to implement, but I would love to see an open world Sonic game where land was easily traversable with the boost and all.

You know this is an idea I heard a lot but don't really see how it can work. What are your ideas? Like what would Sonic do? Gameplay and missions etc?

You know this is an idea I heard a lot but don't really see how it can work. What are your ideas? Like what would Sonic do? Gameplay and missions etc?

LET'S DO IT!

BASIC GAMEPLAY

Well, worlds would be designed like a massive Sonic stage without a goal, with lots of wide open spaces to traverse, all the typical Sonic objects (but not automated as you need to be able to explore in all directions) and mixed terrain, from blocky-platforming urban stuff, to natural momentum playgrounds (some mechanics I mention later will play into this). Sonic's moveset would actually be customizeable, adding some RPG elements to this.

Some of the moves equipable would be all the Unleashed moves (the boost would actually not help you on slopes, as your air momentum would dissipate extremely fast if you boosted off a slope, making rolling useful for that), rolling/spindash, some Adventure moves like the bounce/bound jump, and some high speed combat moves which would make combat easier. Combat would still be Sonic-y, with the more combat-oriented moves focusing on not taking down health-bar enemies easier, but taking out more enemies faster, shield removal and hitting weak spots easier, all while keeping a Sonic pace. The idea is you would equip more Unleashed moves for covering ground faster, rolling and Adventure-esque moves for exploring and momentum-play, and combat moves for taking out robots easier. You could also explore to find powerups which would grant you even more equipable moves. There would be NPC's to talk to, and they would give out unique missons. You would only be able to equip a certain amount of moves at a time, and equipping certain moves wound make you not able to equip certain moves (For example: you are not able to equip spindash if you have equipped boost, and vice versa).

MISSIONS AND OBJECTIVES

As for main objectives, you would have stuff like, "Find Tails!", "Destroy All The Robots In This Area!", "Find A Way Aboard The Egg Carrier!", and such, which would require you to switch your moveset according to what you have to do. You could also have missons that require you to get somewhere across the open world (kind of like a stage, but in a open world), which would often come with a side objective like a Time Limit, a Destroy All The Robots Along The Way (your map screen would mark their locations), or a Get There While Hitting Certain Checkpoints, and such, also requiring you to tweak your moveset (you can not change your moveset while you are in the middle of a mission). Before you do the mission, they give you info about it, to help you decide what moves to equip. As stated before, there would be NPC's and they would give out unique missions.

So yeah, that's my idea. Keep in mind it's still very rough, as I am just starting to think of this.

Edited by Christmas Warp

LET'S DO IT!

BASIC GAMEPLAY

Well, worlds would be designed like a massive Sonic stage without a goal, with lots of wide open spaces to traverse, all the typical Sonic objects (but not automated as you need to be able to explore in all directions) and mixed terrain, from blocky-platforming urban stuff, to natural momentum playgrounds (some mechanics I mention later will play into this). Sonic's moveset would actually be customizeable, adding some RPG elements to this.

Some of the moves equipable would be all the Unleashed moves (the boost would actually not help you on slopes, as your air momentum would dissipate extremely fast if you boosted off a slope, making rolling useful for that), rolling/spindash, some Adventure moves like the bounce/bound jump, and some high speed combat moves which would make combat easier. Combat would still be Sonic-y, with the more combat-oriented moves focusing on not taking down health-bar enemies easier, but taking out more enemies faster, shield removal and hitting weak spots easier, all while keeping a Sonic pace. The idea is you would equip more Unleashed moves for covering ground faster, rolling and Adventure-esque moves for exploring and momentum-play, and combat moves for taking out robots easier. You could also explore to find powerups which would grant you even more equipable moves. There would be NPC's to talk to, and they would give out unique missons. You would only be able to equip a certain amount of moves at a time, and equipping certain moves wound make you not able to equip certain moves (For example: you are not able to equip spindash if you have equipped boost, and vice versa).

MISSIONS AND OBJECTIVES

As for main objectives, you would have stuff like, "Find Tails!", "Destroy All The Robots In This Area!", "Find A Way Aboard The Egg Carrier!", and such, which would require you to switch your moveset according to what you have to do. You could also have missons that require you to get somewhere across the open world (kind of like a stage, but in a open world), which would often come with a side objective like a Time Limit, a Destroy All The Robots Along The Way (your map screen would mark their locations), or a Get There While Hitting Certain Checkpoints, and such, also requiring you to tweak your moveset (you can not change your moveset while you are in the middle of a mission). Before you do the mission, they give you info about it, to help you decide what moves to equip. As stated before, there would be NPC's and they would give out unique missions.

So yeah, that's my idea. Keep in mind it's still very rough, as I am just starting to think of this.

Well that sounds interesting for some reason when I imagined it I think of Mario 64 though with a Sonic twist. I would like to see this made and try it out though cool.png

Well that sounds interesting for some reason when I imagined it I think of Mario 64 though with a Sonic twist. I would like to see this made and try it out though cool.png

Mario 64 huh? Never thought of it that way before lol. Glad you like it!

though I think Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic 06 are as close to an open world Sonic games are going to get

though I think Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic 06 are as close to an open world Sonic games are going to get

What about Unleashed?

What about Unleashed?

Oh yeah somehow I forgot about Unleashed (where it would have been nice to be able to run from location to location instead of using the map)

Oh yeah somehow I forgot about Unleashed (where it would have been nice to be able to run from location to location instead of using the map)

Do you mean the Countries/Cities alone, or the Whole world as a Whole?

It might be difficult to Boost across the Ocean in-game. I'm sure Sonic could do it In-Universe, but...

Do you mean the Countries/Cities alone, or the Whole world as a Whole?

It might be difficult to Boost across the Ocean in-game. I'm sure Sonic could do it In-Universe, but...

I doubt it. Remember before Tails came along the Tornado was Sonic's plane, and that was so he could get to places he normally can't run to.

Yeah I know that Sonic couldn't travel the whole world to the different countries since the world was broken into pieces and the whole boosting in the ocean would be difficult. Though they could have done like in Sonic Rush Adventure where one could use the Tornado to travel from continent to continent and encounter enemies find missions etc etc...