Awoo.

13 Greatest Sonic the Hedgehog Stories of All Time (IDW & Archie Comics)

sonicclaasic

spacer.png

https://screenrant.com/best-sonic-hedgehog-comic-stories-ever-archie-idw/#regina-replaces-dr-eggman-archie

Sonic the Hedgehog's comics have seen the Blue Blur go through triumph and tragedy, and his best adventures span numerous issues with major impacts for the franchise's characters and larger stories. Rather than a series of isolated adventures, Sonic's fight for freedom is a saga, and the best stories truly embrace that idea.

Here, then, are the greatest comic storylines every Sonic the Hedgehog fan should rush out and read. The list will consider both Archie Comics and IDW Publishing continuity, though it's worth noting that Archie published hundreds of issues during its incredible run, while IDW has yet to reach 75, meaning there's plenty of time for the latter to bring fans even more stories that belong on this list.

Screen Rant giving their 13 greatest Sonic stories of all time from both the IDW Sonic & Archie Comics. I've still not read any of the Archie Sonic comics myself yet only the IDW Sonic comics which I am enjoying the series so far.

Where should I start on the Archie Sonic comics because I like to make a start on the Archie Sonic comics at some point.

Okay, who wrote this list? There is plenty of data, so the author is knowledgeable, but the choices are... baffling. XYL as nr 5? Okay, this "Steven" person has the right to have unique opinions, but is he even aware he chose some very unpopular arcs? And even Flynn admits "House of Cards" wasn't great, but apparently it's nr 1?

Eh, who cares. There is reason I never visit sites like screenrant

3 hours ago, sonicclaasic said:

Where should I start on the Archie Sonic comics because I like to make a start on the Archie Sonic comics at some point.

You have 3 options

Spoiler

1) Read all of it. The good and the bad.
Length: 290 main issues + 94 SU + 32 KtE + more
+ Maximal context for good stories
- Reading the bad stories
- Pretty long. I think it took me at least 6 months.

2) Start with Reboot (+Mega Man crossovers)
Length: 252-290 main book, 55-94 SU, few short stories if you're Completionist, Mega Drive 1&2)
(Mega Man 1-55 and Sonic Boom 1-11 if you want)
+ (Mostly) clean-cut
+ Pretty much only good stories, Flynn & other best
- Missing the other stuff by Flynn during 160-247
- Spoilers for several stuff about Pre-reboot and how it ended (sadly many plot points never got resolved)

3) Starting with Flynn
Length 160-247 main book + 1-50 SU + Whole Reboot & Megaman crossovers + few minor stories)
+ Basically reading all the "best stuff"
- Missing some of the good stuff from the best
- Missing a lot of context
+/- Flynn himself suggested that if you want to start with him, start with 130 instead. In that issue, Sonic returns from space and hasn't seen any of his friends for months, some of them changing during that time. This is a fairly convenient Jumping Point, plus those extra 29 issues will give you a lot of context, especially for the 160-185 isssues, the "Cleaning plot points" period of Flynn's writing.

Personally, I'm always in favor of reading everything (if you want I can give you a reading order or break it into "eras" for easier consumption), but if prefer jumping into Flynn's run, I agree with him, start at Issue 130. There will be some baaaaaaad stories, but a context for the future will be worth it. Plus there is Encyclopedia if you want a convenient summary of 90% of Pre-reboot universe.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Okay, who wrote this list? There is plenty of data, so the author is knowledgeable, but the choices are... baffling. XYL as nr 5? Okay, this "Steven" person has the right to have unique opinions, but is he even aware he chose some very unpopular arcs? And even Flynn admits "House of Cards" wasn't great, but apparently it's nr 1?

Eh, who cares. There is reason I never visit sites like screenrant

You have 3 options

Reveal hidden contents

1) Read all of it. The good and the bad.
Length: 290 main issues + 94 SU + 32 KtE + more
+ Maximal context for good stories
- Reading the bad stories
- Pretty long. I think it took 6 months at least to read it.

2) Start with Reboot (+Mega Man crossovers)
Length: 252-290 main book, 55-94 SU, few short stories if you're Completionist, Mega Drive 1&2)
(Mega Man 1-55 and Sonic Boom 1-11 if you want)
+ (Mostly) clean-cut
+ Pretty much only good stories, Flynn & other best
- Missing the other stuff by Flynn during 160-247
- Spoilers for several stuff about Pre-reboot and how it ended (sadly many plot points never got resolved)

3) Starting with Flynn
Length 160-247 main book + 1-50 SU + Whole Reboot & Megaman crossovers + few minor stories)
+ Basically reading all the "best stuff"
- Missing some of the good stuff from the best
- Missing a lot of context
+/- Flynn himself suggested that if you want to start with him, start with 130 instead. In that issue, Sonic returns from space and hasn't seen any of his friends for months, some of them changing during that time. This is a fairly convenient Jumping Point, plus those extra 29 issues will give you a lot of context, especially for early.

Personally, I'm always in favor of reading everything (if you want I can give you a reading order or break it into "eras" for easier consumption), but if prefer jumping into Flynn's run, I agree with him, start at Issue 130. There will be some baaaaaaad stories, but a context for the future will be worth it. Plus there is Encyclopedia if you want a convenient summary of 90% of Pre-reboot universe.

Thanks for your suggestions on the 3 options of the Archie Sonic comics options.

Yeah, everyone has their opinions and are entitled to them on which story arcs are the best for the series and all that, so I just take it with a grain of salt. 

• Thumbs Up 2

*opens the list*

*CTRL + F5 Eggman Empire

*almost closes the list* 

Holy Hell they picked 4 stories from the Dark Ages (from Eggman coming back in that bad SA adaption to Birthday Bash). 

The Metal Virus was absolutely robbed. That deserved number 1 way more than Sonic betrays Tails

Bro…the fact that there were ZERO Post-Reboot Archie mentions makes this list suspect. As someone who wants a lot of Pre-Reboot Archie back, that is absolutely bonkers.

I’ll give props for the author delving further into Archie Sonic’s comic history, but most of the mentions were questionable.

Most surprising that #1 on the list was “Sonic betrays Tails” aka House of Cards. I’d almost say the author of this list is trolling for even having the sheer audacity to mention it, much less put that arc in that position given how rushed and poorly paced that arc was. They probably only included it because it was the first time Sonic and Tails genuinely went at each other’s throats for their own personal reasons (which, hey, I can actually side with that, because that’s a great sell of a story). But still…number 1?!

Also, much as I loved the arc where Regina replaces Eggman aka Iron Dominion arc, I wouldn’t put that in #2. But hey, glad I seeing more support for it, even despite my issues with it.

And not only that, but all of the Pre-Reboot Arcs somehow beat out all the IDW stories. I’d agree that a select number of even Pre-Reboot Archie beats out a number of IDW’s (of Flynn’s era only), but not the ones mentioned on this list. Iron Dominion would be the only exception for me, but everything else? Like bro, I’ve smoked better shit than whatever the author was on to come up with this list. 

Hey! Let's make our own 13 Greatest Sonic the Hedgehog Stories of All-Time from IDW and Archie list!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, I would need to think about this, but at the top of my head:
(PS. I put only stories with 4 issues or longer. Or special similar length)

13 Iron Dominium (StH 200-212  + SU 13-16)
12 Mecha Madness (StH 39 + Special)
11 Moebius Invasion (StH 189-196)
10 Enerjack Returns (StH 180-184)
9 The Brotherhood of Metallix (Fleetway, 53-62, 67-72)
8 Seasons of Chaos (Sonic 30th Anniversary Special)
7 Mecha Sally (StH 225-247)
6 Championship (StH 268-271)
5 Metal Virus (StH 13-32)
4 Silver Saga (SU 25-28)
3 Treasure Team Tango (SU 21-24)
2 Scrapnik Island (Mini-series)
1 Battle for the Empire (Imposter Syndrome 1-4, StH 49-50)

I have no idea on how can I make a top 10 or 13 of so many stories, I didn't read all Archie either, I read the first 60 or so issues, then skipped the dark age era, started again with Tracy and Ian's era from 160 and read everything including Sonic Universe, plus the reboot obviously. Everything from IDW too since it's fresh and recent. Plus I did read the initial miniseries like Sally, Knuckles, Tails, some of the specials and the Death Egg mini.

I would group some of my favorite stories per book/era in no particular order:

Pre-reboot Archie:

Mecha Madness - it was just so much fun to see their own take on Mecha Sonic plus the final battle was really crazy.

Endgame - as divisive as it is I did like how this concludes the first cycle of comics, the idea is really interesting too like a WTF scenario.

King Naugus - This is where I first picked up the Archie run, there are some issues that were really good, like I remember 225 which is where Eggman returns with the Death Egg II, the repercussions of Geoffrey's betrayal and Amy being a core part of the Freedom Fighters. I did not like Mecha Sally mostly because of how underused she was and the later legal mess that changed the course of the story.

252 reboot:

Worlds Collide - the first crossover with Mega Man might be one of my all-time favorite stories, includes cameos from Archie too but it's just so delicious and entertaining, also Eggman is crazier and more wicked than the rational Wily.

Countdown to Chaos - I thought this was also a nice introduction to the new world plus of the Avengers like Freedom Fighters and their ship, the Skypatrol plus the whole memories arc was a nice continuity bridge, they should have not forgotten that stuff although we did need to move on.

Champions - this was so good! And it was mostly a game focused arc, not much to say, great use of the cast and entertaining all the way though.

Sonic Universe:

The Silver Saga - it was a dark story but I liked how Silver was the main character and hope in the darkest of timelines, and he didn't even need a super form for the final fight.

Shadow Fall - it was basically a Shadow sequel story with expies for Black Doom and Mephiles but I was so into Eclipse's villain, plus more Team Dark as friends dynamic.

Total Eclipse - I liked it because it was the crossover between the first 2 arcs and with new interactions, and I even liked the idea of the Dark Arms.

Spark of Life - This was actually more of Sally and Nicole story rather than a Nicole one, I liked it! Plus Tails and Big were also in the team.

IDW main:

The Metal Virus - I mostly liked the tension and conflicts for Sonic in this, I even liked the Crisis City 2 part story (I remember my WTF reaction to the ending) plus it was mostly the most intense act of the saga. I liked how the Zeti took advantage of the situation and it ultimately made sense they were big bads, the final arc is my favorite in the entire comic.

Battle for the Empire - Issue 50 may be my singular favorite issue because it is the start of the Surge and Kit arc but also a conclusion for Dr. Starline's arc and an epilogue to Belle's story (for now), it is a showdown but it's a conflict of ideals which I really loved. Surge and Kit's arc is also amazing, easily the most messed up characters in the series, their miniseries was a surprising backstory for them.

IDW miniseries and one shots:

Tangle & Whisper - While Whisper's story is kind of predictable, I liked their relationship from the get go, so different but also friends, and Whisper finally learns to talk about her issues and her story.

Scrapnik Island - It shows how standalone stories also work, with beautiful and terrifying setting and tone, also totally different from the rest of the comic, and in particular Mecha Sonic was the highlight, Mecha Knuckels was really wasted though, weird especially because there aren't many characters in the arc.

Seasons of Chaos - it was just a brilliant, simple fun story with all the classic characters to celebrate Sonic's birthday in a cool way, while simple I can see the passion in it.

• 2 months later...

Im going to have to say the Sonic 3 and Knuckles adaptaion on Sonic The Comic. They nailed tye tine, story and events really well.The Sonic CD adaption was great too and how they set up the Brotherhood of Metalix after it.

• Fist Bump 1