Awoo.

Your Sonic analog horror ideas

IHaveACaseOfSonicMania

Weird idea, but let's get some ideas for a Sonic analog horror, why not for fun.

What I'd like to see is an adaptation of Imposter Syndrome, one where you really see the horrific stuff they endured in action, or maybe even what Surge and Kit saw when they were hypnotised by Dr. Starline. An even darker take on the story.

What are your ideas for an analogue horror around the blue blur? Maybe one about the space colony Ark, or the classic himself, Sonic.EXE. Go ahead and write them down.

• Promotion 1

Sonic is playing a game and slowly his left stick starts to drift more and more as he plays.

• Fist Bump 1
  • Confused 1

I think you really hit the nail on the head with Impostor Syndrome Analog Horror. Like, the story itself is practically made for that kind of thing, what with most of it being extremely psychological. The implications are more horrifying than what we actually see.

I think I'd love an ARK analog horror, because there's something so inherently creepy about Project Shadow, or genetic experimentation as a whole. The idea of creating a living, breathing being through series of grotesque and gruesome failures is just so spine chilling. I'd love to see an analog horror about all the failed experiments that went horribly wrong, all the lives lost trying to replicate Chaos' genetics(come on, you can't tell me some blood wasn't spilled with those artificial Chaos), and finally, the terrible deal made between a desperate grandfather and the Devil himself. Black Doom has the potential to be a horrifying villain, not only design wise, either. His motive, to allow his spawn to feast on humans for energy, could be a motive for Black Doom. He makes a deal with Robotnik, and the scientist unwittingly brings to life Doom's greatest weapon. The Black Arms have really weird designs(in a good way), that just couldn't be brought out through GameCube/PS2 graphics. They're both reptilian and insectoid, which fulfil the criteria for many people's fears. I just think Project Shadow/ARK incident would be perfect for analog horror, and I'd love to see it made one day.

Oh, wait, I just had an idea while writing this, and hear me out. So, what if there was analog horror about some of Sonic's different forms(not EXE, nonononono), like Fleetway Super Sonic, Dark Sonic, Darkspine, or the Werehog? Darkspine would be interesting because not only is he present during  the fight with Alf Layla wa-Layla, who is already probably the most gruesome thing to come out of this franchise, but Darkspine is a mangled form, so to speak. He's an uncomplete monster, just like his enemy, and I think that would make a pretty cool short horror. 

Fleetway Super Sonic would make an awesome analog horror series. The entirety of the Fleetway comics were already pretty dark as is, with multiple characters being killed on screen and off. Adding a temperamental version of Sonic who has uncontrollable violent urges would make a pretty solid horror story. Fleetway is, in my opinion, basically just the cooler Sonic.EXE. He's more interesting, and as opposed to EXE, who is pretty much just a Sonic fanboy who went on a murder spree, Fleetway is Sonic. A violent persona who is unwillingly attached to his other half's mind. The concept of a Jekyll and Hyde analog horror with Fleetway Sonic is so out of pocket and I'd love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, like maybe The End from Sonic Frontiers getting a corrupted human or hedgehog form? That would be pretty scary.

Sonic stops going fast.

Sonic as a vessel for horror has never been done particularly well. One one hand you have the standard Tails Doll creepypasta which is no scarier than a campfire story and on the other, you get something like Sonic.exe which is so unsubtle that it's not even ironically funny. 

Analog horror in specific is meant to evoke the era of technology before digital, and Sonic came in the latter half of that, so I don't know how you could make it "horrifying" beyond shocking imagery.

You could theoretically play on the original, forgotten concept of Sonic being aware of the player when you leave him idle for a few seconds. There's opportunities for mind games there. You could have Sonic controlling himself and doing things that are impossible during regular gameplay, glitching the game out, trying to communicate with the player, etc.

But to what end? You need a story behind it. For the record, I'm using the OG Genesis Sonic games as a reference point since analog horror was mentioned, but theoretically this could work in any Sonic game. The key thing is that the game plays itself and does things that shouldn't be possible, just to communicate something to the person holding the controller. Self awareness and consciousness applied to something artificial is unnerving. If Sonic communicates to the player (say, spelling a message out of rings placed in debug mode) that he knows you exist and are not only a bad player, but a bad person, and makes general accusations towards them (the kind that any person has done) may unnerve the player enough to freak them out. 

If this were a real fangame that read the computer's directories and internet cookies or something, you could do some seriously insane stuff with that, though then that'd be malware territory. But maybe that's the point.

Anyway, Sonic.exe is stupid and not scary, people need to step it up and get more existential with their horror.

• Promotion 1

I just watched this yesterday:

This is horror in it's own way, as in being depressing. The horror of being trapped surrounded by the element sonic fears the most, water. No blood and gore, sonic exe, just normal sonic, alone with his thoughts, but determined.

Something like this works.

Scrapnik Island and the Metal Virus arc had the right idea. Give Sonic a major handicap, and have him actually work out how to survive.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

I've recently been watching some Sonic Underground. I think the roboticization of Mobians in the show was portrayed pretty decent enough for a Saturday morning kids cartoon, but when I saw it I was like "Wait...". The roboticization aspect was phased out probably because it was horrifying to have your body and mind literally transformed into being Robotnik's property.

I hate to be that one Sonic.EXE fan, but come on, it could have been better.

Just think: Back then, you never knew why some demon possessed him, and turn on every. single. one. of his friends. brutally killed, no mercy. even The Doctor was given no mercy. Sonic.EXE: The Disaster does it right for me; it tries, to get away from the foolishness of FNF, Content farms, and memes. he rules now. you don't get to play as the hero who always wins. you run away from him. you hide. and once your found, its over. and when its over, all you get to do, is sit and watch them all suffer, while Sonic.EXE turns the Happy-go-luck world you once knew, into HELL. Sonic.EYX does this TREMENDOUSLY good, it not being a form of sonic, more so, a distorted timeline of his own creation. its like as if, someone else decides if you win. but you don't. no one-ups, no protection, no rings, no heads-up. your gone for good. I think, if EXE was given another chance, it could be as Bone-chilling as sink. no hope, for noone. just the terrifying rule of a demon.