Awoo.

Here is something interesting, a never aired show by DiC Entertainment called Super Sonic Sisters

Shiny Gems

Yep, apparently, this almost happened. It was apparently supposed to be a show for girls, starring two hedgehogs, Monica and Isabelle, if I have that down correctly. Why not check this video out, and tell what you think of this? I think this looks like it would have been interesting, personally speaking.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Very interesting. Another one of those big what-ifs.

No kidding! It seems the 90s had an aversion to things that appealed to girls. They remade the Nintendo game, Panel de Pon in the west, they also did Puyo Puyo, among other things, and there was going to be a Popful Mail: Sister Sonic, too. Now there is this. It's quite weird they did not think well of things for girls like that, huh?

• Thumbs Up 1

I am kinda curious if this show would've just been in it's own separate continuity like the other DIC shows, or set in the SatAm or AOSTH universe. If the latter were the case, I imagine it being in AOSTH since there's no mention of the Freedom Fighters here. 

I feel like if Sega wasn't so restrictive on what characters could be used in the games, It'd be neat to see them reworked into figures similar to that of the idol characters from Splatoon where they report on big events going on in the Sonic Universe (but perhaps with them not being Sonic's cousins or attending high school). 

To be honest the show sounds... not great. Generic space/school setting with Sonic marketable face slapped over it. It's only strength is how unique it sounds. Maaaybe I would pick it over Underground?

Overall cool trivia, but I'm not that sad it got cancelled.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is so cute!!!  I love the concept, but not wild about the outer space thing.  But Monica and Isabelle are adorable!  I wonder if they’d have put any little echidna or fox pals into the mix!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I always wish Dic made a Sonic show that actually was accurate to the  US Sonic lore   

Edited by Fastest Thing Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I find the concept interesting from the perspective as someone who grew up with all this really odd and outlandish takes on Sonic since 1998 when I got my first Sonic Comic at the age of 5.

I think I would have loved it as much as I love the OG Powerpuff Girls.

It was a pleasure to draw all this concept art for this and I'd be more than happy to draw more interesting takes of the Sonic series in the future like this.