Awoo.

the master emerald in SA2

doc a doc

As most of us know, in many of Knuckles' cutscenes from SA2, we see the Master Emerald in many different sizes. Now there is a popular theory out there that says that since Knux is the Guardian he can change its size. But this would contradict other games' stories. Do you think there is a reason or that it's just Sega screwing up?

Probably did it just so would would be easier for Knuckles to carry around in SA2. We haven't heard of any mention of the M.E. since then in the other mainstream titles, so it's like they pretty much forgot about it.

Maybe Knux learnt how to do it between Adventure 1 and2, and then forgot entirely?

naaaaw. Plothole by SEGA lol

• Thumbs Up 1

It's something like artistic license. Basically, they adjust things here and there to fit the purpose of what they want. In SA1, the Chaos Emeralds in the past/action stages appear to be the same size of their heads, but are considerably smaller in cutscenes when they're being held. And as for the ME, it changes size and shape between SA1 and 2. Just cause.

Something else I've heard mentioned before is Silvers intro for 06. He can hover around seemingly without limit, can use his telekinesis while doing so and is able to boost away with a great deal of speed (prior to getting the upgrade). There's no reason for it , other than allowing things to work I think. Nothing been officially explained.

I agree that hammerspace pretty much sums up this unspoken "power" of Knuckles to shrink the thing, but I don't think the idea really works with the Master Emerald. It's not something Knuckles carries around and needs a pocket for, like Sonic's rings or Amy's hammer, and the story of the Emerald gets harder to tell if he can just "hide" it on his person like that. Because it's such an unmovable object (the thing has its own shrine) and early games and even SA2 show it being stolen with a crane-like Eggmobile, for story purposes hammerspace is stupid. I would've preferred they had Knux lug it around on his shoulder. That's better in a few ways. You'd get to see Knuckles actually being the Guardian and interacting with the thing, and it shows his strength off to carry around such a big rock.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

Of note, in the Sonic X adaption of SA2, the Master Emerald is still huge the entire time, and has to be lugged through the ARK in a far less easygoing fashion. Of course, X is a different continuity altogether, but I found its consistency on the matter interesting.

As for the game M.E., I speculate that- barring an official stance on the matter- it's simply a design inconsistency. A mistake. And probably not one with a story explanation.

Edited by Dr. Mechano

Wasn't it shown in SA2 that Knuckles could change the size of the Master Emerald?

No, I don't think so.

It was only shown at different sizes in different cut scenes, but it never explicitly showed Knuckles altering the Master Emerald's size or anything.

No, I don't think so.

It was only shown at different sizes in different cut scenes, but it never explicitly showed Knuckles altering the Master Emerald's size or anything.

I'm pretty sure you see it happen during the cut scene where he reassembles it.

I'm pretty sure you see it happen during the cut scene where he reassembles it.

Not really, when he reassembles it, it's still pretty fricken huge. Then all of a sudden it just simply vanishes. So maybe he did alter the size somehow, but they never show it. All we know is that maybe he shoved the huge rock into hammerspcace, and then something weird happened in there.

Why does Amy's hammer always change size? Where does she keep it, anyway? Why are the Chaos emeralds different shapes and sizes? Where does Sonic keep all those rings? Why did the shards disappear as you collected them?

It's just for convienence for telling the story. It would be odd if he was lugging around the Master Emerald the whole time, anyway. :)

Edited by BlazingTales

I feel like Sega didn't really think this through as much as we're doing here. But it would make sense for the size change to be only because of convenience. Personally, I think the emeralds have the ability to do whatever the heck they want (in that sense). Because, I mean, where is continuity in Sonic games anymore?

Edited by silversapphire

You see, since Knuckles can hammersize it and carry it around, why doesn't he just do that and let Angel Island stay on the ground? That way no one could take the Master Emerald from him (he'd always have it by his side) and the Hidden Palace (where the Super Emeralds are) would be, well, hidden by being underwater. That way we could use Knuckles more for games =P

Personally, I think the emeralds have the ability to do whatever the heck they want (in that sense).

True dis. The Master Emerald can lock a God of Destruction plus a kerbstomped echidna princess in stasis for 4,000 years, AND levitate a continent, AND posess the same kind of temporal transcendentalism as Solaris, ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

If it can do that, I think changing its shape and size occasionally should be the most trivial of tricks.

You see, since Knuckles can hammersize it and carry it around, why doesn't he just do that and let Angel Island stay on the ground? That way no one could take the Master Emerald from him (he'd always have it by his side) and the Hidden Palace (where the Super Emeralds are) would be, well, hidden by being underwater. That way we could use Knuckles more for games =P

But leaving Angel Island on the ground and going off adventuring is like leaving the front door to your house wide open while you go off on holiday. Knux's chief responsibility may be to the Master, but he's Guardian of an island, not just a gem.

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

You want to hear my thoughts on this or are you good? ;)

It's just a fuck up. They couldn't even reference SA1 properly with Tails getting an emerald for beating Eggman in Station Square, iirc all the emeralds were actually accounted for.

• Thumbs Up 1

You want to hear my thoughts on this or are you good? ;)

Lol, I know your thoughts on it, I was just saying that jokingly about the matter of the subject. =P

People constantly try to explain this, but realy it's just sega messing up. They didn't want to take the time to animate Knuckles lugging the M.E. around so they decided to make it the size of a Chaos Emerald(actualy now that I think about it, the M.E. was a little bigger than a Chaos Emerald, so maby a Super Emerald)and hoped nobody would notice. It wasn't reely that big of a screw-up but it was pretty jaring.

Also, the idea that Knux could shrink it is stupid for the obvious reason.

When you say screw up, you imply it was accidental. No. It most certainly was intentional, but was by all means lazy. It was just to do things easier.

It was a screw up in the sense that the writers didn't think that far ahead. You want another screw up? In Sonic Adventure 1, the Master emerald is shown as being outside. I've seen this explained as the result of Sonic 3's ending, because Sonic left it on the surface of the island, but Sonic Adventure also shows it as being there in the past. I've get an even bigger one: In SA 2, Eggman tries to steal the Master Emerald, claiming that it's useless to him, but he's going to take it so it wont interfere with his Emerald Radar or something. The Master Emerald is presented as some more of a tamper to the other emeralds, even though it was priorly used as a power source for the Death Egg.

The location of the Master Emerald was a retcon- they changed it. Until SA1 nothing about the series was story driven (though they were present of course), so they were able to get away more with changing stuff so much. Does SA2 actually mention why Eggman tried to steel the ME?

Oh wait.

Rather than not intending to use it as a power source, Eggman didn't recognize it. Knuckles also highlights it's emerald controlling power over it's own output.