Awoo.

Mysterious Sonic Manga

SchemingMinor

I was going through some Japanese auction sites and came across this manga:

deco_ebi-img600x450-1256710848oxf4ht98301.jpg

deco_ebi-img600x450-1256710848h3gwxk98301.jpg

And suddenly I was reminded of this:

SonicManga1.jpg

Is this the same mysterious manga that contains this page? The artwork seems similar, and if so, does anyone have any information on it? If not, does anyone know what it is?

Edited by Kintobor

It can't be THAT old actually, the cover uses the 'His National Sonic' wingtip logo which was made for the SADX box, so we're looking at 2002-4 most likely.

It can't be THAT old actually, the cover uses the 'His National Sonic' wingtip logo which was made for the SADX box, so we're looking at 2002-4 most likely.

I dunno. I know that Google Translation is not really reliable since everything that comes out sounds like a pile of disjointed Engrish, but translated it says "Tokuma Shoten, Sega Mega Drive FAN appendix."

The mention of 'FAN Mega Drive appendix' indicates it might have been released in the past.

"His National Sonic"? That logo looks pretty old. In fact, I think it's copied directly from the SEGASonic logo.

SEGASONICLOGO.jpg

I believe that would be "His Name Is Sonic". =P

And I'm highly interested in this. I'm near sure this is the same comic as seen in ICEKnight's Sonic Database (which only featured the first and last pages of one of the comics).

Isn't it the Sonic 2 logo? o.O

sonic_the_hedgehog_2_profilelarge.jpg

Well minus the 2 and Tails...>_>

Edit:sonic-the-hedgehog-2jpg.jpeg

Sonic 1 fits better I guess >_>.

Edited by MarcelloF

I was going through some Japanese auction sites and came across this manga:

deco_ebi-img600x450-1256710848oxf4ht98301.jpg

deco_ebi-img600x450-1256710848h3gwxk98301.jpg

And suddenly I was reminded of this:

SonicManga1.jpg

Is this the same mysterious manga that contains this page? The artwork seems similar, and if so, does anyone have any information on it? If not, does anyone know what it is?

Yes it is the same. Solly has it and told me there were the famous Sonic Band in it. And I can seeVector behind Sonic in one of your picture.

Prof J: That logo wasn't made for SADX. It reads "His name is Sonic" and it was made for Sonic 1.

I really don't know. She vanished from the french board she was in. She told me months ago she could scan it but she never did :S

Yes it is the same. Solly has it and told me there were the famous Sonic Band in it. And I can seeVector behind Sonic in one of your picture.

Wasn't she the same person who hoarded the Sonic Heroes beta despite CuLT desperatly trying to get her to release it?

Prof J: That logo wasn't made for SADX. It reads "His name is Sonic" and it was made for Sonic 1.

Are you serious? Because thats just turned my whole world upside down. It doesn't even look like 'His name is Sonic' would stretch around there properly D=

Wasn't she the same person who hoarded the Sonic Heroes beta despite CuLT desperatly trying to get her to release it?

Are you serious? Because thats just turned my whole world upside down. It doesn't even look like 'His name is Sonic' would stretch around there properly D=

Didn't you know? I read His name is Sonic as soon as I got my copy of SA:DX. I've just looked at my copy again and it does indeed say His name is Sonic.

It's always the same. Every manga of Sonic I want to get my paws on is never completed, never gets scanned or worse it gets, it taunts me with the beautiful and colourful art and then is not translated. :/

Yeah, I hate that. So many manga are scanlated but never the Sonic ones :-/. I'd love to read them; It doesn't matter if I have to buy them or not. Actually I'd love to buy them in english, but I'd settle for a scanlation.

She recieved that beta version from a french journalist (he worked on some french gaming magazine), I don't exactly know how the Cult knew about it but she was told not to give that beta away or the journalist could get in trouble by Sega. All I know is that she got hacked by someone on Cult to get this beta.

It's also thanks to that journalist I got to see the CG renders of all 12 heroes weeks before Sega released them on the internet.

EDIT: And here is the logo in black and white, coming from Tom Payne who recieved this model sheet (along with many others) during the development of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

sonicguide24.jpg

Edited by Adamis Fox

Well, here's your chance to get it. You can go through this site and place a bid on it with a PayPal account and it will do the rest. At least it sounds easy. I never tried the service myself yet and I cannot say if their services are top notch or secure. They do provide a thorough FAQ however.

Actually, after going through this site I have seen some pretty rare and unusual Sonic stuff over the past weeks. I mean, did you know that they released a Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games strategy guide? Also, I have seen quite a few Joyopolis trinkets, like a brass Tails shoehorn.

But thanks anyways for all of the responses. At least I know a bit more about the book, and I would love to get my grubby little paws on it (except I usually pay for bids in cold hard money orders because I am leery of the PayPal services.)

May I recommend Shopping Mall Japan for anyone new to YJA buying? That's the service I use and I've never had anything but excellence from them, and you don't have to pay your max bid as a deposit like you do with most of the others.

I'm interested in these manga. Would be nice to expand my rather sad looking Japanese Sonic collection. :lol:

LOL, Nemain, we do REALLY need to communicate! These are on my watched list at the moment. Regardless of whomever wins, I'm sure we could upload some scans at some point.

Plus this should really live in the NEW MERCH FORUM, which really isn't getting enough love guyz ;__;

T

Considering how Sonic is more popular in the US than in Japan, it's apalling that NONE of the manga has been released overseas.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather they brought over Sonic manga that was actually professional looking - some of the official scans I've seen before didn't look that great. Though this peculiar manga doesn't have half-bad art, from the looks of it.

Sega might also not want to cause confusion amongst the sea of Archie Sonic comics as well. Who knows.

Bloody hell. The mangas ended up fetching ¥13,500; That's getting on £100. Someone really wanted them.

T

Holy crap in a hat, I think my post had to do something with this. :lol:

Well, if it did, I hope the person would be kind enough to scan the spoils of his bid with all of us.