Awoo.

Favorite Storyline

Kuzu

4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles: One of my biggest pet peeves is how Sonic games in the Classic days were humorous, light, and cheery when it's an obvious LIE. Don't let the graphics fool you. S3&K's story is very serious and is about as dark as Adventure 2's. Just like SA2, S3&K's story was very well-done. Despite being vague due to technology limitations, there were many key instances were danger and dire circumstances loomed, such as Angel Island's beach being set ablaze and Eggman electrocuting Knuckles in Hidden Palace. Their little cutscenes within the game and how we traveled through the game told S3&K's story, and it was executed well.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Unlike SA2, S3&K didn't imply any legitimate deaths and on the topic of Knuckles getting electrocuted, the effect was pretty cartoonish and there was little long-term damage done to Knuckles. There's definitely more of a sense of danger and urgency than in the other Genesis games, but nothing as "dark" as SA2. Not debasing either story of course; I love them both.

Also, I'd debate with you all day about Sonic characterization but I'd probably need to rewatch Black Knight's cutscenes to see if he's as bland and annoying in that game as I remember. ;D I guess that's a debate for the "ideal characterization" thread, though, eh?

The story in black knight was pretty good but some parts about Sonic's selfish attitude ruined it for me.

I don't think Sonic should be potrayed as a morally ambiguous character; considering we have had plenty of those.

SA1 and SA2 were the best hands down

Not only was Sonic's character best in those games (for me) but they also gave development to other characters.

Edited by Eastwood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mentions go to Unleashed and both games of the Storybook series for Sonic's characterization for sure. But as far as the story as a whole?

Sonic Adventure.

I realize there is no firm definition of a "true Sonic game" since the franchise is so varied, and frankly I like it that way, but at the same time... Sonic Adventure is a SONIC game if there ever was one. I'm probably not coming off the right way here, and I apologize if I'm sounding like one of those 'this is how Sonic should be' folks; I really don't intend it that way at all. But the game had a plot that, to me, felt like what was intended for the games' stories all along. It delved into things that are rarely touched upon today: Chaos Emeralds, for one, and more than two characters, for another. The characters had, well, stories to tell. Like Knux's monologues at the beginning and end of his story. Tails's struggle to come into his own as a hero, still loving Sonic as a friend but realizing that replicating him isn't the way to go. Amy befriending Lily, defending Gamma, deciding she wants to make Sonic respect her, and becoming more independent as a result of all of those aforementioned facts. Sonic being able to use positive Chaos energy due to his compassion for others and his friends' compassion for him, neutralizing Chaos's negative energy. The rich back story from 4000 years ago. The sheer grand scale of the whole adventure. It's not too far on either end of the spectrum - happyjoy or grimdark - but instead lies somewhere in the middle, yet that middle ground is given life and layers. It's... adventurous, fun, epic, and rich with the characters' intertwining stories. Everyone learns something or accomplishes something.

Its execution was far from perfect, but I loved that game for the effort, the character development on MANY accounts, and the potential. And the game had something of a setting. Places you came back to. Station Square. Mystic Ruins. Characters had homes in these places. While not directly relevant to the plot, it did give the story some solid ground to stand on, instead of always having to move forward onto the next level and never seeing the other places make a return in the story again. The world of Sonic Adventure is the world I see the characters living in on an everyday basis. Amy shopping in Station Square, Knuckles residing on Angel Island and guarding the Master Emerald like he should be, Tails living in a workshop in the Mystic Ruins, Sonic doing whatever he does and swinging by to see Tails now and then... the game implied the characters had lives outside of saving the world. You never get a glimpse of that anymore.

And for what it's worth, Sonic Adventure makes me feel more nostalgic than any other Sonic game, and even when the modern games are 'old enough,' I have a feeling that status won't change much. Sure, sure, it's just nostalgia... doesn't mean anything, right? But I think it does. Those fond feelings had to have started somewhere. Now, I'm not really for or against continuing the Adventure series - but if I ever wanted a Sonic Adventure 3 in any shape or form, it'd be for another story like Sonic Adventure's.

• Thumbs Up 3

^ HUG ME, KINDRED SPIRIT!

But seriously, I strongly agree about the setting, since Station Square and the Mystic Ruins and the like were all very memorable and they seemed instantly believable as the characters' home. It's a shame the characters don't really have a set world any more, because it's one thing the series is really missing: a recognizable setting. Mario has the Mushroom Kingdom, Kirby has Dreamland, Zelda (often) has Hyrule, but Sonic was never really given a set world. One day it's South Island, then it's Station Square, then it's Central City, then it's Soleanna, and so on. Variety is nice, but it would be good to establish exactly where Sonic's home is, and that's why SA1 really appeals to me. It gave life to the areas besides just being levels. If Sega ever decides to pick a setting for Sonic and stick with it, I would hope his home is the SA1 setting. Levels should still always be fresh and new, but coming back to a familiar location can help give the series' story a bit more definition in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Sonic Adventures, easily. Honestly this is mostly because of my age when I played them, but in so many ways I like its continuities with the Genesis games. For example, throughout the whole Genesis era, Eggman enslaving animals and putting them in robots has been one of the major plot points of the game. Sonic Adventure still very much payed homage to this, having the animals in the robots and all, but also gave it even more depth with Gamma's story, as well as Amy's to an extent. And the whole idea of having capsules at the end of the levels gave you reasons to be running through each stage. Even in SA2, there were still animals in Eggman's robots, although all the GUN robots obviously had chaos drives. But since Heroes, animals in Eggman's robots have been a thing of the past, and I don't see any talk of their reinclusion.

Sonic CD: Your stalker has been kidnapped by doppelgangers. Are you a rad enough dude to rescue your stalker?

In all seriousness, Adventure 2. It is a bit pretentious, yes, considering it isn't written nearly well enough to support the content. On the other hand, if you fill in the blanks yourself it becomes a lovely little tale.

Edited by TGaP Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I liked SA2 and Black Knight.

SA2 wasn't over the top on being serious and it kept a good balance between seriousness and keeping it up-beat. Last story was great (The ending!)...then Heroes basically threw all that out the window. -__-

One of the key reasons I liked Black Knight was Caliburn, that guy was funny. "Very well. I shall call you Knave the Hedgehog." And it's interaction with Sonic in the levels: "We're going to fall!" Sonic: "I know! Isn't it great!" The music helped the cutscenes too, especially the cutscene before fighting King Arthur the 2nd time. Then there's Sonic slicing King Arthur in half. xDD

^ HUG ME, KINDRED SPIRIT!

But seriously, I strongly agree about the setting, since Station Square and the Mystic Ruins and the like were all very memorable and they seemed instantly believable as the characters' home. It's a shame the characters don't really have a set world any more, because it's one thing the series is really missing: a recognizable setting. Mario has the Mushroom Kingdom, Kirby has Dreamland, Zelda (often) has Hyrule, but Sonic was never really given a set world. One day it's South Island, then it's Station Square, then it's Central City, then it's Soleanna, and so on. Variety is nice, but it would be good to establish exactly where Sonic's home is, and that's why SA1 really appeals to me. It gave life to the areas besides just being levels. If Sega ever decides to pick a setting for Sonic and stick with it, I would hope his home is the SA1 setting. Levels should still always be fresh and new, but coming back to a familiar location can help give the series' story a bit more definition in my opinion.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles of course. None of the awful, melodramatic, 12-year old shonen anime bullshit storytelling the series has been using off and on since Sonic Adventure, none of those crappy animations, the various bad voice acting performances, no "so bad its good" rock music to go along with the storytelling, none of that shit. Just charming little interludes integrated in the actual level, where the actions spoke for the characters instead of any terrible dialog, just enough to give a sense of continuity to the epic adventure and let the player handle the rest, like a good videogame should.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles of course. None of the awful, melodramatic, 12-year old shonen anime bullshit storytelling the series has been using off and on since Sonic Adventure, none of those crappy animations, the various bad voice acting performances, no "so bad its good" rock music to go along with the storytelling, none of that shit. Just charming little interludes integrated in the actual level, where the actions spoke for the characters instead of any terrible dialog, just enough to give a sense of continuity to the epic adventure and let the player handle the rest, like a good videogame should.

I have to 100% disagree with everything in bold.

I'll agree with you on the "awful/melodramatic" for Sonic 2006 though.

Okay, in terms of bad voice acting, I'll put Big and every minor character in Sonic Adventure to my list.

Edited by thebluehedgehog

"Oh no!

Our weapons are useless!"

*Moonwalks away*

WATCH OUT WE'RE GONNA CRASH! AHH!

That game has aged so badly. At least the music is mostly good *shrug*