Awoo.

Which Sonic model(s) are your favorite?

Maria.Sosori

I know this is kind of a silly question, but I was curious. I am specifically referring to Sonic himself, but you may state some other Sonic character models you like. Pixel art counts as well.

I've always liked SatSR Sonic, ShTH/Heroes Sonic, and Sa2 Sonic. I found his models very cute and silly. Just a little craeture... /intentional misspelling

Sonic Rush and Sonic R Sonic are high contenders as well. The low-poly charm radiates off of those models.

spacer.png

(SatSR Sonic model above.)

BOOM SONIC.

EDIT: I don't really care about if Sonic has long or short quills; Sonic is Sonic, nothing will change that.

But to answer your question, I like the Boom and movie models(and modern and classic ones too)

Edited by Ratchet25tx
  • Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Ratchet25tx said:

BOOM SONIC.

Oh, yessss. His smaller hands certainly work better for animation and he's more expressive.

Edited by Maria.Sosori
removed "just" because it kinda changed my meaning
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Maria.Sosori said:

Oh, yessss. His smaller hands certainly work better for animation and he's more expressive.

lol ya, it's hilarious.

• Chuckle 1

11 hours ago, GX -The Spindash- said:

Until we can get some proper Gunpla, this is my favorite model.

81mzWNT9mXL-1380712819.thumb.jpg.635a275fdbe8b9323a5c9a7ff6f14d3f.jpg

Wow, that is possibly one of the best Sonic figurines I've ever seen! Better than the 3D renders the Sonic twitter uses, lol

I've always had a soft spot for Sonic Jam's 3D Sonic.

It was so cool to (kinda) play a Sonic game in 3 dimensions at the time, although it would be a little while before we got an actual 3D Sonic Adventure.

Apart from that, Classic Mega Drive Sonic obvs, SA2 Sonic, and Sonic Colors Sonic always looked good.

Jam.jpg

Edited by King of Fanta
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

tbh, I may be re-stating on what I think about Sonic models, but Sonic is Sonic. Nothing will change him, whether Classic or modern, long quills or short quills, Boom or movie, he's still sonic

My taste is super weird and varied so bear with me, lol

I like Sonic's model in...

SA2

Sonic '06

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic Boom

Sonic Superstars

(In no particular order)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, King of Fanta said:

Sonic Colors Sonic always looked good

I didn't really like SC Sonic that much because of the 2D static mouth, but he's okay in cutscenes

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I like the model used in promotional material for SA1 (...and I believe the opening cutscene? Correct me if I'm wrong.) He's got an edge here that I enjoy.

s1.png

s2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

For Classic Sonic, I'd say Superstars rendering in-game is unbelievably gorgeous.

For "Modern" Sonic - I still have a massive soft spot for Sonic Adventure 2. The tall legged, flexy large gloved models felt really expressive to me. I was really happy they went back to this look one other time for the Sonic Riders series). Also, soap shoes where the best - I always apply these when given a cosmetic option as they just make far more sense in game for rail grinding than his regular pair of sneaks. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Gruffin said:

He's got an edge here that I enjoy.

And lots of meme potential

54 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

For Classic Sonic, I'd say Superstars rendering in-game is unbelievably gorgeous.

For "Modern" Sonic - I still have a massive soft spot for Sonic Adventure 2. The tall legged, flexy large gloved models felt really expressive to me. I was really happy they went back to this look one other time for the Sonic Riders series). Also, soap shoes where the best - I always apply these when given a cosmetic option as they just make far more sense in game for rail grinding than his regular pair of sneaks. 

I miss the soapshoes--I know they were available in Sonic Frontiers as a reward for signing up for the newsletter, but I missed out on it, oopsie!

On 10/25/2023 at 4:59 PM, joe_schmoe99 said:

My taste is super weird and varied so bear with me, lol

I like Sonic's model in...

SA2

Sonic '06

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic Boom

Sonic Superstars

(In no particular order)

I can see why, but I think 06 Sonic is most charming with his 3d renders and CGI models. In-game 06 Sonic is a bit 'ehh' for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, Maria.Sosori said:

And lots of meme potential

I miss the soapshoes--I know they were available in Sonic Frontiers as a reward for signing up for the newsletter, but I missed out on it, oopsie!

I can see why, but I think 06 Sonic is most charming with his 3d renders and CGI models. In-game 06 Sonic is a bit 'ehh' for me.

yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to regarding 06. wasn't very clear, haha

• Thumbs Up 1

I like that Sonic Booms character design makes the characters a bit more proportional, especially with the hands. Also, I know this is probably a very hot take, but Rise of Lyric had some of the best character animations in the series. Not visually, obviously, but the way the characters moved and interacted was entertaining to watch. I really like the squish and stretch animation, kind of like 3D rubber hose. Also also, I think that center-mouth actually looks really good on Sonic.

SA2 and ShtH are just so... idk, expressive, I think, is the word? Like, I just feel like they are never NOT doing something, never just standing there and...looking at nothing(lookin' at you, Frontiers). 

Sonic 06 has the problem where they're just kind of standing there doing nothing, but I really like the way the models actually look, especially Rouge and Tails.

Frontiers and Forces have the worst models, imo. I don't like side-mouth, and these two kind of overutilize it. Additionally, they're just so lifeless.

Edited by an idiot
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, an idiot said:

I like that Sonic Booms character design makes the characters a bit more proportional, especially with the hands. Also, I know this is probably a very hot take, but Rise of Lyric had some of the best character animations in the series. Not visually, obviously, but the way the characters moved and interacted was entertaining to watch. I really like the squish and stretch animation, kind of like 3D rubber hose. Also also, I think that center-mouth actually looks really good on Sonic.

Yeah, the animations just feel so expressive and cartoony in Sonic Boom. They managed to tone down the proportions without making it look weird. Sonic Forces' proportions for each character were so out of hand that it must've been a nightmare to animate, what with those big hands and heads. 

3 hours ago, an idiot said:

Frontiers and Forces have the worst models, imo. I don't like side-mouth, and these two kind of overutilize it. Additionally, they're just so lifeless.

Forces had it the worst out of those two. While I'm not going to throw a fit over the shade of blue or length, it was kind of a weird choice to make him look more like Classic Sonic. I always liked the stylish dark blue and cool edge the longer quills gave him. Both those models certainly overdo the side mouth. While it can be charming, it's good to balance it out with a centered mouth, otherwise, it looks weird. 

And the Frontiers pfp. Lol

21 minutes ago, Maria.Sosori said:

And the Frontiers pfp. Lol

Lmao, that one image of Sonic and Knuckles in Frontiers sent me into orbit with the expressions. Wish they made it into the game. Also, I like your pfp. Sonic Dash and Spin manga, right? It's been a while since I read any of the old Sonic mangas.

7 hours ago, an idiot said:

Lmao, that one image of Sonic and Knuckles in Frontiers sent me into orbit with the expressions.

Which image are you referring to?

7 hours ago, an idiot said:

Sonic Dash and Spin manga, right?

Yes. I've been trying to learn Japanese to hopefully try to translate the rest of Dash and Spin and other Japan-exclusive Sonic manga. I really liked how they drew Shadow in it, haha

10 hours ago, Maria.Sosori said:

Which image are you referring to?

Whoops, should've been clearer on that one, sorry! It's this image. 

Also, I know you probably want to translate it on your own, but I think there's a translated copy of issues 1 and 2 online somewhere. That's where I read it, but I can't for the life of me remember what the site was called.

Sonic Frontiers Sonic and Knuckles.jpg

• Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, an idiot said:

Whoops, should've been clearer on that one, sorry! It's this image. 

Also, I know you probably want to translate it on your own, but I think there's a translated copy of issues 1 and 2 online somewhere. That's where I read it, but I can't for the life of me remember what the site was called.

Sonic Frontiers Sonic and Knuckles.jpg

Huh, pretty certain the image was in the game. I beat it a few months after it was released, so maybe it's just a Mandela effect or something.

I have read a few chapters from the manga. I think it was chapters 1-6 of issue 1 and chapters 17-18 of issue 2.

And I still want to learn Japanese. I've always wanted to, but never really had the motivation, but this gives me one. Plus, I could translate more obscure manga and other Japanese Sonic media, so that's a plus.

Edited by Maria.Sosori
added the last few sentences regarding japanese
  • Way Past Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Maria.Sosori said:

And I still want to learn Japanese. I've always wanted to, but never really had the motivation, but this gives me one. Plus, I could translate more obscure manga and other Japanese Sonic media, so that's a plus.

Same, I've wanted to learn Japanese for some time now, but I don't have the motivation. So, props to you for sticking with it!

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, an idiot said:

Same, I've wanted to learn Japanese for some time now, but I don't have the motivation. So, props to you for sticking with it!

Thanks, I had to restart my course in Japanese since I forgot pretty much everything lmao. Ten day streak so far

4 minutes ago, Maria.Sosori said:

Thanks, I had to restart my course in Japanese since I forgot pretty much everything lmao. Ten day streak so far

Haha, that's how I was with any and all foreign language I learned(except a couple of swears in Japanese, go figure). Well, I wish you the best of luck in learning it!

• Fist Bump 1