Awoo.

Report: Nintendo Switch '2' was shown behind closed doors to developers at Gamescom

Dreadknux

Looks like Nintendo is getting ready to prep developers for the next console! And they did so at Gamescom, no less. I was just there!

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-nintendo-showed-switch-2-demos-at-gamescom/

Nintendo privately showed invited developers specially prepared tech demos for its next-generation games console, which could launch next year.

A Zelda BotW demo was shown off on the new hardware, apparently, but it doesn't mean a re-release is happening:

One ‘Switch 2’ demo is understood to have been an improved version of the Switch launch title Zelda: Breath of the Wild, running at a higher framerate and resolution than the original game did, on hardware targeting the new console’s specs (but there was no suggestion the game will actually be re-released.)

This is probably the most exciting bit:

Another VGC source claimed that Nintendo showcased Epic’s impressive The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo – originally released to showcase the power of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in 2021 – running on target specs for its next console.

The demo is said to have been running using Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology, with advanced ray tracing enabled and visuals comparable to Sony‘s and Microsoft’s current-gen consoles (however, it should be noted this does not mean the Switch successor will sport raw power anywhere near that of PS5 or Xbox Series X, which aren’t portable devices).

A previous version of the article mentioned the demo was utilising DLSS 3.5, which is the latest version and would be super incredible, but mention of it has since been removed. So it's probably DLSS 2 or something, which is still good.

What are we hoping for with the next Nintendo hardware?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

I use AI upscaling and motion smoothing that's built into my TV all the time. It's not perfect, but it's a damn good substitute. Playing through TotK with both enabled makes the game feel like it's running at 60fps and at a a resolution greater than 1080p. And I've also compared Sonic Frontiers on both PS5 in gaming mode and Switch with upscaling and motion smoothing. Again, the results are really impressive. 

I'm a bit skeptical about the supposed power of the Switch successor, but if it can make good use of DLSS then that will go a long way to bridging the gap because the it and more powerful platforms. I'm really looking forward to learning more about it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

Well as long backwards support is included... otherwise there's not much advantage for me to upgrade from my switch to its sucessor, i don't wanna lose my current game library

Saying this because I think the Zelda BotW demo they displayed is from a new version for this console and not the original switch version (like a tech demo)

Edited by AlexHidanBR

Honestly, whether or not I get the Switch 2 entirely depends on the quality of the games released for it, not on the console's specs themselves. However, I do hope for the sake of those for whom performance matters that Nintendo doesn't mess this up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's hope this one is good! Fingers crossed!

2 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I personally want more power so that I can play more 3rd party games as 60FPS!

That's entirely reasonable. Most of the games I play are turn-based RPGs or cozy games (I am not great with anything involving reflexes, which is weird coming from a Sonic fan), so those aren't usually framerate-intensive, so it's not a huge priority for me, but it is for a lot of people, and I respect that.

• Thumbs Up 2