Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog Game Ideas

Nintenboi

Welcome to Sonic Game Ideas! Here you can discuss your ideas for your dream Sonic game! You can share your ideas for the stories, the characters, the levels, if your game will be 2D or 3D and more! Have fun! Bye!

A Modern Tails solo game. Maybe something unconventional like a Star Fox like 3D Shmup with a Tornado-ish plane (Skypatrol 2 or something) or a 3D Adventure third person shooter like Kid Icarus Uprising or Star Fox Assault with a customizable mech or different weapons. Or something conventional like a regular 3D platformer. I just want the two tailed genius to get some time to shine on his own. Maybe even give some love to the other "kid" characters like Cream, Charmy and possibly even Marine by making them playable alongside him. I'd personally love to see Tails, Cream and Marine or Charmy in a "squadron" of sorts for a Skypatrol game.

The Skypatrol thing in particular has some interesting story ideas if Cream is playable, since one of Tails' enemies in the original Skypatrol was a Rabbit, it would be interesting to have her be related to Cream but still a villain, possibly Vanilla's rebellious daughter who turned evil after something happened to her dad (who she takes more after, explaining her different appearance). This fanfiction explores this idea a little (ignore the unnecesssary bits like shipping, Undeground and OC's if you want): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12011239/1/A-Letter

Adventure Style game with not only speed. Don't shy away from nonspeed gameplay. Not every character has to be fast, they can play like mario, crash...

Make it story-focused.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Adventure Style game with not only speed. Don't shy away from nonspeed gameplay. Not every character has to be fast, they can play like mario, crash...

Make it story-focused.

It could work, I just wouldn't market it as a "Sonic" centric game. Perhaps a SEGA All-Stars title, Where he, and perhaps many other SEGA characters can be prominently featured, just not the lead. Also make the gameplay between different characters optional. No one wants to play a fast paced Sonic level only to have to switch to playing Bass Fishing with Big the Cat just to unlock Super Sonic. But nonetheless give special rewards to players who pursue and give the other game modes a try.

Multiple endings perhaps based on who you played and what decisions you made. A final story may exist based on these decisions, but I'd advise against a canon ending.

Me personally, I'd like to see a chao adventure game, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Isn't there already a thread like this?

I didn't really see any other threads like this. The closest I found was Zone Ideas but not game ideas.

7 minutes ago, Nintenboi said:

I didn't really see any other threads like this. The closest I found was Zone Ideas but not game ideas.

Huh. Maybe I'm mistaken? 

1 hour ago, Nintenboi said:

I'm pretty sure a thread like this existed already, I remember some ideas written in it, and I wrote something myself too.

If anything, the two threads can be merged.

Anyway, I don't want to be annoying but when a new thread is opened, it's better to put some content in it rather than just "talk about this."; you could have added your own game idea in the first post for example.

Anyawy, my idea (written in the other thread) was: let's think of a game structured similar to the classics (1 hour and half playthrough to finish it, several zones, little cutscenes and mostly in-game events), but that's just one chapter of the full game. The game is made of many chapters, like 4 or 5, and after you get to the end of a chapter, you unlock the next one; each chapter is treated like a stand alone game, with its secrets and 100% completion, not required to get to the next chapter, but required to unlock all the special endgame stuff.

Chapters are different stories, but all connected to a main story that's resolved in the final chapter. The several sub-games have the same overall platforming gameplay, but each one has its own twists: different sets of playable characters, different gameplay gimmicks, unique setting.

The idea comes from how Kirby Superstar was structured. I think that the formula would work great, if not better, for a Sonic game, given how the more traditional Sonic games are very short, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles is longer because it's made of two games/chapters already.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Rosaleia said:

It could work, I just wouldn't market it as a "Sonic" centric game. Perhaps a SEGA All-Stars title, Where he, and perhaps many other SEGA characters can be prominently featured, just not the lead. Also make the gameplay between different characters optional. No one wants to play a fast paced Sonic level only to have to switch to playing Bass Fishing with Big the Cat just to unlock Super Sonic. But nonetheless give special rewards to players who pursue and give the other game modes a try.

Multiple endings perhaps based on who you played and what decisions you made. A final story may exist based on these decisions, but I'd advise against a canon ending.

Me personally, I'd like to see a chao adventure game, though.

Dungeon-crawling magical FPS action in the vein of Heretic with Arle. SOR crew taking down punks again. NiGHTS at their best.

12 hours ago, Tarnish said:

One day, I'm gonna share my ideas I've been collecting for 15 years.

Whats stopping you from doing that, now?

12 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Dungeon-crawling magical FPS action in the vein of Heretic with Arle. SOR crew taking down punks again. NiGHTS at their best.

Mmn... Maybe not FPS. Mainly because most of SEGA's prominent titles don't fit that kind of gameplay. They're better known for their platforming titles.

20 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

Whats stopping you from doing that, now?

You mean besides the fact that I would need to illustrate a lot of them somehow first so people actually understand what I mean, there's so many of them it would take ages to write down (character abilities, shields, enemies, bosses, stage ideas, stage gimmicks, plot ideas etc.), posting a wall of text would probably make most people just skip over it, and that since it's getting very close to Christmas, most people are probably busy so not many people would see if I posted it now? Not much I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll probably make a thread for my own ideas someday, but until then, here's something small I'd like to see: stage title cards unique for each character that shows their abilities in a subtle way, but still acting as just plain title cards. (These are .swf files because that's the only way I know how to animate, hope people can still open them these days.)

Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Shadow

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA Superstars Touchdown; Sumo’s true calling, after their attempt at a more story-driven Sonic racer failed to live up to either category and bombed. 

A football, (aka the “Hand Egg”) lands at the center of the field. Ready? Wacky characters and special moves ahoy! Take your game to dozens of SEGA landmarks, and complete missions and quests for glory! Collect over 2000 medals! 

Draco Centauros is one of the possible characters you can control, along with Sonic and many more. In addition, the story mode also features generics to fill out each team. 

Example stages:

* Seaside Hill: Of course. Beware of Kao rolling onto the field!

1) Sonic Nightmare: Sonic meets Psychonauts

Spoiler

New villain is Phobos Somnia (means: fear of sleep) a creepy jester-like demon that rhymes and invades dreams. Every level would be dream of one of Sonic friends. Might add references to Shuffle and Nights.

Cream: Tutorial: cheerful level filled with giant chao (Chesse being the largest, t-rex size). Very chill level, till Phobos shows up at the end and corrupts Cheese into first boss: Dark Chao. From this point onward all dreams are nightmares

Tails: location is very unspecified. Laboratory perhaps? Enemies are strange too, blue-ish bullies who make fun of funny looking nerd. We find Tails at the end of the level, hiding in some robot suit from his oppressors. But when he sees Sonic trashing the bullies, he realized he doesn't have to be afraid. They can be hurt. He can hurt them. Sike! It was not Tails, it's Eggman, who attacks Sonic. Little trick on Phobos side.

Shadow: Destroyed city, armies of soldiers ordered to "kill hedgehog on site". Boss is Shadow, mutated into Dark Arm looking monster as he fears of becoming evil

Tails (for real): Fear of falling. Fear of failure. Stage is armada of planes, plummeting down to earth and Tails is at the front, falling with them. You need to jump from plane to plane and reach to him. Of course after reaching him Sonic has no way of actually stopping the fall, but shows zero concern, because he knows his best friend won't let him down. Tails gets a grip and starts flying, saving Sonic and himself in the process.

And so on. I haven't figured anything as cool for other characters. I guess Blaze  could loose control over her powers and burn the world?
Also each level would have something that doesn't fit the theme (like teddy bears in Shadow stage) and final stage is Phobos backstory, and all those teddy bears would be related to his origins

2) Sonic Vs Eggman: Let's bring back Hero and Dark campaigns

Spoiler

This idea lives or dies on one factor: Can we make playing Eggmobile more fun than in SA2

Story is paper thin: Eggman and Metal break into Tails lab, make fun of his technical skills and steal something he needs for his master plan. Sonic shows up to late, so he and Tails will chase after Eggman. But Tail's ego is wounded, so he takes Tornado from SA2 to show Eggman how good his tech is.

And so game has 2 campaigns with 2 play styles: Sonic/Metal stages (maaaybe Sonic & Tails, like in Sonic 4. After all Metal can fly too) and Eggman/Tails stages.

But here's the fun part: Eggman story is about fighting Sonic friends and Sonic is chasing after him, fighting other villains/
1: Some grass stage. Eggman lost control over his badniks (Tails virus?) so they attack both sides. Boss for Metal: Amy. Her piko hammer easily deflect spin attack, so it's all about breaking her balance. Afterwards Orbot and Cubot pilot Eggman's giant robot and hold her hostage for Sonic story to rescue

2-3 GUN facilities, boss battles against Omega (Eggman) and Shadow (Metal). While leaving they let Zeti out of the prison, so they can take over and be hindrance for Sonic story

4: Angel Island, Eggman Vs Knuckles. He also trick Babylon Rouges into thinking he and Sonic are looking for treasure here, so Jet can be boss battle for Sonic. Using things he stole so far and Master Emerald, Eggman opens portal to...

5-6: Sol Dimension, where he fights Silver (Metal) and final boss of the story: Blaze, holding Jeweled Scepter. (Eggman). Sonic story has fight against Whiskers and Nega, who allied himself with Eggman, but they both play "Let's see who back stabs fist" game). (possibly I would replace Whiskers with Jet and Angel Island boss would be mind-controlled Chaos).

7 Final story: first we play as Eggman in super robot and beat Super Sonic, then as Sonic  (with tech support from Tails, closing his little arc) we beat Eggman's machine, the end.

3) Blaze: Flame of Seven Seas

How I would make game about Blaze the Cat

Spoiler

Gameplay
Sticking to Sonic style would be detrimental to character. Just like Luigi Mansion, it's better to focus on character strength. So my suggestion would be "Zelda: Wind Waker" with focus on "fire vs water" mechanics. Blaze fire is her main weapon, but she lives in archipelago. Big part of the challenge would be avoiding water, which could be also part of puzzles. Imagine boiling water to make a cloud that Blaze can bounce off, stuff like this. Also less new items and more acrobatic platforming and flame-combat.
Blaze could have her own ship to travel with customization. Maybe she would power it with her own flames (or at least fire cannons) and perhaps she could have own Crew that you can recruit on her adventures.

Story
I would keep Marine as one of early NPCs, but not someone who sticks with you for whole adventure. Or like I suggested with a Crew, give player a choice of keeping her around and listening to her adorable rambling or deciding you leave her on first island and never look back. Pirates will work as nice goons to fight.
World building I would establish Sol Dimension as world of rules. Sonic is all about freedom, Blaze's world is about strict rules, traditions and purity. While Sonic animals live among each other, this world believes in segregation, cats believing they better than foxes, etc (with Koalas and Marine being rebels to this world of rules). It would fit nicely with how Blaze started and where her arc is taking her. She would be "Avatar (Aang/Korra)" trying to unite people and fight old ways (again, Crew mechanic would serve this purpose greatly).
Main villain should NOT be Eggman Nega. We need a enemy who's foil to Blaze and Nega doesn't do that. How about her old teacher, disappointed that she abandoned a "proper way of thinking"? Or a demons who feed on bad emotions, liking a bad state her world is but also feeding on Blaze hot-headness. Maybe a rival who beliefs Blaze shouldn't be Guardian of Sol Emeralds. Or sassy thief who constantly makes fun of her seriousness. Either way, the person doesn't have to have a direct connection to Blaze (Sonic/Eggman had zero before Sonic 1), but he must play-off her in interesting way.

Connections to Sonic World
Overall game wouldn't need them, but simplest ideas
- Big can be a gag. We don't even need to explain how he got here, that's part of the fun. Same for Sticks.

- Rouge could steal jewelry as side mission or side-mechanic. It would be nice change for her, be a thief again.
- Sonic, Knuckles, Silver or Shadow could eventually be part of side-mission or hidden boss, something like that. Nothing to big, it's Blaze's game.
- Chaos. Of all Sonic's lore, a water monster with connection to magical stones would be a best choice. He could just be a boss fight (someone is controlling him with magical item or something), but there are more creative ways.
- If we really want ties to Sonic to be strong (which is absolutely optional) some characters could bee a Crew Members. Team Rose, Rouge, Babylon Rouges, Sticks and with some imagination Omega and Chaos could be fun additions to a Crew, without stealing too much spotlight from Blaze. (like Omega is extra cannon that you don't need to power yourself. Cream keeps the morals of the Crew up, making your boat faster. Sticks paranoia and 4wall-breaks makes her a perfect person to foretop and Marine can fix engines, making your boat stronger, etc).

4) Knuckles Game aka "How to steal Breath of the Wild"

Spoiler

It's shameless, but works perfectly. Knuckles already can glide and climb and he would work nicely in more combat based game.

"Great Plateu" would be Angel Island. Little twist: afterwards finishing it, Angel Island would turn into Hub, where friendly NPC live and you can teleport to, so you can later glide down for quick travel. Maybe as climax Villain would take it over and your Tutorial Stage suddenly becomes the most dangerous area in the game.

Also bonus idea : You can either solve puzzle OOOOR you can keep punching into Magical Barrier till it explodes. That way your health is forever reduced by one "heart". Making combat harder, but puzzles skip-able (good for speed runs, challenge runs, repeat play through, players who got stuck AND it's in-character for Knuckles who sometimes solves problems with brute strength).

Story? I haven't figure out yet, but finally he treasure hunts. Probably something about Ancient Echidna treasure.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

One of the things I loved about mania the most was the new zones. So I'd like a mania style game with more of a emphasize on new zones.

Maybe like "Sonic The Hedgehog Returns" It would take place after the events of mania. It would also be a classic style game.

I'd also like to see a full 3D game in the classic sonic universe. Not in with the camera on an angle like in Sonic 3D Blast.

On 12/18/2019 at 4:30 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

2) Sonic Vs Eggman: Let's bring back Hero and Dark campaigns

Hide contents

This idea lives or dies on one factor: Can we make playing Eggmobile more fun than in SA2

Story is paper thin: Eggman and Metal break into Tails lab, make fun of his technical skills and steal something he needs for his master plan. Sonic shows up to late, so he and Tails will chase after Eggman. But Tail's ego is wounded, so he takes Tornado from SA2 to show Eggman how good his tech is.

And so game has 2 campaigns with 2 play styles: Sonic/Metal stages (maaaybe Sonic & Tails, like in Sonic 4. After all Metal can fly too) and Eggman/Tails stages.

But here's the fun part: Eggman story is about fighting Sonic friends and Sonic is chasing after him, fighting other villains/
1: Some grass stage. Eggman lost control over his badniks (Tails virus?) so they attack both sides. Boss for Metal: Amy. Her piko hammer easily deflect spin attack, so it's all about breaking her balance. Afterwards Orbot and Cubot pilot Eggman's giant robot and hold her hostage for Sonic story to rescue

2-3 GUN facilities, boss battles against Omega (Eggman) and Shadow (Metal). While leaving they let Zeti out of the prison, so they can take over and be hindrance for Sonic story

4: Angel Island, Eggman Vs Knuckles. He also trick Babylon Rouges into thinking he and Sonic are looking for treasure here, so Jet can be boss battle for Sonic. Using things he stole so far and Master Emerald, Eggman opens portal to...

5-6: Sol Dimension, where he fights Silver (Metal) and final boss of the story: Blaze, holding Jeweled Scepter. (Eggman). Sonic story has fight against Whiskers and Nega, who allied himself with Eggman, but they both play "Let's see who back stabs fist" game). (eventually I would replace Whiskers with Jet and Angel Island boss would be mind-controlled Chaos).

7 Final story: first we play as Eggman in super robot and beat Super Sonic, then as Sonic  (with tech support from Tails, closing his little arc) we beat Eggman's machine, the end.

I like how this manages to rope in the Rogues Gallery by happenstance. 

I mainly want Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Generations.

Basically it’s Sonic Generations-like game but you go through the ages of SEGA!

You start out in an intro-style GHZ (much like how AIZ was an intro stage in Mania Plus) and then you're warped by SEGA’s Past.

Zones.

Altered Beast Zone

Fantasy Zone Zone

Alex Kid Zone

Puyo Puyo Zone

Shinobi Zone

Golden Axe Zone

Streets of Rage Zone

Space Harrier Zone

Phantasy Star Zone

The House of the Dead Zone

Nights Zone

Jet Set Zone

(Would love Vectorman Zone but In going with the big big ones)

As for gameplay, you’d start out with Classic Sonic gameplay (Run, Jump, Spindash, maybe dropdash too) and for every Zone you can get an upgrade, Adventure style. Then ya the end you can mix and match abilities to customize Sonic to how you like to play best.

I’m neutral on wether it’s 2D or 3D tbh. I would love this concept to be a reality.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh,turns out I was right--doy!

On 7/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, DabigRG said:

Sonic Heroes: Hectic Battle

When the Zeti return to strike havoc across Sonic's World, he and his friends team up to drive the Deadly Six off and put a stop to their terror.

Playable Characters include Sonic, Tails, Amy, Cream, Knuckles, and Rouge/Omega. 

Locations include Never Lake, Angel Island, Leaf Forest, Metropolitan Highway, a creepy cave, a hexagonal plateau, and more.

One more idea: Sonic Corruption

How I would try to balance story, characters and reuse of stages. Big focus on story.

Spoiler

Location: Festival based on some old Civilization that lived here (place holder name: Surgians. Dead, but once very advanced, Fifth Great Civilization)

Story starts with race Sonic Vs Shadow Vs Silver, it's a tutorial. You learn tricks by watching other hedgehogs, plus you only win by mastering the basics.
Then Eggman attacks, he steals Surge Cup, as it is a key to great powers left by Surgians. Hedgehogs split to take him down and adventure starts. It's Sonic Vs Eggman, very straightforward, almost Classic in style. But Eggman finds a vault containing dangerous creature known as "Corruption". He wants to open it, but Orbot has 17 reminders installed into him to not unleash another unstable monster blindly (balance  between Eggman learning from mistakes and still almost being as inpatient as ever). So instead Eggman slowly examines creature, trying to find a way to control it. Meanwhile he sends Metal Sonic to slow Sonic down. Metal fails miserably and gets yelled by Eggman and mocked by Sonic. Furious he opens the vault and comibines with power inside, becoming Metal Corruption. (actual Corruption is electric being that can power up and control machinery). Shadow and Silver show up and with their help Sonic beats it.

THE END.... or is it? Story ends with Corruption leaving Metal's body. Chapter 2 unlocks

Story starts in familiar place, but looks completely destroyed, with Shadow running away from something, while Rouge talks to him through radio. He reaches the camouflaged bunker and hides in it, shaken. He was running from Corrupted badniks, lead by Omega Corruption. Robots pass his hide out unaware. Shadow walks to computer that turns out has same voice as Rouge. Whaaa?
Computer picks up a weird reading and Shadow goes check it, finding very confused Silver. Shadow explains what's going on:
Sonic beat Metal Corruption, but actual Corruption (Pure Corruption) could walk on it's own and was unbeatable. Silver actually disappeared during that fight. Corruption won. Story doesn't go into details, but implication is that Shadow is only one left and going through major Survival Guild, not helped by Omega being main host for Corruption. Other visible survivors are Chao, now all turned into Dark Chao  (maybe with Chaos still protecting them. Perhaps he has a bow, implying that Cheese mutated into new Chaos).
Either way Silver explain why he left: someone was messing with time and this future should never exist. He left to fix it, but somehow ended here. He suspects that there is "Time Anchor" in this time, a machine that forces time travelers to be stuck here. Shadow is kinda broken after everything what happened, so Silver goes solo. After he fails and gets captured, Shadow gets his act together, breaks into Omega's base and fight him. Story ends with Shadow destroying Time Anchor and Omega, he then slows Pure Corruption, letting Silver escape and fix past. Chapter 3 opens

Silver ends in times of Surge. He befriends a scientist (placeholder name: Fulcrum) and learns  that strange newcomer came and intrigued Surgians with his knowledge. That man is Eggman Nega, who came to this time to combine his futuristic technology with Surgians to created ultimate monster. Silver with help of Fulcrum goes on a adventure to stop Nega (while seeing all the cool stuff about Surgians world).  Sadly he is too late, Nega created Corruption and with time travel gave it ultimate host: Gizoid Corruption. Silver manages to win by driving Corruption from Emerl and pushing it into the vault. He saved the "past", but he know that "present" is still doomed and he changed nothing. But Fulcrum disagrees: without him Surgians would probably contain Corruption on their own, but with great losses in live. And that can change a lot.

Final Chapter

We're back to present, Pure Corrutpion is free and seems unbeatable. But then Sonic finds message from Fulcrum. He and his people build weapon that can stop Corruption, but it lacks one component: incredible speed. So final battle is using that weapon with Sonic and destroying Pure Corruption once and for all. END

There is room for more story touches, but that would be the main arc. It's large, without being too convoluted, and those who demand 'simplicity' from Sonic can end on chapter 1.
Also all 3 stories would go through same stages, but in different time. That way programmers have easier job, while keeping some novelty. Plus, we can have all sorts of time-travel ideas. For example: There is empty secret room in Sonic/Shadow stories. But as Silver you can open a drain, which will sloooooooooowly fill room with rings, chocolate or something. So you replay as Sonic and now it's filled with goodies. Then you try as Shadow and you find optional Boss Battle, against bad guy who powered himself with all those goodies.

Sonic Forces IF:

Pieces of the Little Planet have fallen onto the Earth. Sonic accidentally uses one, and is warped back to when Classic Sonic destroyed it. Now he must work AGAINST Classic, to save Little Planet, which is easier said than done... given Classic Eggman has returned! Using time warps, he creates an army of Zeti, and uses it to discover the Mega Drive Nexus, a counterpart to the Genesis Nexus. Prepare to turn this all against him, to save Little Planet and billions of lives.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an idea for a new Sonic the Hedgehog Game for the Microsoft XBox One, Sony PS4, Nintendo Switch, & Microsoft Windows through Steam and that is a Sonic the Hedgehog game that is kind of like Nintendo’s Super Mario Maker or Super Mario Maker 2 where you can design your own levels and play and share them I kind of wish that Sega could or would eventually release a game like that for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise

I don't think that there will be anything like that from the official side soon. But you should check out Sonic Studio, it's pc only though and still in Development.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still surprised thay SEGA haven't ripped off Super Smash Bros. and made a new Sonic fighting game; I'd quite like to see that, to be honest, and it's make a change from all the racing games.

Other than that, yeah, we need a sequel to Sonic Mania and a 3D, Boost-oriented game that follows the Adventure formula.