Awoo.

Any other comic book readers out there!?

ASurgeofLight

Hi everyone.  I was wondering if there were any other comic book fans/readers here on the site!?  For books other then just Sonic that is.  If so, what books are you currently reading?  What are you enjoying the most?  And what books are you looking forward to!?

As for me I'm a huge comic book geek!  Currently I'm really enjoying Dynamite Comics Space Ghost book, DC's House of Brainiac storyline in Action Comics and Superman.  And I'm also really enjoying DC's Green Lantern & Green Lantern: War Journal books!  On the Marvel side of things I'm loving the books in their new Ultimate Marvel line!   And there's a lot of great books from Image comics right now, like Ain't No Grave, The One Hand/The Six Fingers, Geiger, Red Coat, Rook Exodus and the various G.I. Joe books & mini-series and Transformers and Void Rivals.

As for books I'm looking forward to, I can't wait for the TMNT relaunch from IDW and Jonny Quest from Dynamite.  I'm also excited for the Absolute Power event from DC and the latest X-Men relaunch at Marvel.

So yeah, that's about it for me.  How about you.  What books are you reading/ looking forward to reading!?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm looking forward to Dynamite's 30th anniversary reprints of the Gargoyle's books. Though I recently picked up an issue of the current run and wasn't very impressed. I hope with complete collections like the reprints I'll be better entertained. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know this topic is a bit old, but a comic that I've really enjoyed so far has been IDW's The Hunger and The Dusk. It follows an age old feud between humans and orcs coming to a standstill as they work together to stall a larger threat. It has interesting characters, a well crafted, diverging storyline, and beautiful art. There are only six issues available now, but after it's delay it should be starting up again soon. I would recommend giving it a try if you're a fan of general fantasy or DND!

Another one I like goes out to the fans of Arthurian Legend, and it's called Once and Future. This one follows a young man and his monster hunter grandmother tracking the reanimated King Arthur on a quest to stop the destruction of Britain. It has an awesome take on the legends in general, mixing them up with each other and taking great creative liberties. Again, the art is phenomenal, and the story and characters are handled well. This was released right around covid, so it's not very well recognized, but it's absolutely worth reading.

An honorable mention is extended to Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons for literally being everything I asked for. I wanted pirates and Godzilla, and by God(zilla), you gave me those two things. 10/10 just for that.

On 6/10/2024 at 4:04 PM, ASurgeofLight said:

Hi everyone.  I was wondering if there were any other comic book fans/readers here on the site!?  For books other then just Sonic that is.  If so, what books are you currently reading?  What are you enjoying the most?  And what books are you looking forward to!?

As for me I'm a huge comic book geek!  Currently I'm really enjoying Dynamite Comics Space Ghost book, DC's House of Brainiac storyline in Action Comics and Superman.  And I'm also really enjoying DC's Green Lantern & Green Lantern: War Journal books!  On the Marvel side of things I'm loving the books in their new Ultimate Marvel line!   And there's a lot of great books from Image comics right now, like Ain't No Grave, The One Hand/The Six Fingers, Geiger, Red Coat, Rook Exodus and the various G.I. Joe books & mini-series and Transformers and Void Rivals.

As for books I'm looking forward to, I can't wait for the TMNT relaunch from IDW and Jonny Quest from Dynamite.  I'm also excited for the Absolute Power event from DC and the latest X-Men relaunch at Marvel.

So yeah, that's about it for me.  How about you.  What books are you reading/ looking forward to reading!?

Outside of the Archie Sonic comics I read online (through Google Books and on the web), the only other comics I've read are three issues of The Amazing Spider-Man - two where Spidey faces the Fantastic Four (very good issues, by the way), and one where Spidey is up against The Chameleon.

Other than those three, though, nothing. Once I found out about manga one fateful day when grabbing a volume of Pokémon Adventures: Diamond, Pearl & Platinum in the Shaw Elementary School library back in Alaska, I've been hooked on it since.

I read some Disney and MLP comics before starting Sonic. I mostly read Mangas though. My favorite is Demon Slayer. Do comic strips also count? Because oh boy, I love comic strips.

Posted (edited)

Besides Sonic, I also read Street Fighter comics and other Capcom fighters (i.e. Darkstalkers). 

Disney has their comic books and so far, I'm enjoying the new Hercules "psuedo-sequel" comic, Gargoyles, and Lilo and Stitch, though I'm not sure how that story will last because they almost pulled another situation from the Stitch! anime.

On the Marvel side, I'm starting to catch up on some series. I did enjoy anything involve with Gambit and Rogue, I'm shocked to find out that Psylocke (Betsy Braddock) is now officially Captain Britain and Kwannon is now officially Psylocke II. I'm currently reading the new Spider-Men (Peter Parker and Miles Morales), Miles' own comic, some tied-in comics (X-Men '97), and other comics/graphic novels featuring certain characters.

On the DC side, I'm liking the Green Lantern (John Stewart) and My Adventures with Superman.

I also read comics spin-off from TV shows, such as Charmed (1998, with the Halliwell sisters).

Edited by StreetSonic2022
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh if we're talking Manga. I read One Piece and Frieren. Currently waiting for Frieren vol. 9 to go back into print. 

3 hours ago, StreetSonic2022 said:

Besides Sonic, I also read Street Fighter comics and other Capcom fighters (i.e. Darkstalkers).

Yeah, I’m aware of the UDON Comics. Their role in the canon is… DUBIOUS AT BEST. Especially when it comes to Darkstalkers. If you know the infamy behind how the Aensland sisters were portrayed in those comics, then you know.

On the manga side of those two franchises though, I highly recommend checking out Street Fighter: Sakura Ganbaru & Vampire Savior: Tamashii no Mayoigo.

52 minutes ago, Anonymous Gamer said:

Yeah, I’m aware of the UDON Comics. Their role in the canon is… DUBIOUS AT BEST. Especially when it comes to Darkstalkers. If you know the infamy behind how the Aensland sisters were portrayed in those comics, then you know.

I already know about UDON's writing is not as best compared to canon, especially with Morrigan. 

I do have Street Fighter Gaiden 2-book manga. Nice short stories for Chun-Li and Cammy, although, the author admitted to show more favoritism to Cammy and Ken. And she somehow "killed" off Fei-Long.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, StreetSonic2022 said:

I do have Street Fighter Gaiden 2-book manga. Nice short stories for Chun-Li and Cammy, although, the author admitted to show more favoritism to Cammy and Ken. And she somehow "killed" off Fei-Long.

Well, that would explain why Fei Long hadn’t appeared in a Street Fighter game since 4!

That aside, I did not know Fei Long was killed off in Gaiden. By Cammy no less.

3 hours ago, Anonymous Gamer said:

Well, that would explain why Fei Long hadn’t appeared in a Street Fighter game since 4!

That aside, I did not know Fei Long was killed off in Gaiden. By Cammy no less.

No, no,  that has nothing to do with Fei-Long's appearance. The 2-part manga are based on the events of Super Turbo.

What I meant was the author "killed" off Fei-Long in a short story, not by Cammy, since he was based on Bruce Lee. However, he did appeared fine in Cammy's little holiday story but as a comic relief.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, StreetSonic2022 said:

No, no,  that has nothing to do with Fei-Long's appearance. The 2-part manga are based on the events of Super Turbo.

What I meant was the author "killed" off Fei-Long in a short story, not by Cammy, since he was based on Bruce Lee. However, he did appeared fine in Cammy's little holiday story but as a comic relief.

Ah, I get it now.