Awoo.

Are the 2D sections in Modern Sonic gameplay even needed?

Soniman

What Scar said. I would prefer if it was just used when it made sense, for example, a cliff face, or maybe a vertical climb up a under-construction building on scaffolding, or maybe a narrow ridge. Wherever it would be awkward to have 3d controls.

Maybe, just for experimentation's sake, they could limit 2D to indoor sections? Outdoors would be free and open and 3D, but when you dip into water, a cave or a building, 2D comes into action. It'd provide clearer definition of whenever a 2D section is approaching, but on the flipside they'd have to limit the amount of indoor locations in the game, lest they bulk it out with too much sidescrolling.

Just a pondering.

Everyone wants their 3Ds and their Sonic modern styles and the withwhats, but...

Guys. Let's not be hasty, just think for a second:

Underwater 3D sections.

I'd die. ._.

The way they implemented 2D in Sonic Colors, Generations, im fine, makes it more fun for me since im a old school gamer, and it seems the way the style of gameplay is, is getting popular with the general audience. That kind of gameplay kept getting Sonic get good ratings with the crowd, so I think its needed for now.

Personally I would rather have seperate full 2.5D/2D stages and seperate full-3D stages rather than a mixture of both.

No and I think that they should go away. If Sega wants to make a 2-D Sonic game that's fine, but I think that the 3-D games should be completly in 3-D. I hate that Modern Sonic's version of "City Escape" has 2-D sections at all.

You know I hear everyone bawwing "I hate 2D sections, whine whine whine" seriously what's the problem with it? So what if its a 3D game? Does that mean the developers aren't allowed the throw the occasional 2.5D section once in a while? The problem is the ratio, not the 2D sections themselves; I think a good solution of they want to continue would be to just make it a 70:30 Ratio for 3D/2D.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know I hear everyone bawwing "I hate 2D sections, whine whine whine" seriously what's the problem with it? So what if its a 3D game? Does that mean the developers aren't allowed the throw the occasional 2.5D section once in a while? The problem is the ratio, not the 2D sections themselves; I think a good solution of they want to continue would be to just make it a 70:30 Ratio for 3D/2D.

2D is what made Sonic...well likeable to begin with! Hell Mario Galaxy had 2d sections in a 3D realm. I don't believe, if a 3D Sonic game is made, it can only be in 3D environments, and of course to the "general" gamers out there, 2D and 3D seems to be working perfectly and for reviewers.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking this actually. In Unleashed in was a nice throwback, in Colors it was... oh, you know... basically the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME, and in Generations it's another part of the nostalgia factor.

But I think they've proved that 3D platforming is not beyond their capabilities. Don't get me wrong, the 2D/3D mechanic isn't bad as long as the ratio works, but they should change it up sooner or later. Maybe later, they could still improve on it and make me change my mind. :)

Quit being so melodramatic, im just saying that there is no point in having 2D sections in the grand scheme of things and id rather have a full 3D Sonic game

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that I've played Generations I can certainly say if they can keep up that quality of 3D sections there is no need for 2D at all. Maybe bonus levels or literally the occasional section within a level, but overall I think an 80/20 split of 3D/2D would be best - and that's for the whole game, not necessarily each individual level.

Christ the argument that just occurred here was fucking ridiculous.

Don't let me see this happen again.

• Thumbs Up 3