Awoo.

Nostalgia Critic's comment/Fanbase joining discussion

pppp

I'm glad he's not reviewing stuff he doesn't understand. I hated his AoStH episode because he simply was not a SEGA kid growing up, he was a Nintendo kid. So of course he would not get that AoStH has a number of connections to the games. Plus, I can't imagine an adult, new to the AoStH series, to enjoy it. It's a kooky weekday morning cartoon, meant to be viewed by kids chowing down on bowls of sugar cereal. Not some dude in his 30's creating a web series. I'm 26 now, and love AoStH due to that nostalgic connection. I was one of those kids eating Cap'n Crunch while watching Sonic at 6:30am. So I can easily pop on an episode and enjoy it, Doug cannot as he has stated.

Sonic Underground doesn't need a review, and I don't see Sonic X as being nostalgic as it is relatively new.

Actually, I'm fairly new to the online fanbase. Played Sonic games my whole life, never big on forums. After I saw the Sonic 4 trailer last year, I was so freaking excited. I started lurking the SEGA, Retro, and SSMB forums and you can sum up my reaction with one emoticon... :o

Everyone had analyzed the SHIT out of the smallest bit of gameplay shown and most were just ripping the game to shreds already. I was lurking in the shadows watching the GREEN EYES BAWWWW arguments and my patience was wearing thin. After the partnernet build was leaked the fanbase was even more pissed and I was pretty annoyed, so I quit lurking and moved on for a bit.

Eventually Generations was announced and I found out all of you guys at SSMB were pretty cool, so I decided to set up camp here and I haven't looked back.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am the same. I've been lurking around the websites a lot and the only forum i ever joined was KHInsider and even then i didn't post a lot. I only posted to give my thanks for the updates and to go to the video game section so i can see new trailers etc. Yeah i am a big kingdom hearts fan.

Then i saw the Unleashed trailer. I saw a few people posting on the Sonic thread and eventually i got into the discussion and a really good one too. One day someone posted a link to Sonic Stadium and that's how i learned about it, then i learned about TSSZ news and when i wanted to see something Sonic related i came to the home page of Stadium.

Everything was great! I've been posting a lot, having discussions on KHInsider, waiting for Sonic stadium updates and suddenly Sonic 4 came and that's where the turning point was. I don't know why or how but i joined the SEGA forums. I never imagined something like that existed. Everything turned upside down in a matter of seconds. This, that, why this way and not that way, many trolls and a lot of flaming. It was a first for me. After that i started reading the comment section in various places and most of the time on TSSZ. Funny enough though i never entered the Stadium forums to check them out or the comments in the updates. After that i found about Sonic Retro. That was the last blow! That last step i made was my last in any Sonic forum/thread.

After a while though Sonic Colours came into picture and i just couldn't hold myself. So i gave it another shot and things went pretty good actually. The Sega forums were better in the Colors section and i became the news updater in the KHInsider Sonic thread, i found some good buddies and i opened my Sonic Channel on youtube.

Finally Sonic Generations was announced and then i thought of making a decision i should have made 1,5 years ago. Last May i finally joined Sonic stadium and it was the best choice i made. smile.png

Oh, wow i wrote all that!?!? Sorry for the long post laugh.png

Edited by frokenok3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, me and the fanbase span...not so long.

I started with Sonic in 2002, but that was purely for research (and ARCHIE research at that). Then I found characters and started buying Sonic games and blah blah blah.

I think the first experience for the Sonic fandom for me was in early 2007. I was doing my usual bout of researching on stuff, and I just happened to come across a link to the official SEGA forums for reasons I really do not remember now. I lurked there as a guest for a good while while nothing was happening except discussion about Sonic 2006 and Sonic and the Secret Rings (poissbly Wildfire back then), not stuff I was too interested in since I owned neither a Wii or a PS3/360. I also didn't find the discussion particularly shocking since I knew that's what tended to happen in those sorts of arguments. Then, on March 28th, the forum suddenly exploded with activity at the revelation of Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, and I became more focused with the discussion. I then came across an article for it in Games Master in mid-May, scanned the page, and joined the forum on May 19th to show the rest of the forum as part of my first post.

Since then, stuff. Lots of stuff.

When people end up deciding to join the Sonic fanbase, I hope they end up being normal, happy fans like most members of the SSMB and other sane websites, rather than the inhabitants of the SEGA forums/Sonic CuLT/Spax3/Chris-Chan

I'm glad he's not reviewing stuff he doesn't understand. I hated his AoStH episode because he simply was not a SEGA kid growing up, he was a Nintendo kid. So of course he would not get that AoStH has a number of connections to the games. Plus, I can't imagine an adult, new to the AoStH series, to enjoy it. It's a kooky weekday morning cartoon, meant to be viewed by kids chowing down on bowls of sugar cereal. Not some dude in his 30's creating a web series. I'm 26 now, and love AoStH due to that nostalgic connection. I was one of those kids eating Cap'n Crunch while watching Sonic at 6:30am. So I can easily pop on an episode and enjoy it, Doug cannot as he has stated.

Sonic Underground doesn't need a review, and I don't see Sonic X as being nostalgic as it is relatively new.

When people end up deciding to join the Sonic fanbase, I hope they end up being normal, happy fans like most members of the SSMB and other sane websites, rather than the inhabitants of the SEGA forums/Sonic CuLT/Spax3/Chris-Chan

It does annoy me when I see that happen. It's not in my nature to say or write anything which I feel may offend or get a negative reaction from others; I don't know if that's entirely a good thing. As such I tend not to contribute to 'discussions' (and there are many of them) which look open to mudslinging going on. But I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm sure I would write more if there were fewer people who have the attitude you describe.

Sets the stage for decent reverse psychology, though. In a lot of situations I seem to get more generous answers making false accusations rather than asking direct questions.