Awoo.

TailsTube Episode #2 - Orbot

Sonictrainer

3 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I think non-Eggman humans must be about to appear again though, right? There was that mystery woman artwork in the first Tailstube that Ian Flynn is all #KnowingSmile about. So surely she (and perhaps other humans) will either show up in Frontiers or IDW or something soon.

Yeah to be honest I'd forgotten about her already. Hopefully though. My ideal is if it's like reboot Archie, which is what the first episode kind of made it sound like with the islands and continents. Can probably mix and match locations and characters more that way too (some humans live on the islands, some animals on the continents).

• Thumbs Up 3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zoomzeta

• Dr. Mechano

• Zaysho

• CrownSlayers Shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, SolidSonicTH said:

Sonic Stadium should update their front page...

Ok, off-topic though.

7 hours ago, King Conne said:

Remember Wing Fortress Zone in SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (16-bit")?!...
It was written "Eggman" on it, so I don't think Eggman would paint it on his flying base if it was just a nickmane given by Sonic to make fun of him!!...

Could be that Eggman claimed the nickname from Sonic before Sonic 1 in the Japanese continuity. They had a history before that. And in English he wrote it everywhere to mock Sonic.

Thought it was kinda weird they're sticking to the Sonic Adventure dub when they exclusively refer to Classic Eggman as "Eggman" now, but there's no dialogue so we don't know how he refers to himself in the classic games..

• Thumbs Up 1

At least they made the info-dumping entertaining.

Not a substitute for telling instead of showing because you couldn’t be bothered, but props for engagement.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it makes the most sense that the "Eggman" nickname was adopted pre-Sonic 2, yeah.

Not only is "EGGMAN" on the Wing Fortress, but his plan centers around the Death Egg. Sonic 2 seems to be when Eggman leaned hard into the egg-theming, and it only escalated from there, with the Egg Robos in Sonic 3 and the various "egg" mechs in the following games.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I think it makes the most sense that the "Eggman" nickname was adopted pre-Sonic 2, yeah.

Not only is "EGGMAN" on the Wing Fortress, but his plan centers around the Death Egg. Sonic 2 seems to be when Eggman leaned hard into the egg-theming, and it only escalated from there, with the Egg Robos in Sonic 3 and the various "egg" mechs in the following games.

A lot of fans tend to forget/don't know that Sonic 1 isn't the first time Sonic has ever fought Eggman. Both the Japanese manual for Sonic 1 and the official Japanese series bible firmly establish Sonic and Dr. Eggman already as enemies with a previous history. We don't know how far back that history goes, but Eggman specifically says "Sonic... that annoying, cheeky hedgehog. He's the one who's always ruining my great plans." Plans as in plural, so Sonic has had multiple adventures trying to stop Eggman by this point. So it's not unreasonable to assume by the time Sonic 1 does happen Robotnik had fully embraced the Eggman name.  

What's interesting is that I think this is the first time Eggman's first name "Ivo" has ever been used in a piece of Japanese material(Also worth noting that the Japanese version pronounces "Ivo" correctly unlike the English version. It's pronounced "E-Vo" not "Eye-Vo"). While Sonic Adventure 2 did firmly establish the Robotnik name being related to him and the whole "Eggman is an insult created by Sonic" has been canon in Japan since at least 2004, all character guides and profiles in Japan would always insist his real name was "unknown". This is the first time I believe the Japanese side has fully canonized "Ivo Robotnik" as Eggman's real name.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

What's interesting is that I think this is the first time Eggman's first name "Ivo" has ever been used in a piece of Japanese material(Also worth noting that the Japanese version pronounces "Ivo" correctly unlike the English version. It's pronounced "E-Vo" not "Eye-Vo"). While Sonic Adventure 2 did firmly establish the Robotnik name being related to him and the whole "Eggman is an insult created by Sonic" has been canon in Japan since at least 2004, all character guides and profiles in Japan would always insist his real name was "unknown". This is the first time I believe the Japanese side has fully canonized "Ivo Robotnik" as Eggman's real name.

It really does floor me that it's been 30 years of this series' existence, and only now does Japan get Eggman's real name in canon. I want to say it's because the movie forced their hand, but SEGA approved of it, so...

Huh, times are changing. The original Japanese lore is still god, not that I personally liked the American backstory, but they're open to incorporating some Western ideas into the canon. First the Robotnik name, then chilli dogs, then Classic Sonic taking cues from Greg Martin's design, now Eggman's full name... It's actually pretty neato.

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2022 at 1:02 AM, SolidSurgeTT said:

I mean to discuss TailsTube #2, obviously.

Generally we tend to focus on stuff that reveals new information, when it comes to the Sonic News side of the site. Also, we have a small editorial staff so we sadly can't cover everything that happens (I do have a plan for that though, but it involves some site development/changes). We do amplify the TailsTube episodes on our social media and it is usually discussed here. So I think we have things covered in terms of the series' presence on the site for now. But it's something I'm thinking about generally speaking, so thanks for the feedback.

(I'll stop off-topic'ing now, I just wanted to throw that in there because a new topic was created about this question and it isn't really necessary when I can answer it here)

• Thumbs Up 1