Awoo.

What's up with these recent Eggman renders?

Austroid

Anyone else notice how weirdly-proportioned this newer Eggman render is? 

whattheegg.PNG.a7c91ffd812ed63189abf58d339cc47e.PNG

I also thought this Frontiers one looked off:

whattheegg2.PNG.9043d575a22c029dd5294b8a7359b64d.PNG

I'm not the only one seeing this, right? One might say "oh that's just the style now" but look at a render from Team Sonic Racing; he looks fine! Everything's in proportion! (well, as proportionate as an egg-shaped man can be)

64864.PNG.a5164cafde5e1e312df643732178572f.PNG

I'm not hyper-fixated I swear

Edited by Austroid
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's pretty common with renders for the artist to cheat and stretch/skew/otherwise mess with proportions or limbs to make for a more appealing, 2D-art-esque pose, in a way where if you were to rotate the model it would look weird from other angles but looks stylish and dynamic from the intended one.

The hands ARE pretty strange but at least in the Frontiers' render's case, it's probably just the artist pushing that sort of stuff a little too far for your eyes (personally I never thought anything of the Frontiers one).

The crooked teeth might be an intentional choice, sort of like the scuff and dirt they tend to put on characters' shoes.  Considering what big chompers he has compared to the other Sonic characters, makes sense to make them a little less uniform - perhaps even an intentional injection of that informed "unattractiveness" that Eggman supposedly has and was particularly a big thing with western Sonic media back in the classic days (even though it completely flew in the face of the fact that AoStH Robotnik is Sex Incarnate).  But I think it's more just to make them a bit more natural looking, it's normal to not have perfectly symmetrical teeth.

Edited by JezMM
  • Promotion 1

The differences between the 3D models is more or less dependent on the art style or preference of the people rendering them. 
IMG_8966.jpeg.1a27669a1f1d0d87b007b8a527495396.jpegBut I mean, Eggman’s always had some wacky inhuman proportions. If anything, it makes me love his design a bit more

Edited by ChaosCTRL

Can we please re-edit the title of this threat to start with "Get a load of this!..." please. lol

In terms of the number of different designs of Eggman, especially the recent redesigns, "You know what they say..The more the merrier!" 

• Chuckle 1

Is this the Eggman version of blue arms and quill length?

Joking, but his hands are definitely gigantic in that first render. Personally just think it's a "stylistic choice" to emphasize the render pose.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the artists wanted to make him look cartoony, and like an egg. I personally like it and think it makes him a lot more expressive!

18 hours ago, JezMM said:

The crooked teeth might be an intentional choice, sort of like the scuff and dirt they tend to put on characters' shoes.  Considering what big chompers he has compared to the other Sonic characters, makes sense to make them a little less uniform - But I think it's more just to make them a bit more natural looking, it's normal to not have perfectly symmetrical teeth.

I get that; but given his identical squared-off teeth have been a staple of his character design, it seems odd to suddenly change that. Makes it look like he's forgotten to wear a retainer for a few years lol. (Also imagine Wario or Waluigi's teeth looking more realistic... *shudders*)

TeamSonicRacing-OpeningCutscene(FULLHD)0-48screenshot.thumb.png.f14f623df3cdd38fa42fa3b82fb4bd5b.png

Eggman says: "Practice good oral hygiene!"

18 hours ago, JezMM said:

AoStH Robotnik is Sex Incarnate.

Can't argue with that😜

That render is from Dream Team? Those teeth do look a little cursed but i can't explain why

Eggman is supposed to be goofy and weird i mean the man's a talking egg lol

I agree that it does look off compared to previous renders. Reminds me of Sonic's renders being a bit weird too with that weird smirk of his only present in renders.

• Thumbs Up 1

If nothing else, Eggman has always been pretty adamant about taking care of his pearly whites. So this change, if canon, would be rather unfortunate.