Awoo.

Would the Mario movie affect the Sonic movies moving forward?

Rabbitearsblog

So, since the Mario movie has been proven to be a huge success, do you think that the Mario movie's success will affect the Sonic movies in the long run?  Like, since the Mario movie is very game accurate, do you think that the Sonic movies will start becoming more game accurate in the near future?

25 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, since the Mario movie has been proven to be a huge success, do you think that the Mario movie's success will affect the Sonic movies in the long run?  Like, since the Mario movie is very game accurate, do you think that the Sonic movies will start becoming more game accurate in the near future?

I have not watched the film yet but seen the trailer. In my opinion I don't think 🤔 that the Mario movie would not affect the Sonic movies. I think the Sonic movies might become more game accurate In the near future. You made some great points there and It got me thinking as well to your question 😊

• Nice Smile 1

33 minutes ago, sonicclaasic said:

I have not watched the film yet but seen the trailer. In my opinion I don't think 🤔 that the Mario movie would not affect the Sonic movies. I think the Sonic movies might become more game accurate In the near future. You made some great points there and It got me thinking as well to your question 😊

I also think that the Mario movie might let Paramount ease up on allowing more game elements into the movies. I'm not sure if Paramount was the one responsible for not letting the movie crew put more game elements in the first movie, but I do know that the movie crew did want to put more elements from the games in the first movie.  Thankfully, the movie crew were allowed to add in more game elements in the second movie.

1 minute ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I also think that the Mario movie might let Paramount ease up on allowing more game elements into the movies. I'm not sure if Paramount was the one responsible for not letting the movie crew put more game elements in the first movie, but I do know that the movie crew did want to put more elements from the games in the first movie.  Thankfully, the movie crew were allowed to add in more game elements in the second movie.

I do hope so as well that Paramount allowing more game elements Into the future Sonic movies to come If they decided to do more Sonic movies In the up coming future. I did enjoyed the second movie more than the first movie. I think 🤔 It's because In the first film It didn't had that much Sonic game elements from the Sonic games liked you mentioned here. Probably that's why I enjoyed the second movie more because It had a lot more elements from the Sonic games. What I did like was the Sonic The Hedgehog 2 reference movie poster that they used from the Sonic 2 game box art cover that gave me a lot of vibes and nostalgia and memories of the 90's Sonic era as well. Again you made some great points here as well to your question 😊👍

11 minutes ago, sonicclaasic said:

I do hope so as well that Paramount allowing more game elements Into the future Sonic movies to come If they decided to do more Sonic movies In the up coming future. I did enjoyed the second movie more than the first movie. I think 🤔 It's because In the first film It didn't had that much Sonic game elements from the Sonic games liked you mentioned here. Probably that's why I enjoyed the second movie more because It had a lot more elements from the Sonic games. What I did like was the Sonic The Hedgehog 2 reference movie poster that they used from the Sonic 2 game box art cover that gave me a lot of vibes and nostalgia and memories of the 90's Sonic era as well. Again you made some great points here as well to your question 😊👍

I also enjoyed the second movie more than the first movie for the same reasons and also because I'm a huge Tails and Knuckles fan and it was great seeing them both on the big screen!

It's just the vibe I get, but the creative team behind the Sonic movies feel a little more nuanced than to just blindly take influence from Mario for no reason.  They seem to have an understanding of what makes Sonic a unique property and also have their own vision for it etc.  The third movie is probably a ways into pre-production and they're probably not going to up-end all their ideas and setup from the second movie just to chase what's popular.  If Sonic 3 is more game fanservicey, it'll be because of the strong reception to the increased fanservice in Sonic 2, not because of Mario, I think.

If there's any sense of a significant Mario movie influence in Sonic 3, I feel like it most certainly will have come from some out-of-touch executive putting down an idiotic mandate or pressure on the creative team.

• Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I also enjoyed the second movie more than the first movie for the same reasons and also because I'm a huge Tails and Knuckles fan and it was great seeing them both on the big screen!

I agree with you as well seeing both of Tails & Knuckles on the big screen. It's such a joy watching them both In the movie. When I watch the Sonic movie 2 characters It's liked I'm actually playing a Sonic game In a way 😊 I'm glad to have the steel book edition of the 4K Blu-ray with the Sonic 2 game box art reference from the Sonic 2 game.

I feel like Sonic 1 and 2 already had huge change in their ideologies. Sonic 2 has significantly less humans and more actions. Plus they rewrote several plot points.
- Tom is Sonic's best friend dad.
- Echdidnas care about getting Sonic and his speed Owls and Master Emerald
- Sonic' speed and electricity effect is unique something Tails and Knuckles will have it with no explanation
If you ask me, whoever wrote first movie was either not prepared for the sequel or had completely different plans, probably smaller in scope.

As for Mario influence, I can't see it happening. There were plenty of references in 2nd movie already, I think in fair amount.  Movie is live-action hybrid, so some thing will stay with us whenever we like it or not. And after 2 movies, it's impossible to get too close to games canon. They trying to certain degree, but also this is it's own thing. Even if Paramount wanted I don't really see what they could copy from Mario.

With that said, I always though Sonic should go full animation (preferably 2D, but whatever, 3D sells). I bet the movies would been more successful that way (maybe not 900 millions successful, but let's face it, Mario has stronger brand power)

The only way I want the Mario movie influencing the Sonic movies is to have more music from the games in the films score and more locations from the game.

14 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

The only way I want the Mario movie influencing the Sonic movies is to have more music from the games in the films score and more locations from the game.

Same thing!  I love the fact that the Sonic movies focused more on character development and I hope they keep that in Sonic 3.  But, I do want more music from the games to pop up in the movies.

On 4/26/2023 at 2:25 AM, Johnny Boy said:

This is exactly the influence I want too.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:49 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't think so, both are different brands. 

On 4/23/2023 at 7:38 PM, JezMM said:

It's just the vibe I get, but the creative team behind the Sonic movies feel a little more nuanced than to just blindly take influence from Mario for no reason.  They seem to have an understanding of what makes Sonic a unique property and also have their own vision for it etc.  The third movie is probably a ways into pre-production and they're probably not going to up-end all their ideas and setup from the second movie just to chase what's popular.  If Sonic 3 is more game fanservicey, it'll be because of the strong reception to the increased fanservice in Sonic 2, not because of Mario, I think.

If there's any sense of a significant Mario movie influence in Sonic 3, I feel like it most certainly will have come from some out-of-touch executive putting down an idiotic mandate or pressure on the creative team.

Well said. I agree. 

I think it’s like comparing apples to oranges because the premises are so different.  Mario is a completely CGI animated movie from start to finish.  It’s much more colourful and lighthearted.  Sonic however, takes a more live-action turn, making the characters “real” and placing them alongside actual people in actual places.

The second movie has more CGI since there are three animals now, not just one.  But Eggman, their surroundings, and the human cast are still live action and vital to the story.  The Sonic movies also do their own thing with both world building and relationships and I love the directions they go in.

If the Mario movie has an “equal”, it has to be Sonic Prime.  There’s a LOT more game elements and homages there than in the movies.  Will we get a full animated Sonic movie in that manner?  Maybe some day.  But I’m really happy with what we have.

5 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

I think it’s like comparing apples to oranges because the premises are so different.  Mario is a completely CGI animated movie from start to finish.  It’s much more colourful and lighthearted.  Sonic however, takes a more live-action turn, making the characters “real” and placing them alongside actual people in actual places.

The second movie has more CGI since there are three animals now, not just one.  But Eggman, their surroundings, and the human cast are still live action and vital to the story.  The Sonic movies also do their own thing with both world building and relationships and I love the directions they go in.

If the Mario movie has an “equal”, it has to be Sonic Prime.  There’s a LOT more game elements and homages there than in the movies.  Will we get a full animated Sonic movie in that manner?  Maybe some day.  But I’m really happy with what we have.

I'm really happy with what we have with the Sonic movies too.  I love how they focused on developing the characters and I hope that they continue to do so!

• 2 weeks later...

It could be cool to get more than one and a half new, named Mobians in 3, and it’ll probably happen alongside possible additions in the Knuckles show. Similar to how the DK series was a big factor into the Mario movie, and other series (Yoshi, Punch-Out, etc) were acknowledged, it would be cool to see them get people on board as the Primp Town denizens and so on.

8 hours ago, Multikaris said:

It could be cool to get more than one and a half new, named Mobians in 3, and it’ll probably happen alongside possible additions in the Knuckles show. Similar to how the DK series was a big factor into the Mario movie, and other series (Yoshi, Punch-Out, etc) were acknowledged, it would be cool to see them get people on board as the Primp Town denizens and so on.

The only thing that I'm concerned about in terms of adding more characters from the Sonic games in 3 is that they probably wouldn't get any good character development because there are too many characters to juggle in one movie.

• Thumbs Up 1