Awoo.

Anonymous Strikes Again! Operation Facebook Nov. 5, 2011

LunarEdge

I dunno bout you guys, its just gonna be funny as hell to watch peoples social life fall into disarray (namely people close to me, facebook is their second drug of choice apparently). I can't wait to see all the status updates about how pissed they were about it being down.

I dunno bout you guys, its just gonna be funny as hell to watch peoples social life fall into disarray (namely people close to me, facebook is their second drug of choice apparently). I can't wait to see all the status updates about how pissed they were about it being down.

Edited by Cynical

I'll just be the counter-argument that says "just because something's popular, doesn't make it evil".

You're all going to be laughing at those who're stressed by their inability to access Facebook, and I admit that some people are somewhat addicted to the website's social networking features... and hey, if it gets a few people away from Farmville, what's the damage? But seriously, at the same time, a lot of innocent enjoyment is going to be damaged and a lot of innocent people are going to be frustrated. Plans are going to be disrupted. Charity campaigns are going to lose donations and supporters. Business pages are going to be hit, at a time when the economy could use stable business. I cannot possibly see how all this is deemed a "good thing", especially when Anonymous are undertaking illegal action.

Maybe I'm just a bit defensive, as Mike Pollock just added me as a friend and replied to my fanboy gushing on his wall, but as with all action undertaken by Anonymous, I'm just left thinking "what an arrogant bunch of criminals".

Apologies for any offence caused. I don't want to start anything here, guys.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow announce your attack months before it happens. Way to strategize Anonymous. I seriously doubt they could hack something as big as Facebook.

While pretty much being a crime in itself, DDoS-ing isn't hacking, and unlike hacking, it's incredibly easy to do and can easily be accomplished against any site if you just have enough numbers. But you really need a lot of numbers. This is why their announcements exists, to gain those numbers that will join in and do this attack.

Their goal isn't to destroy but to temporarily disable, as a means of protest. They've managed to crack big sites such as PayPal before as a part of numerous targets in their Operation Payback campaign, however they did fail to bring down Amazon during that campaign as it was merely too complex, so the question remains whether or not the interest for this is big enough and whether or not the Facebook servers are ready enough to handle this, which I'd suspect they mostly are, but I've been surprised by Anon's efforts before.

axjkig.jpg

Game on.

While pretty much being a crime in itself, DDoS-ing isn't hacking, and unlike hacking, it's incredibly easy to do and can easily be accomplished against any site if you just have enough numbers. But you really need a lot of numbers. This is why their announcements exists, to gain those numbers that will join in and do this attack.

Unfortunately, they can count me out. This constant terrorism by Anonymous is absolutely ridiculous, and the governments should monitor this threat. Edited by Dark Qiviut

Wow announce your attack months before it happens. Way to strategize Anonymous. I seriously doubt they could hack something as big as Facebook.

It's a part of their so call "classiness" that they ad hear to, along with what Carbo said. I mean, wouldn't it be nice to know what your gonna be slapped with ahead of time so you can prepare for it like in classic RPG games where the boss will use a turn or two to prepare his attack?

Face book is full of ads and apps, so it could create a bunch of loop holes to get through... but I could be pulling such things out of thin air, since I've no clue about coding and such so HA.

I think they're being pretty merciful by announcing an attack; as one user points out, it gives people time to migrate to Google+ and prepare for FB downtime; a lot of people rely on that event-planning, communication, etc. People lived before Facebook anyways, that's what cell phones are for.

I can only wonder what goes through Zuckerman's mind as he watches this video. Who knows? Maybe we're have a Social Network Part 2 - Battle of Privacy.

Remember remember the 5th of November...

Even without Facebook there's still an uptight teenage troll from a grammar school at Poole stalking my ass across the ocean like a gay champion.... Just don't ask, It's a long story and I'd rather not talk about it. :/ He's basically upset that a certain girl occasionally likes talking to me despite our age gap. That's as much as I'm willing to reveal here.

And no, I never publicly posted neither my address nor my phone number on either Facebook or any other site, despite having this kid added as a friend at one point long ago before he turned so gay. But yet somehow people are still able to dig that out merely by knowing what my surname is and by knowing the name of the city where I am. So I don't know where this information is being unprivatized and by whom, but all I know is that it's happening outside of Facebook.

Anyways, it's funny how a few years ago, when I didn't know the people who I know now, I used to hate Facebook. But nowadays, as I got to know more people from more faraway places, it has become my sanctuary. :/

And the fact that the SSMB is now trying to be a copycat of Facebook only strengthens my respect for Facebook and makes me cringe in disappointment at the SSMB. I liked the SSMB better when it had its own distinctive and utterly separate identity, because that actually made it meaningful! But now it's become so ugly and awkward to navigate, and the feeling is gone. So I just mostly lounge around on Facebook nowadays instead of here. :/

So yeah, if this truly happens, it would hit me hard. So I just hope that it either never happens at all or lasts for as short a period of time as possible.

If they really really want to attack a website then they should pick something such as Twitter or FormSpring where people are truly being harassed.

Edited by DarkJedi188