Awoo.

Dreamcast's 25th Anniversary

Dreadknux

I know I'm a day late, but I'm surprised nobody made a topic about this! It's now been 25 years since the launch of the Sega Dreamcast in Japan, and ergo 25 years since the (first) arrival of Sonic Adventure!

dreamcast.jpeg

From SEGA's Japanese Threads channel (translated):

*゚+。:.゚•.¸¸HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dreamcast*¨.:。+゚*•.¸

It was born 25 years ago on November 27, 1998. "Dreamcast" was Sega's last home game console.

Equipped with the standard internet communication function, which was revolutionary at the time 25 years ago, anyone can now enjoy online games. It also has extensive communication functions such as chat, connecting people all over the world.

https://www.threads.net/@segaofficial/post/C0IUrLvvcLP/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D

I know a lot of us wouldn't have enjoyed the Dreamcast until its Western arrival in 1999 (a year after Japan's 1998 launch), but thinking about this little console gives me some really fond memories. Playing Sonic Adventure for the first time on Christmas Day 1999, then realising after completing Sonic's story that I needed a VMU so had to go to town the next day and buy one. I didn't mind replaying all of Sonic's story again though. :)

So many great titles for this console in such a short space of time. I remember Ready 2 Rumble Boxing being all over game shops back in the day. And I loved Evolution: World of Sacred Device when I picked it up.

Anyone have any favourites/fond memories?

• Fist Bump 3

Happy birthday Dreamcast!!! Unfortunately I never played Dreamcast games (and I'm upset about it) but SA series is the best! 

• Fist Bump 1

I still remember seeing one on display at my local fair back in 1999. It was amazing. Later, at the end of the school year, my parents surprised me with one (and it came with Sonic Adventure!) Best start to a summer break, ever!

• Fist Bump 1

I unfortunately never had a dreamcast. but it is very good for having incredible games like sonic shuffle, SA and SA2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DREAMCAST

Edited by SuperSonicFan Gui
  • Fist Bump 1

Happy B-day dreamcast! Never had one but I still respect it!

• Nice Smile 3

Happy birthday Dreamcast! I still have mine and it remains one of my favorite consoles. It's so good looking design wise and the amount of features it has is awesome. Too bad it didn't sell very well.

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DREAMCAST!  I remembered when I used to play Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 all the time on that console.  They also had Fur Fighters and Crazy Taxi, which were treats to play.  Too bad this didn't sell that well...

• Thumbs Up 1

Still my favourite console. The look was great, the name was great, the games were great, the VMU was great, the internet connectivity was great.

• Fist Bump 1

25 years and I still didn't buy mine

I still want a real Dreamcast (probably with "GDemu", a mod that replaces the disc reader with a sdcard reader for convenience purposes) but I can never find a finantial opportunity to get one here in Brazil. But I'll keep an eye on it.

I personally didn't play much on a Dreamcast, I remember 2 key moments from my past where I played it - one on a friends' home and other on a rental store (you know, those stores that allows you to rent a game for 1 hour or 2 that had various diferent video games on display and you could play the rented games there, good times...)

I played Marvel VS Capcom 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica, Sonic Adventure 2 (never played the OG Adventure 1, sadly), SONIC SHUFFLE (believe it or not), Gunbird, some racing game (probably Sega Rally or Daytona USA 2001, can't remember) and I think that was it.