Awoo.

Sonic 4: The Super State thread

Aquaslash

Also I can't start a poll.

Anywho, as just about everyone who's known em can tell you, my favorite parts of the games are when Sonic and Co unleash the power of the Mac Guffins, and wreak all sorts of havoc. This being a classic styled game, gives me a glimmer of hope.

Could this finally be the return to decent Super State gameplay that's been absent, quite frankly since Sonic and Knuckles (spinoffs not counting). If Sega's been paying attention, it should be but you never know who's been passing the weed around the office.

So let's talk about the Super Sonic presence in this game. WHat do you think will happen, and what would you like to see?

Now as for me, I'd rather it be just like Sonic 2 and 3 where you could power up as soon as you got all the emeralds. Afterwards if you beat the game, you could replay any level. However, I could also tolerate waiting until the end for a grand final battle, provided I can return to the stages with all the emeralds in tow. If I have to use a cheat, that's fine too.

Also, I wouldn't mind the transformation being a combo other than double jump.

What I DON'T want to see is the crap we've been getting from Sonic Adventure onwards, with Super States only being available in some hardgay boss battle. That garbage can stay with the modern games for all I care. It'll be a good reason to NOT get them anymore.

Anywho, have at it.

To be perfectly honest, I strongly dislike the use of super state in normal gameplay and I always try to get the last emerald at the last possible moment in the classic games. So, personally, I wouldn't really mind if the super state stayed confined to the final boss. I don't think that'll be the case, though.

Superforms would be nice, but I'm not going to boycott the game because it's not in there.

Cuz that'd just be silly.

The multi-episodes give me great hope that we might see the return of Super Emeralds and finally might get the chance of seeing Hyper Sonic rendered in 3D. Special stages are sort of confirmed so there's pretty much that as it comes for Chaos Emerald collecting. Now whether it will be another Rush/Heroes case is a whole other story but it'd be a wasted opportunity to NOT utilize it.

I'd be very disappointed if they didn't. Sure I usually play without the emeralds in the old games, but it was always fun to grab the emeralds and cut loose every now and then.

The multi-episodes give me great hope that we might see the return of Super Emeralds and finally might get the chance of seeing Hyper Sonic rendered in 3D.
Y'know that's actually got me curious...I kind of doubt this is going to be just a two-parter, so even if they did bring back the Super Emeralds (which I doubt)...

Hm. I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about this until I get an answer...

Super State should definitely return in my book! And you should only be able to transformer with all 7 emeralds and 50 rings in hand (...lol...), no more and no less. However, I think there should be a few tweaks as well. I'd like you to be able to turn super by pressing a separate button, rather than simply jumping twice, which I don't see working well in a game with the homing attack. Also, I think with the same button, you should be able to turn the super mode on and off at will (but you can't turn back with less than 50 rings, of course).

I had an implausible idea.

I remember reading somewhere (rumor/leak) that there would be about 5 zones per episode.

What if there was a part of the plot where Eggman managed to break all the emeralds into shards, making about 5 shards per emerald: Sonic finds one shard per zone, and if there's 7 episodes with 5 zones per episode... completing all episodes will unlock Super Sonic in all levels... making 35 zones, not including the separate acts for each.

...a guy can dream, can't he?

I had an implausible idea.

I remember reading somewhere (rumor/leak) that there would be about 5 zones per episode.

What if there was a part of the plot where Eggman managed to break all the emeralds into shards, making about 5 shards per emerald: Sonic finds one shard per zone, and if there's 7 episodes with 5 zones per episode... completing all episodes will unlock Super Sonic in all levels... making 35 zones, not including the separate acts for each.

...a guy can dream, can't he?

7 episodes is kinda too much D:

Also the fact I would not be able to play as super Sonic untill i finish 7 games is kinda... err.... how could I put it....

694px-Do-not-want-verbose.jpg

Taking out that, I would like your idea more if we could get some crazy game breaking skill for every set of shards that we collect, and once we collect all of the emeralds we will be able to use all the skills we collected as super Sonic. B)

Its been disappointing to me, to not be able to transform into Super Sonic since Adventure. I can see why though, but still, it would have been a fantastic reward for having collected all the emblems or something. With the news of leader boards, I'm still a bit worried about his inability to go super in the levels in this game. I hope that you'll be able to choose whether to turn the emeralds "on" or "off" in a way, so we can have fun for being super fast/invincible, but we won't be graded, which is alright with me.

7 episodes is kinda too much D:

Also the fact I would not be able to play as super Sonic untill i finish 7 games is kinda... err.... how could I put it....

*DO NOT WANT image*

Taking out that, I would like your idea more if we could get some crazy game breaking skill for every set of shards that we collect, and once we collect all of the emeralds we will be able to use all the skills we collected as super Sonic. B)

But what would the seven skills be, since back then, Super Sonic was invincibility, high jumping, and super speed,...unless being really slippery is a game-breaking skill.(against us) :P

Edited by insertnamehere

This may sound stupid, but without the ability to freely transform into Super Sonic after collecting all the Chaos Emeralds the game wouldn't really feel like a true follow up to S3&K to me. Not to say that without Super Sonic STH4 would suck though. It's just one of the few essentials on my personal list for this game to live up to the classics.

invincibly, high jumping, and super speed

There you have 3 of them :P

4) Skill to break through things without spinning

5) Debug Mode (lolololo)

6) A double Jump a la Hyper Sonic

7) A projectile a la Super Tails

I could think of something more original (IT'S A LIE, IT'S STOLEN FROM OTHER FRANCHISE) but I just wanted to put things that were in the classics. :P

There you have 3 of them :P

4) Skill to break through things without spinning

5) Debug Mode (lolololo)

6) A double Jump a la Hyper Sonic

7) A projectile a la Super Tails

I could think of something more original (IT'S A LIE, IT'S STOLEN FROM OTHER FRANCHISE) but I just wanted to put things that were in the classics. :P

Yeah, I was wondering what the other 4 would be. But wow, Super Sonic+Hyper Sonic double jump+Super Tails+Debug Mode that would be insane. :D

Welp, since this is a follow up to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, they might as well make Super Sonic playable in level. But, I won't really be disappointed if they don't. Honestly, I rarely even use Super Sonic. I kind of find it boring to use. And plus fussing about it would be kind of silly.

Edited by Ryusuke

I'd love to see Super Sonic return! You could load up a previously completed file and plow through the whole thing with Super Sonic, like we did back in S3/S3&K. Hell, maybe they could even have two leaderboards per level. There could be a "Normal" board and a "Super" board, so you could go for the best times with Super Sonic as an option in one, while the other you have to make it through the whole thing as plain old Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would certainly hope the chaos emeralds have more use than just one fancy superboss final battle this time around. Considering they said they're trying to do a modern Genesis Sonic game, it would only make sense to be able to go Super after having all 7 emeralds, grabbing 50 rings, and doing a homing attack (since I assume it's jump twice).

I kinda prefer having Super Sonic availablw only during the final boss. In the old games it was cool for maybe one level and then it really did'nt seem all that interesting after.

I sincerely hope we don't get more than 3 or 4 episodes... I don't want 7 minuscule episodes, or for Sonic Team to give us too much of a good thing....

• The title was changed to Sonic 4: The Super State thread