Awoo.

Shouldn't we cut Dimps some slack?

Jeffhog

Please refrain from just posting massive quotes with "this" or I agree after, cheers. Try to actually write a post or make a point. Someone has already been warned in this topic for something similar, soon we start dishing punishment.

As for DIMPS can you really say their games are bad? Mediocre yes, dull perhaps, maybe even average, but I can't exactly call any bad.... except for maybe S4. The DS stuff is pretty consistent, I think and although it's "boost corridor" gameplay (when did this term arise? lol) The games aren't bad by any stretch.

Sorry to be off-topic...but your avatar....it looks 3D-ish O_O

Stay on topic, please. If you want to talk to another member about something unrelated to the topic, take it to PM or profile comments (:

I think it's time for DIMPS to abandon the handheld Sonics and allow another, better developer to work on future projects. They've made some great games, and carried the franchise from 06-09, but they've been going through a downward spiral since UnWiished, and I quite frankly can't see them making any form of recovery in the near future.

A third Rush on 3DS might be cool.

You mean Sonic Colors DS? We got wisps in that Sonic Rush game.

Disclaimer: The following isn't about Generations 3DS, but about Dimps, as the title of this thread implies.

Yes OP, the Sonic Rush formula does, for all intents and purposes, work. However, it doesn't mean it isn't bland or boring. It just feels like a game of "guide the rocket to the finish." In Rush, what purpose did the enemies even serve besides the occasional mid-air homing attack bridge? Were there even ground-based enemies in that game? I think maybe there were, or at least that's what I assume was creating those puffs of smoke as I was trying to reach the end of the level with no sentient opposition. It's true that the first few levels of Sonic Rush 1, 2 (adventure) and 3 (Colors) were simply "boost to win" in layout because the first few levels are supposed to be easy, but after those, it went from "boost to win" to "boost along the roller coaster track and hop on the occasional rail while trying to see what the incoming enemy design is before it dies on the way to the finish." This was just boring to me. But again, it's my opinion.

I was okay with the first Rush because I assumed it was going to be a one-of. The second one was better for me because of all the missions and content... but the gameplay felt exactly the same. Colors DS, still more of the same stuff, but new VA's to stumble across! Yay! biggrin.png The wisps helped a little too... but still mostly the same thing.

Sonic 4... yeah, I'm not even gonna go there. That's just too easy to rip apart. XD

Sonic handled like a construction paper cutout

Now I don't mean to sound so bitter, but that's just the way this compilation of points is coming across, so I'm sorry for that guys.

That being said though, I'm one to speak my mind, and as some of you may have picked up from some of my posts, I don't like Dimps. Yes, I'm on that side of the fence. Dimps Sonic games feel like a cash-in to me. I Loved Sonic Advance though. That game was great. Was that even Dimps? I don't remember. If it was, then there is no valid excuse for Sonic 4 turning out the way it did. I my opinion if Dimps can't deliver the quality they used to, assuming that they did work on Sonic Advance, then Sonic Team/Sega should be the ones to handle Sonic games because looking at the recent track record, the latter team-up seems to know what they're doing.

Now, Generations 3DS.

Who am I to judge? All I've seen are a few videos and screen shots. I don't know. I was fairly excited for it actually. So much so that I even pre-ordered it right along side my 360 version. That was before I learned that it was made by Dimps though, so my excitement has gone down a bit since learning that and reading the kind of reception it has been getting by people who have actually played it. I went from being excited... eh, to feeling mediocre about it. I did buy a 3DS just to get the full Generations experience, after all. Fortunately though, the 3DS seems to be turning out a lot of good games this year, so it was a great investment either way.

I'm sure some of you may be wondering: If I hate the quality of Dimps games so much, then why do I even bother playing them?

Because I'm a sucker for a Sonic story. I enjoy following what goes on in the little blue guy's world. The game could seriously suck and I'd still at least play it through once, not because I'm an extreme loyalist, but because I want to know what happens. The only exception to that rule is anything to do with the storybook series, I don't even consider that garbage (yeah, I'm not afraid to go there) to be cannon. It's purely non-cannon spin-off fodder to me (and probably really is anyway). I don't mean to offend anyone who likes these games or anything, that's just the way I feel about it.

Edited by crush40rocks

I've never been a big fan of the Rush titles but I consider them decent, but with Generations 3DS, may I ask, what were y'all expecting with short development time. Surely you wasn't expecting it to be as thought out as the console version. I'm not saying you should buy the 3DS version and throw pity at Dimps, but good god, I knew as soon as I heard how long they've been developing it for that it wasn't gonna be as thought out as the console version.

As soon as they make another game like this

617492boxart_160w.jpg

Why do people put Advance on such a pedestal? It reallly wasn't that great. If I were to sum up Sonic Advance in just a few words, those words would be poor mans Mega Drive Sonic. It was very average. A very forgettable game.

At least Dimps Sonic games after Advance tried to do things differently, and they were made very well. I love Dimps. The only Dimps Sonic game I haven't liked was Sonic 4. Actually that's a lie. I at least got enjoyment out of it. It was just a big disappointment. I consider the Rush series to be absolutely brilliant and right up there with the best Sonic games ever made. The Dimps hate is absolutely ridiculous. With that said the Sonic 4 and Generations 3DS hate is warranted. Generations 3DS really doesn't look good. The two modern levels shown so far are nowhere near the quality of Rush, Rush Adventure or Colours DS.

But prior to Sonic 4 Dimps put out nothing but good Sonic games. I do feel the Dimps hate is ridiculous, but Sonic 4 and Generations 3DS hate is warranted. Dimps track record for the last ten years is a LOT better than Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 1

I disagree robuttnik. I put sonic advance 1 in high regards as well for a few important factors that made the classics so great. It is of course nowhere near the quality of the classics (imo) but advance 1 was also nowhere near sucking. It was a solid handheld game with pretty good level design...

But there is no denying that dimps's first involvment was aparent even from the first title. For some reason it just got worse from there. Whatever that reason is we may never know but I kind of think that sonic advance 1 had more involvment from the older staff compared to the newer dimps games.

Edited by Jaouad

Why do people put Advance on such a pedestal? It reallly wasn't that great. If I were to sum up Sonic Advance in just a few words, those words would be poor mans Mega Drive Sonic. It was very average. A very forgettable game.

Because it wasn't a game of "guide the rocket to the end using muscle memory." It had great platforming that required the player to actually think about the dexterity and timing of their jumps, proper rolling physics (though Dimps has acquired "physics amnesia" since then apparently), great level design that went in other directions besides right, a selection of characters with vastly different abilities which enabled different play styles, didn't rely on muscle memory style gameplay, wasn't a cheap, recycled cash-in formula, each installment in the series brought new gameplay to the table, wasn't a mindless boost fest... and Mecha Goddamn Knuckles.

Edited by crush40rocks

Give them slack? Why? Did they make some great Sonic game I'm unaware of it?

Sonic Advacne is mediocre, uninspired trash that people praise because they're desperate for anything decent. SA2 is the poster child of "hold right to win", SA3 is more of the same but with a convoluted hub world and even worse collision detection. It has some great looking sprites, but that's about it.

Rush has a great soundtrack, but wonky pacing, boostfest gameplay, random bottomless pits to artifically increase difficulty, and boss fights that drag on way too long and aren't any fun. Rush Adventure is more of that, but with less wonky pacing and more tedious sea battles.

Sonic 4 is fucking terrible. Sonic Generations 3DS looks to be really boring. Haven't played Colors DS, but from what I've seen, its Sonic Rush 3, so I'm not in any hurry.

Sonic Colors DS is in fact Sonic Rush 3, so you're definitely on-point there. I never praised Advance 1 to be too much more than mediocre, but then again, it is the most player-input-involving game they've made that doesn't rely on the combination of muscle memory and boost to win, so it's not saying all that much. I can appreciate the fact that Advance 1 had proper physics, something Sonic 4 didn't (how can anyone explain this? They knew how to program good physics, but then they just forgot? No excuse.).

Advance 1 was kinda fun, but GOD WAS IT BOOOORING. Zones were uninspired, forgettable. Physics? Great. Keeping you hooked in? No way in hell.

Advance 2 was the best, mainly because you needed to react fast otherwise you'd slow down. Also used the Advance engine, so physics. Yay.

Advance 3 was not as good as Advance 2, but it was still good fun. It had some Metroidvania exploration elements mixed in, and that was fun.

Rush was great fun! Boost to win was the whole point of the game, and Dimps pulled it off spectacularly. I'm not saying Rush is amazing, but it is a damn good game.

Rush Adventure I cannot speak for, seeing as I have never played it.

Colors DS was rather lazy. Fun, but lazy. And the butchering of the music was horrible.

Unwiished was decent. Fun at times, but an overall decent game.

Sonic 4: Episode 1 was also a decent game. It was a good Sonic game, but not a good Sonic 4.

Generations 3DS looks to be good fun, and packing the nostalgia. However, it pales in comparison to the HD version. It looks fun, but it should have better level design.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Pocket Adventure was cool.

Edited by Colasaurus Rex
  • Thumbs Up 2