Awoo.

Potential reinterpretations of the Sonic universe in the Movie verse.

Kuzu

The movie is the first real alternate media since Archie to have its own established mythos separate from the games, as most of other media since have been based on the games in some way and form (Sonic X, post-reboot Archie, Boom, and IDW). This time though, we have a whole universe with a completely different set of rules to go from, and to be honest, I find  that fascinating just for the potential things we can see. 

The first movie didn't really do much beyond a standard "Mascot character meets average joe and they go on an adventure", but it's clearly planted the seeds for potential development in the next film. The next film will likely be about Sonic & Tails and establishing their specific dynamic for this verse, and likely setting the stage for the next movie with Knuckles in some way. 

Maybe instead of their usual "big brother, little brother" dynamic, Sonic is the inexperienced one who has to learn from Tails? Robotnik still has Sonic's quill at the end of the first film, will he potentially use it to create a Sonic of his own and bring in Metal and/or Shadow? The possibilities are kind of endless and I'm curious on what they're gonna do. 

How do some of you feel about it?

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

The movie is the first real alternate media since Archie to have its own established mythos separate from the games, as most of other media since have been based on the games in some way and form (Sonic X, post-reboot Archie, Boom, and IDW). This time though, we have a whole universe with a completely different set of rules to go from, and to be honest, I find  that fascinating just for the potential things we can see. 

The first movie didn't really do much beyond a standard "Mascot character meets average joe and they go on an adventure", but it's clearly planted the seeds for potential development in the next film. The next film will likely be about Sonic & Tails and establishing their specific dynamic for this verse, and likely setting the stage for the next movie with Knuckles in some way. 

Maybe instead of their usual "big brother, little brother" dynamic, Sonic is the inexperienced one who has to learn from Tails? Robotnik still has Sonic's quill at the end of the first film, will he potentially use it to create a Sonic of his own and bring in Metal and/or Shadow? The possibilities are kind of endless and I'm curious on what they're gonna do. 

How do some of you feel about it?

I can definitely see Tails knowing more about how to navigate around Sonic's world since Sonic has been gone from his world for many years.  I can definitely see Tails being a bit more mature than Sonic also.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Maybe instead of their usual "big brother, little brother" dynamic, Sonic is the inexperienced one who has to learn from Tails?

Admittedly I still haven't seen the movie so I don't have a full grasp on its version of things but I don't really feel this one working. Movie Sonic had to do some growing compared to most other versions but by the end of the movie he's done some pretty wild stunts and beaten Robotnik so he's got some experience under his belt, and Tails...well, I don't exactly get the impression that he's a battle-hardened 8 year old from that post-credits scene. If I had to pitch something off the cuff, maybe take a "don't meet your heroes" angle, initially? Tails has presumably been jumping worlds looking for Sonic for a while, he could've built up his idea of Sonic to the point that the real thing doesn't measure up. That'd allow for some friction between them, which could be resolved by Tails having his expectations tempered a bit but also Sonic stepping up and proving that Tails wasn't entirely wrong to look up to him.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Robotnik still has Sonic's quill at the end of the first film, will he potentially use it to create a Sonic of his own and bring in Metal and/or Shadow?

Bringing in Metal or Shadow is definitely an option, and would be a natural payoff to Robotnik having that quill. Metal would probably be the better choice; as long as you've established Sonic and Robotnik you've got everything you need to tell "the" Metal Sonic story, while Shadow would have to be entirely rewritten and I imagine it'd end up something like Metal's story wearing Shadow's face. I could still see them trying it just because of Shadow's popularity and it being hard to imagine another opportunity to bring him into the movieverse, though.

e: well, thinking about it, it might not be too hard to find an explanation for Shadow; movie Sonic's got big flashy "superpowers", decide on what the source of them is supposed to be and say "yeah this Shadow guy's got that too" and have them fight about it. Bigger issue I guess is that there's probably only going to be room for one doppelganger before the movie's inexplicable success burns out and having Robotnik make one using the quill is so obvious a way to go.

• Thumbs Up 2

Merging Shadow and Metal Sonic;s lore has always been the way I've seen that plog going. There's not really a good reason to do both and Shadow is the better fit for a toy vehicle like a hollywood film.

There are a lot of directions they could go with it. The simplest and most likely one is making Shadow with the quill but they've already tied the US military pretty heavily to Eggman too so they can do an abridged version of his original story if they want. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I actually like the angle of Tails being a little disillusioned with Sonic at first, and growing to appreciated him later on. It serves the mandatory friendship failure and kind of builds on Sonic growing up to becoming someone to look up to in future films.

I'm assuming this is gonna be a trilogy since that's the standard. 

Merging Metal and Shadow's stories is the simplest and easiest way of having your cake and eating it too. I could see them leaving Robotnik in the end, just to make way for Knuckles in the 3rd film and give some pay off to the echidnas.

I feel like both can happen. Tails may find an older bother figure in Sonic, but could simultaneously serve as an exposition fairy to fill Sonic in on what he's missed. Tails' bullying is such a part of his backstory, so it could also be part of Tails' inner struggle with feeling accepted. Sonic's abilities make him someone that people will kidnap him for, while Tails' abilities got him picked on. So Sonic thinking it's neat might be a huge boost to his self-esteem.

I've seen speculation that Longclaw has factored in Tails' search for Sonic; perhaps she's taken Tails in and told him about Sonic as he grew up.

I think the quill will definitely factor into making Metal Sonic. Shadow, maybe not so much, but I do wonder if his backstory will be the same if he does appear. Then again, apparently the US government likes to say "this person never existed" about any of their failures, so I wouldn't doubt Gerald and Maria "don't exist".

I'm gonna go through some other characters, I like to speculate.

Spoiler

Knuckles is going to be interesting. In some way, he's definitely going to have some conflict with Sonic. It could be due to whatever his tribe wanted Sonic for at the start of the first movie, Eggman might fool him, or Knuckles will be sporting a hat with Longclaw's feathers and Sonic will fly into a rage. (Last one's a slight joke, but I think Longclaw will factor into their conflict in some way)

Heck, would Knuckles even be a guardian, or a warrior? If the Echidnas are still around, Knuckles might have more freedom, and a different conflict within himself. Like with family/his tribe.

Pachacamac could be around in modern times, and so could Tikal, definitely with the same dynamic. Knuckles could even be a part of it.

Shadow can go many ways. I feel like he and Sonic could get along better; remember when Sonic saw all those bikers in front of the Piston Pit and thought it was so cool? That's a bonding opportunity if I ever saw one. As for his backstory, maybe it will be the same-ish. If so, I could see Sonic relating to Shadow's loss.

If Metal Sonic shows up, I feel like Amy will, too. How they'll write her is another thing. There's more than two ways to write her and her crush on Sonic.

Tom and Maddie are probably going to take in Tails, and maybe Knuckles if he's not stuck guarding the Master Emerald. Maybe they'll take in other characters, too. Family is a running theme in the first movie, and I feel like it will continue to be a theme in the second movie and beyond.

Those are the big ones I have for the characters. As for other things...

Chaos Emeralds: they will certainly come in at some point. The presence of the Echidnas definitely points to it, and there's a spot for a huge gem on Sonic's universe map; that could be the Master Emerald.

The Echidnas chasing after Sonic reminded me of the mural in Sonic 3; they could have foreseen Sonic and that's why they want his power. For what reason, all I can think is that it probably factors into a war against another enemy.

It's obviously not everyone, but I feel like a lot of my other speculations would be "maybe they have the same role", and as much as I'd like to add onto it, I should wait till there's more to speculate on. Otherwise it's just baseless/bland.

• Thumbs Up 1

Robotnik has Sonic’s quill? That sounds really interesting I bet it looks really cool in the movie I haven’t seen yet. I think he’s going to use it to make Metal Sonic, no doubt about it, and Shadow will be introduced in movie 4, I’m guessing.

Of course it would also be cool for a story where Eggman engineers Shadow, but that would quite certainly quash any chance of seeing Metal Sonic in the movies and I think ole Metal is too big of a screenhog to pass up.

While I can see Shadow replacing Metal Sonic in the movie  in terms of who created Shadow, I do think that that might take away the tragic aspect of Shadow's character where he became a bad guy at first because of Maria's death.  That would mean that Maria would have to be omitted from the story in order for this to work.

• Thumbs Up 1

What about the possibility of incorporating other SEGA games into the mix? I also want to see the Chaotix interpreted more similarly to their Fleetway versions, and make Blaze a member. They could be in movie 2 or 3 to be Knuckles’s backup squad.

Oh, and Boom was not tied to the games and had it’s own, if shallow, mythos.

1 hour ago, Snowragnarok said:

What about the possibility of incorporating other SEGA games into the mix? I also want to see the Chaotix interpreted more similarly to their Fleetway versions, and make Blaze a member. They could be in movie 2 or 3 to be Knuckles’s backup squad.

Oh, and Boom was not tied to the games and had it’s own, if shallow, mythos.

I can see crossover with other SEGA properties if paramount wants to try a legit movie verse. But thematically the only sega property that I feel could work would be Nights. Get further than that and the genre starts bending in awkward ways.

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe Ristar too 

4 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I can see crossover with other SEGA properties if paramount wants to try a legit movie verse. But thematically the only sega property that I feel could work would be Nights. Get further than that and the genre starts bending in awkward ways.

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe Ristar too 

What about Puyo Puyo? Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi wouldn’t be too hard either. But a lot of others would be too awkward unless we just went with cameos... but the MCU at least tried.

I guess this is an opportunity to point out that, to the possible rejoicing of many, it's unlikely that the Zeti are very unlikely to be included since they are very steeped in Japanese culture compared to most other things.

Amy and while we're at it Cream might also be an awkward fit, they're at least general enough to sorta work as more civil denizens of Sonic's world.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I guess this is an opportunity to point out that, to the possible rejoicing of many, it's unlikely that the Zeti are very unlikely to be included since they are very steeped in Japanese culture compared to most other things.

Amy and while we're at it Cream might also be an awkward fit, they're at least general enough to sorta work as more civil denizens of Sonic's world.

I don't see the Zeti appearing in the movies any time soon.  They weren't that popular with the audience, although for some bizarre reason, SEGA keeps shoving those characters in our faces.

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't see the Zeti appearing in the movies any time soon.  They weren't that popular with the audience, although for some bizarre reason, SEGA keeps shoving those characters in our faces.

That's a factor too, though it'd be funny as hell if they not got used in a sequel down the road, but we're somehow used much better than in the games.

But yeah, they'd be really out of place in the universe the movie seemed to wanna make.

Cream doesn't exist - Sorry not sorry XD

But seriously though, good question. I'd like to see the chaos emeralds be introduced in a unique and different way rather than them just being "found" or "long lost". Unfortunately I feel that if they were used as major plot point they would be compared now to the infinity stones.

They do however have a chance to introduce brand new characters and creatures other than Humans into the series if they're brave enough kind of like they did with Longclaw but on a grander scale.

I have a good feeling however that the movie-verse is going to be a great place for Sonic.

• Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

The big thing i would like the movieverse to do is not have Knuckles be the last of his species. It always felt like a very limiting part of his character that brings up many plotholes when he has to leave behind the Master Emerald and such. 

While the games try to sweep this issue under the rug, I'd rather the movies give a more flexible role for Knuckles, and having other Echidnas to help guard the gem helps with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The big thing i would like the movieverse to do is not have Knuckles be the last of his species. It always felt like a very limiting part of his character that brings up many plotholes when he has to leave behind the Master Emerald and such. 

While the games try to sweep this issue under the rug, I'd rather the movies give a more flexible role for Knuckles, and having other Echidnas to help guard the gem helps with that.

That was one of the issues I had with how the games handled the Echidnas.  They didn't really give them any characterization other than they were responsible for Chaos being released and Knuckles was the last of his kind.  It would be interesting for the movie to actually explore the Echidnas a bit more.  Maybe give Tikal a bigger role.

• 2 months later...

Well since a recently leaked set photo seems to hint towards GUN making an appearance in the sequel, they're sure to be portrayed differently than they are in the games due to the movie universe being much closer to real life. (i.e. instead of the United Federation, we have the United States)

My guess is GUN will be reimagined as a US special forces team or a subdivision of NATO.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2021 at 5:22 PM, VisionaryofSUPER said:

This is the reason I was always interested in the sequel. Since the Echidna tribe is still alive in this continuity this opens up a plethora of new story telling possibilities regarding Knuckles. 

And if Shadow ever makes an appearance I hope his backstory will be kept in tact with obviously a few tweaks here and there. It would be a shame if they had Eggman create him instead of Gerald.

On 5/25/2021 at 9:22 AM, Johnny Boy said:

This is the reason I was always interested in the sequel. Since the Echidna tribe is still alive in this continuity this opens up a plethora of new story telling possibilities regarding Knuckles. 

And if Shadow ever makes an appearance I hope his backstory will be kept in tact with obviously a few tweaks here and there. It would be a shame if they had Eggman create him instead of Gerald.

I wonder how Shadow's backstory would even work in the movie-verse? As far as I know neither the United States nor the Soviet Union ever built something like Space Colony ARK, and I'm pretty sure we're still a long way off from building something like that today.

I very much doubt Shadow will ever appear in the movies - his story is so much darker than the tone set by the first film at least - but you don't need a giant space station to tell his backstory. You just need a mad scientist whose research gets (violently) shut down by the government, and the first movie does establish that the US Government employs at least one mad scientist.

2 hours ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

I very much doubt Shadow will ever appear in the movies - his story is so much darker than the tone set by the first film at least - but you don't need a giant space station to tell his backstory. You just need a mad scientist whose research gets (violently) shut down by the government, and the first movie does establish that the US Government employs at least one mad scientist.

Didn’t Walters say that Robotnik’s drone technology was revolutionary so I don’t think in the past or in the present they had anyone else with the means to create shadow

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 2:22 AM, Cosmos Rogue said:

Shadow's popularity is huge, even still to this day. If there's a third movie, I think Shadow would be a lock for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:27 PM, Grunt said:

Shadow's popularity is huge, even still to this day. If there's a third movie, I think Shadow would be a lock for it.

I do wonder at what point will they introduce Shadow into the movies.  They will have to introduce him eventually since he's a pretty popular character.  The question is though is how will the movies portray Shadow's character?  Will they make him a little more lighter in tone due to the first movie's comical tone or will they keep his character the same if the movies start becoming a bit darker?  I guess we'll have to see how the sequel will go.

Well, it's been confirmed that Knuckles is in the sequel and that he will be working with Robotnik.  So, at least the movie is keeping in tact with Knuckles starting out as a villain.  I do wonder how they will portray Knuckles' character in this movie.  Will he be angry at Sonic for the destruction of the Echidna Clan, since Sonic was around when the Echidnas were still alive or will the other Echidnas be around in the sequel?  I do feel like that having the rest of the Echidnas in the sequel might be a bit too much regarding with how many characters to fit into the film and they might not get any kind of development since Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik would be the main characters that the sequel would want to focus on.

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder at what point will they introduce Shadow into the movies.  They will have to introduce him eventually since he's a pretty popular character.  The question is though is how will the movies portray Shadow's character?  Will they make him a little more lighter in tone due to the first movie's comical tone or will they keep his character the same if the movies start becoming a bit darker?  I guess we'll have to see how the sequel will go.

Well, it's been confirmed that Knuckles is in the sequel and that he will be working with Robotnik.  So, at least the movie is keeping in tact with Knuckles starting out as a villain.  I do wonder how they will portray Knuckles' character in this movie.  Will he be angry at Sonic for the destruction of the Echidna Clan, since Sonic was around when the Echidnas were still alive or will the other Echidnas be around in the sequel?  I do feel like that having the rest of the Echidnas in the sequel might be a bit too much regarding with how many characters to fit into the film and they might not get any kind of development since Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik would be the main characters that the sequel would want to focus on.

I always felt like Eggman could trick the echidna tribe into helping him get revenge on Sonic and Pachacamac could send their best warrior (Knuckles) to aid him since he’d probably be too old to help at that point. And then you could probably have Tikal be the once echidna that sees through Eggmans bullshit and tries to get Knuckles to see the light but to no avail. Thankfully Knuckles will eventually join Sonics side by the end.