Awoo.

Post-Launch Content, Game Structure and More Confirmed In SEGA HARDlight Interview

nuckles87

• Sonic News

With less than a week to go before Sonic Dream Team's release, we've finally learned a little more about what exactly it's supposed to be, and how it took its final form, thanks to a new interview with SEGA HARDlight's Dan Rosatti by the online publication TouchArcade, which you can read here.

One of the most interesting things the interview revealed is the game's planned longevity: it will have post launch content. The exact nature of that content isn't elaborated on much, but we are given a hint. A 120hz mode for Apple devices that support is being worked on, and may release in the future if bugs caused by the increased frame rate can be quashed. Nothing else is said about the game's future, though it should be noted that SEGA HARDlight has a long history of bringing new levels, characters, and character variants into their Sonic games.

Speaking of characters, when talking about why Cream and Rouge were included rather than Shadow and Blaze, Rosatti said that those characters require more "existential threats" than what's happening at the "start" of the game. An interesting choice of words I may be reading too much into, but it certainly sounds like the game's plot could become "existential enough" for these sorts of characters later.

As for why Cream and Rouge were included, Rosatti said the "narrative" reason will become clear while playing the game, but that Cream and Rouge were included in part because they could share movesets with Tails and Knuckles. However, beyond that, the people at SEGA HARDlight are also just massive Cream fans. Rosatti even went so far as to shape the game's plot to make sure she could be included:

For Dream Team, I was able to shape the story around Cream because I wanted it to feel natural to have such a young character in harm’s way, with the reason being circumstantial rather than due to poor or out-of-character choices.

When asked about the Sonic Adventure comparisons, Rosatti confirmed that the games were referenced, but the primary goal of the dev team was making Dream Team its own thing. Specifically, Rosatti says that the vision of the game was "to make a game that allowed players to get into an exhilarating flow state." To this end, the controls were built to maximize accessibility, even when using a touch screen. Dream Team's levels and controls are built around replayability, by encouraging players to find their flow and figure out the best ways to get through a level:

To achieve this, we considered skate parks and bobsled runs with rounded corners so you can easily transition from floor to wall, keeping your flow. We also added in the boost, which, if you find a good line through the levels, you should be able to chain them to get some amazingly fast run-throughs. 

Finally, Rosatti talked about the game's structure. In addition to the challenge of finding the quickest routes through levels (which is confirmed to have a high skill ceiling), there will also be lots of missions, as well as collectibles to unlock via challenges. The levels are built to be explored, and Dream Team's character roster will unlock over the course of the story, giving you more ways to go back and explore those levels.

Again, you can read the full interview here. Sonic Dream Team will release on December 5. Be sure to stay tuned to Sonic Stadium for more coverage on the game!

Original Post Content:

View full story

Glad this game is getting post-launch support. 12 stages across 4 levels is not much, even if it is a “smaller” game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you HARDLIGHT! Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 3

Truly a dream game! (Well, it'd be better if it had Shadow, but anyway looking forward to it!!!)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Shilvanic said:

I will have to settle for seeing it since I don't have the money to buy an Apple 😢

Remember you can get a used Apple TV 4K for around $60-80. Don't know if that is still above your budget though.

Hardlight has a great number of Cream fans? Doesn't really reflect that on Forces Speed Battle though...or Dash. There's like only 3 Cream characters (including her normal/regular skin).

But Cream hasn't been playable in a non-mobile game since....Free Riders? So I'm applaud Hardlight for taking this one golden opportunity to bring Cream back for this game. I miss her.

Will be rocking Amy on any opportunity in this game though (on my 1st playthrough anyway).

Edited by Ming Ming Hatsune
  • Thumbs Up 1