Awoo.

Star Wars fans have it as bad as Sonic fans

StarWarsSonic

I love Sonic and Star Wars and always notice people saying the Sonic franchise has plenty of low points (O6, Shadow, Boom, the upcoming movie) but frankly the Star Wars franchise has just as many low points as Sonic has

Episode 1 : Dreadful... as soon as Jar Jar appeared Star Wars became a laughing stock, a total embarrassment.

Episode 2: Awful but slightly better than Episode 1 in the fact there was hardly any Jar Jar. Although Anakin’s awful romantic dialogue with Padme nearly made me want to vomit. The script seemed to be written by a 5 year old.

Episode 3: This one was okay.

Episode 7: what a disappointment.. Now I’m not one of these people that call Rey a Mary Sue or anything. My problem is I find the characters of Rey and Finn to just be... boring and fairly uninteresting. Nothing about them stands out to me. Kylo Ren was just a huge crybaby throwing temper tantrums and they killed off Han Solo. 

Episode 8: Dreadful... I’m not surprised so many people hate this film. I can’t find anything redeeming about it. No wonder Mark Hamill was so negative about the portrayal of Luke on social media.

I hope like how Sonic occasionally gets redeemed with a good game like Sonic Generations or Sonic Mania that Star Wars gets redeemed with Episode 9.

Growing up I loved the original Star Wars Trilogy and the Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3& Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 1&2.

painful sometimes to see how much these franchises have dropped in quality.

I do feel the Sonic Movie will really damage the franchise though. Let’s face it, Sonic is a laughing stock in the gaming community and he will be in the movie community too.

i feel the damage to the Sonic brand will be worse than with other bad movies based on games like Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed, Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat etc because those are all still popular franchises that often get well reviewed by the gaming press so they are not laughing stocks like Sonic is.

Sonic self-flagellation topic! *takes a shot*   Been a while

Let's start with the most obvious questions:
Did you started that topic just to complain about star wars movies you don't like? Because I know for a fact that Ren trilogy is not universally panned, so it's seems like you're looking for excuse to draw attention to your complains.

And let me ask this: is Star Wars fandom a favorite bunching bag of the internet? Is sequel trilogy repeats mistakes of prequels, proving that franchise will never learn? Does Star Wars goes through serious identity crisis?

No? Then I guess Sonic has a little worse. I won't pretend like we're the only ones with the problems and arguably we're still more lucky that some (say Star Fox), but I fail to see what comparing us to Star Wars can teach us.

• Thumbs Up 3

Different fandoms have different issues. Star Wars does indeed have an identity crisis, in a reality where Ben Skywalker was replaced by Ben Solo. Etc.

Last Jedi was boring. Forces Awakens was a Happy Days reunion special. The main trio (Rey, Finn, Poe) are bland and soulless leads in these films. Snoke was a wasted villain. 

Uh, What does this have to do with Sonic?

@Myst aside from the surplus of desperate nostalgia pandering to the vintage section of their fanbases, not much.

I don't really think that the Star Wars franchise is even in the same ballpark as Sonic; even at its lowest ebb, the Star Wars prequels made a ridiculous amount of money and while their stories may have been desparately mediocre, they still managed to effectively world build and allow for a large amount of far better spin off material to be created, keeping audience interest. The Sequel trilogy meanwhile has been extremely successful in comparison both commercially and critically; even the more controversial The Last Jedi was only so mainly among Star Wars fans who disagreed with Luke Skywalker's character development.

Despite all of this, Star Wars has never had a low like Sonic '06 - the majority of Sonic's titles since 1998 have been ok to awful (with the exception of Mania and possibly Generations). For Star Wars meanwhile, even Solo, the one film that wasn't a huge commercial success, was still fairly decent; for Sonic fans, the next game being somewhat ok would be considered a huge step up compared to what we've had from Sonic Team historically.

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh, Good more whining about The Last Jedi. Because I don't see that every fucking day. :rolleyes:

Now TBF I've not seen TLJ but I'm also just...so tired of hearing about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic fans and Star Wars fans are similar to me in that they hang around a franchise that they seem to think is mostly shit, focus on the negative aspects all the time, and act like they're somehow victims at the end of it all instead of people who just like complaining.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Sonic fans and Star Wars fans are similar to me in that they hang around a franchise that they seem to think is mostly shit, focus on the negative aspects all the time, and act like they're somehow victims at the end of it all instead of people who just like complaining.

There is a mentality of: "I liked the product you gave me. Stop interacting with it. Stop messing with it. Stop filling in the blanks on unanswered questions, because you're getting those answers wrong. You do not understand your product as well as your fans do, and now you are breaking it."

See also: Harry Potter fans vs. J.K. Rowling in modern times. Less prominent example: Warcraft fans.

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

I was going to say. XD

Both fandoms really seem to hate the thing they claim to love.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with this. Saying Star Wars fans have it as bad as Sonic fans is like saying L.A. can get as cold as Chicago in the winter. Yes, Star Wars has had its fair share of blunders over the years but for the most part, outside of its fanbase, it's still looked on fondly today. Hell, it's a pop-culture icon that almost consistently gets more praise than hate. Sonic, on the other hand, is the butt of every joke in the gaming industry (and probably soon to be in a similar situation in the movie industry). At this point, half of Sonic's output has been looked down upon. The closest Star Wars comes to that are the prequels and even those have their fans (hell it spawned an entire new generation of fans such as myself). They also happened almost two decades ago at this point so, for the most part, they're out of the public eye. On the other hand, Sonic seems to stay in the spotlight with shitty decisions on a yearly bases.

I get that a lot of Star Wars fans are feeling down atm and they have reason to feel that way. Though, at the end of the day, y'all are still getting well made content constantly. Between the shows, movies, and what not they're all, at the very least, well put together and have actual effort put behind them. If a bad project props up, it's usually drowned with two other decent ones in the same period. That's a hell of a lot more than what Sonic usually sees nowadays.

Like really, I know I'm going to step on some toes here, but TLJ wasn't bad. It made a number of controversial decisions in its narrative but calling it "the worst movie ever made" or some other bs I constantly see hovering around whenever it's brought up really leads me to believe that such people believing that haven't actually seen that many films. I get that you might not like the direction it took with certain characters and scenes (trust me, look at half the post I make in the MLP topic and you'll clearly see I'm a frequent flyer on that front), but to call the series doomed or to even attempt to put it in the same hole that the Sonic franchise is in just seems... well past dramatic to me.

A few missteps every so often does not equate to decades of constantly questionable to downright shit output imo. Plus, truth be told, I say this all with the mindset that I don't even think the Sonic series is all that doomed so take that as you will. Hell, at least we still get content.

• Thumbs Up 9

Star Wars fans are actually much worse than Sonic fans, far more misogynistic and racist.

Mind you, most 'gamers' are like that, so who knows, Sonic could one day head down that route. I remember some fans were initially really angry that Amy would be "strong and capable" in Boom. 

They initially got over it though, if it were the Star Wars fanbase they would be crying about how Jasmine killed Sonic with SJW feminazism or some other conspiracy theory nonsense.

3 hours ago, Plasme said:

Star Wars fans are actually much worse than Sonic fans, far more misogynistic and racist.

Mind you, most 'gamers' are like that, so who knows, Sonic could one day head down that route. I remember some fans were initially really angry that Amy would be "strong and capable" in Boom. 

I've seen people call her a parody of Feminism and at least one person has tweeted at me calling her a "Feminazi" so...it's a bit of a slippery slope TBH.

Yeah, we Star Wars fans have it terrible. Three great movies and the best Star Wars movie of all time all coming within a three-year span. Just horrible. Then there's the two great children's TV shows and another showing more promise than they did in their first seasons. And don't remind me of the amazing looking Mandalorian!

Let's also not forget about the mostly decent comics and novels. Unfortunately, some of them are actually very good!

Thankfully, EA has been knocking it out of the park, with their content derived Battlefront and controversial Battlefront 2, with its initial micro-transactions and mediocre campaign and their cancellation of Visceral's game. Sadly, I'm worried Jedi Fallen Order will be a great game, based on Respawn's pedigree!

Boy, does it suck being a Star Was fan in 2019!

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

Yeah, we Star Wars fans have it terrible. Three great movies and the best Star Wars movie of all time all coming within a three-year span. Just horrible. Then there's the two great children's TV shows and another showing more promise than they did in their first seasons. And don't remind me of the amazing looking Mandalorian!

Let's also not forget about the mostly decent comics and novels. Unfortunately, some of them are actually very good!

Thankfully, EA has been knocking it out of the park, with their content derived Battlefront and controversial Battlefront 2, with its initial micro-transactions and mediocre campaign and their cancellation of Visceral's game. Sadly, I'm worried Jedi Fallen Order will be a great game, based on Respawn's pedigree!

"The best Star Wars movie of all time."

Considering there are more than three years between 1977, 1980, and 1983, I have to assume you don't consider the best Star Wars movie of all time to be one of the original trilogy films.

That's like... are there any Sonic fans who say that the best Sonic game of all time has com out within the last three years? Yes, even counting Sonic Mania? :(

43 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

"The best Star Wars movie of all time."

Considering there are more than three years between 1977, 1980, and 1983, I have to assume you don't consider the best Star Wars movie of all time to be one of the original trilogy films.

That's like... are there any Sonic fans who say that the best Sonic game of all time has com out within the last three years? Yes, even counting Sonic Mania? :(

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie, so obviously I was talking about The Last Jedi!

And of course, there are Sonic fans who feel the best Sonic game came out within the last 3 years.

43 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie, so obviously I was talking about The Last Jedi!

And of course, there are Sonic fans who feel the best Sonic game came out within the last 3 years.

Well, we all have different tastes. I heard someone on another forum declare excitedly that the poor quality/worldbuilding of current Star Wars has vindicated the prequel trilogy!

With Sonic fans, haven't the years made us more used to different opinions? We know some fans will prefer 2D Genesis, some long for a Dreamcast style, etc. We are less likely to be shocked when someone declares their favorite Sonic game is way different than our own.

8 hours ago, Marcello said:

Yeah but this series that was about fighting a fascist dictatorship has become about fighting a fascist dictatorship. And also now heavily feature women and non-White characters! Damn "SJW's"!

/I sincerely hope my sarcasm is obvious and that it's clear I don't believe those things.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah but this series that was about fighting a fascist dictatorship has become about fighting a fascist dictatorship. And also now heavily feature women and non-White characters! Damn "SJW's"!

/I sincerely hope my sarcasm is obvious and that it's clear I don't believe those things.

I like you as a Sonic fan.

As a Star Wars fan, I find you a strange exotic creature from a vantage point which I can't even begin to understand. Your existence makes me question whether I even know what Star Wars fandom even is anymore.

. . .

See? Sonic's fans are doing fine!

23 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I've seen people call her a parody of Feminism and at least one person has tweeted at me calling her a "Feminazi" so...it's a bit of a slippery slope TBH.

Probably cause she actually was for one joke.

But that's very unlikely to be the cause, given this was both in Season 2 and also, come on.

19 hours ago, Marcello said:

11 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah, Seriously

I think that franchises that have been around for quite some decades will have certain entries that cause division within their respective fanbases.

For example, I'm a Macross/Gundam fan and can tell how both franchises have their ups and downs as well as which series are held in high regard vs the ones that are not as warm welcomed.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think Star Wars has gotten to the point where every journalists now throw their hands up in the air and pull the Star Wars was never good" card. There may be some, but for the most part it comes down to the first two or three movies being the only good ones.