Awoo.

Crush 40 "Best Of 10 Years Of Sonic" still on...

Snatcher2047

Months ago, Jun Senoue hinted on his website at two CDs possibly in production by Crush 40. The first being the sequel to the "CRUSH 40" album (featuring all new non-Sonic music) and the second being the best of Crush 40's Sonic The Hedgehog related music. Well according to a new interview, Jun states that the "Best Of" CD is still in the works and could see a Fall 2009 release. Not only that, but now it will apparently be spanned over multiple CDs, not just one (so it could possibly be not just Crush 40 music).

This info comes from a translation by deviantArt artist manaita, who has a history of uncovering news about upcoming Sonic releases.

Here's the blog on it.

Here's the Jun Senoue interview. (Japanese)

Hopefully we'll get some cool bonus tracks from these. And who knows? Maybe some new C40 covers?

Edited by Snatcher2047

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Legendary Emerald

• SuperStingray

• Chan Kaylore

• Snatcher2047

Damn, that's some tasty news. Must keep my eyes peeled for these later on.

As for new covers? I'm probably the only one hoping that there'll be a Crush 40 spin on Zero Gravity's version of Catch Me If You Can. That would be some sweet aural bliss.

Possible Crush 40 remix of Endless Possibility? I'd wanna see that. *shot*

I agree with the above statement!

Meh, I don't know. Crush 40 has started to slip when it comes to doing songs from other composers. They seem to work better with their own songs.

Meh, I don't know. Crush 40 has started to slip when it comes to doing songs from other composers. They seem to work better with their own songs.

I dunno. They made All Hail Shadow and Seven Rings In Hand bearable, and improved the hell out of them. That's a pretty good achievement right there.

I dunno. They made All Hail Shadow and Seven Rings In Hand bearable, and improved the hell out of them. That's a pretty good achievement right there.

Yay for differencing opinions!

I like Crush40, but I think their own versions of others work mix between being decent to being horrible. Their version of Seven Rings in Hand I thought was about even with the original in different aspects (but both fail to Bentley Jones own take on the song which can be found

).

However, I HATED their All Hail Shadow version, it quite literally is my least favorite Sonic vocal song of all time, it makes me cringe whenever I listen to it. And I actually like the original a lot.

Their version of the With Me was good, but it kinda' was the exact same song but with a guy singing. XD

They might have some remixes, but something tells me it might be a original song that just uses Sonic in heart.

I like Crush40, but I think their own versions of others work mix between being decent to being horrible. Their version of Seven Rings in Hand I thought was about even with the original in different aspects (but both fail to Bentley Jones own take on the song which can be found
).

However, I HATED their All Hail Shadow version, it quite literally is my least favorite Sonic vocal song of all time, it makes me cringe whenever I listen to it. And I actually like the original a lot.

Their version of the With Me was good, but it kinda' was the exact same song but with a guy singing. XD

I personally can't stand BJ's version of Seven Rings In Hand. It's just so... boring.

C40's All Hail Shadow is AWESOME in my opinion, and might even be the best of their covers. Well except for...

C40's With Me is great. Yeah, it's not all that different, but Johnny's vocals and the heavier guitar riffs give it a unique feel that stands on it's own. One of the better Sonic tracks over the past few years in my opinion.

Personally, I'd love to see what C40 could do with "Un-gravitify". I think it would be a very interesting mix.

Edited by Snatcher2047

Mmm... Frankly, the only Crush 40 cover I didn't like better than the original was their With Me one, but I still liked that one, too. However, I personally thought that All Hail Shadow was far superior to the original. Regardless, I would prefer them doing brand new songs as opposed to covers, though I wouldn't mind a little bit of each.

And Dreams of an Absolution and His World. I really like their remixes.

Y'know, it'd be interesting to see what they could do to 'Throw It All Away', if they decided to mix that one. ;)

Hm. I found their take on Seven Rings in Hand just awful, the only song of theirs I feel that way about. But I think their take on With Me was actually better than the original.

Glad to see (most) everyone so excited. I, personally, am looking forward to the new material more than the re-releases. Hopefully they'll be more heavy material such as "I Am... All of Me" on the Crush 40 "2" album. If it's all 'Sonic Heroes' and 'Knight of The Wind' poppish, I'd be a bit disappointed.

As for the re-releases, I hope they are all re-engineered, like the tracks "Live and Learn" and "What I'm Made Of" in the True Blue collection. Also hoping that it won't ALL be Crush 40 material, and that we'll get some of those songs written for Sonic games that we've never heard (the original version of Magna-Fi's "Who I Am" would be ace).

Regarding a 'slip in quality', the only time I noticed that was in their SatBK songs. "Knight Of The Wind" is good, in a "Sonic Heroes" sort of way, but not what I want to hear from the band. "Live Life" is a great ballad though, and I'd been waiting a long time for them to take another stab at a slower song. The two short songs aren't even long enough to consider, in my opinion. "With Me (Massive Power Mix)" is good, but one of their less impressive covers.

I loved the Crush 40 covers. My favorite period of the band started with "I Am... All Of Me". Their version of "All Hail Shadow" trumps the original in every way, even though I am a huge fan of Magna-Fi's non-Sonic work. "His World (Crush 40)" was the best version of that song as well. "Seven Rings" was also great, but my least favorite of the four covers due to the inane lyrics (not their fault) and the slight overuse of electronica.

Personally, I want to hear more like Open Your Heart and What I'm Made Of, but hey, it's up to them. I pretty much like all of their themes. If they cover the whole spectrum, it's fine. Thing is, I don't really like Jun's new guitar sound going off what I heard in SatBK. I guess I liked the With Me cover more than the original, but that's mostly because the singers aren't my thing and Marty Friedman's solos are a little... not good, sometimes.

Regardless, these'll probably be the first albums I actually get around to buying.

I may be one of the few people who say this but C40 was not very "WOW" in SATBK. "With me" (best song from the game) both version weren't really good. But I am kinda interested in seeing what the new CD will be like. They were at their best with "Live and Learn" and "Open your heart" but since then they started to slip a little.

I may be one of the few people who say this but C40 was not very "WOW" in SATBK. "With me" (best song from the game) both version weren't really good. But I am kinda interested in seeing what the new CD will be like. They were at their best with "Live and Learn" and "Open your heart" but since then they started to slip a little.

I agree that the SatBK stuff could have been stronger. However, I don't think it's fair to say that the band had two great songs and then started to slip (as you have just said). The band has gone through many phases now, sometimes due to the restrictions of the game (SatBK), sometimes due to personal choice on the part of it's two members (Shadow The Hedgehog & Remixes).

While I love "Live and Learn" & "Open Your Heart" just as much as the next Sonic fan, I still want to see the band evolve beyond that and produce slighty more modern songs like "I Am... All of Me" and "Never Turn Back".

i agree as well. i want to see their twist on it!

Geez, everyone mentions that. Sure, it'd be cool, but I'd much rather have them cover 'Sonic Boom' or a couple of the other newer Sonic songs. I'd LOVE to hear a metal version of "Un-Gravitify", as Snatcher 2047 has mentioned.

Wasn't every decent Crush 40 song included in True Blue? This CD news sounds kind of redundant.

Also, a Crush 40 cover on Endless Possibility would be absoltuely awful.

No please. The song is great as is, we dont need a C40 mix of that song.

Personally, I would like Crush 40 to do more stuff like their NASCAR Arcade music. That was awesome... C40's best work IMO!

Personally, I would like Crush 40 to do more stuff like their NASCAR Arcade music. That was awesome... C40's best work IMO!
Yeah, I remember Revin' up was pretty awesome. The others weren't as memorable to me, but it's all still a great style of music for them.

If the albums are not just C40 and are some new remixes i would love to see a Benley Jones remix of Live Live!

It's funny.

I used to drool at just the sound of Crush 40, and now I don't really find them all that special, XD. I do still like their stuff, but I'm not crazy about it as I used to be back in 04-05. Maybe I can't get out of the past with the sound they used to have in the Adventure era and their first non-Sonic CD.

I am excited to see this though. A long time I have waited for a new non-Sonic album from them, and now I guess I'll finally get to see it, =D. I just hope they don't stick to the "car theme" this time. It just got a little stale after awhile (and especially with the curse of the melodic style of playing = things start to sound the same after awhile, D=).

As for the "Best of 10 Years of Sonic", it's just probably another bundle of songs I already own with a few new ones that I'll be able to just pick up at the FastFeetMedia center, X3. I hope they surprise me though, as in redoing some instrumentals with prime quality, <3. Wouldn't mind hearing another Sonic 3 redo, but I don't think that counts in this "10 years they are talking about."

It'd be awesomely hilarious if this whole time they were talking about from 1991-2001, not just the past 10 years Crush 40 has been there, XF.

-Blur