Awoo.

Sonic Racing Rumors - "It's happening, FOOLS!"

Polkadi~☆

Toy shows, accidental slips of the tongue, and resident SSMB leaker Larry... It's all adding up to the possibility of a new SEGA racing game, completely under the theme of Sonic the Hedgehog.

And it looks to be developed by Sumo Digital, who did previous SEGA kart racers like Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, and the inventive and fun Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

It's just rumours, but strangely creditable rumours. We just may, only just may, see something about it at SXSW...

This thread was only made to be a central discussion for these rumours instead of being lost in another topic.

So tell us, what do you think about these rumours? And, with a popular discussion about this, what do you think of the Sonic focus as compared to Sumo's previous SEGA focus?

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, if it plays well - and if Sumo is actually working on it then, that goes without saying - I'd be fine with it.

Granted, the SEGA stuff was fucking great in Transformed and ASR, and hearing the possibility of the game existing and possibly being only Sonic kind of sucks imo, there's still more cool stuff to take out of SEGA's catalogue, both obscure and popular, and it would've been great to see some Atlus stuff added in too.

If this will be Sonic only, then I hope it won't overall replace the Sega All-Star/Superstars stuff and that there'd still be a new one, like another racer  or maybe even a fighter.

• Thumbs Up 1

A Sonic-only kart racer would be lame as hell. With the exception of Sonic Drift, all of Sonic's racing games, good or bad, have tried doing their own unique thing to set them apart from other racers, from the on-foot platforming of Sonic R and Rivals to hoverboard racing in Riders. The kart formula suited the crossover nature of the All-Stars games pretty well, but I don't think it can sustain a Sonic-only cast and maintain the appeal of the previous two games anymore than a Super Smash Bros. featuring only Fire Emblem Mario characters could. If this is true, I couldn't care less.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

I've been in need of another Sumo racer since ASRT! I can see other SEGA IP's will probably be promotional or paid for DLC if this is Sonic exclusive. I'd love for Infinite to be playable in his...Phantom Jackal kart? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Strictly as a kart racer, I'm sure it'll be phenomenal. Sumo Digital are fantastic developers and I have faith that this will end up being a great game and will be well received. 

However as a fan of SEGA, I have to admit that the reality that this won't feature any other IPs from SEGA's past is very disappointing and kills a huge chunk of the hype for me. This was the closest thing to a SEGA answer to Smash Bros we ever got. I'm hoping this isn't the end of crossovers for SEGA, but I'm not especially hopeful right now.

• Thumbs Up 6

If this game does end up being Sonic only, I hope that it's not straight-up kart racing. Sonic is a runner, and his platforming games are set up like racers in many aspects. If it's just a Sonic game, putting everyone in vehicles of sorts feels unnecessary, but this issue is easily handwaved in a cross over. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm a bit hyped about this, not so much, just a little... I hope it's real!

I feel sorry for people who wanted the Sega All Stars content in the game, though I never had any attachment to any other Sega character and I wouldn't miss them too much... maybe Opa-Opa, it was awesome XD but it was already missing in Transformed right?

Now I'm concerned... I hope all the characters who appeared in Generations will be in as playable, I don't want the recent trend to exclude Cream from the cast to continue, as much as I don't want stuff like Classic Sonic, Sticks, Zavok and Infinite replacing the more traditional characters (I'd like Big to come back as well, he was great in the first S&SASR game).

• Thumbs Up 1

It's another kart racer with Sumo Digital at the helm...so that is already something I'd look forward to and I'm sure I'll enjoy it at the end of the day. 

With no SEGA-centric fanservice to go along with it does kill some of my hype too. Sumo Digital did a fantastic job cramming as much SEGA love as they could into ASRT. hell, I'm pretty sure that thanks to that game it opened up new eyes to those IPs. I know it did for me. There's so much more SD could add after Transformed that certainly deserves their due. Virtua Fighter, Puyo Puyo Yakuza, Phantasy Star (Online), Streets of Rage to just name a few.  

At least what I'm envisioning is that they don't play to the Green Hills and Seaside Hills yet AGAIN and provide more variety in what tracks and whatnot...and as a small pipedream maybe do what RIders and ZG did have unlockable non-Sonic racers to play as. It's obviously no where the same level of Sumo's previous two kart offerings here but I'll even take that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like a step backwards but not a big deal breaker for me. On one hand at least Sumo can stop using seaside hill and actually use unique levels from other sonic games. On the other hand I'm a bit concerned about the roster since SEGA only uses like what 13 characters so it might be a bit limited. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm excited to see it. Ideally, it'll have some surprises to generate intetest, like at least one unexpected character or stage or something. If it is a kart racer, which I wouldn't mind at all, I hope they make the courses more varied and casual friendly in difficulty like the Mario Kart games have. Also, switch out the generic items for Sonic staples like rings, spikes, etc. Make it feel more engrossed in Sonic's world.

Eager to learn more!

• Thumbs Up 3

I would be all for it. Sonic Riders was average at best imo until we got Free Riders which really hurt it so I don't really see a 4th title coming and with that in mind hey maybe they'll have Team Babylon move on over to this game's character roster. 

Also they could still pull some Sega characters into the game like in Sonic Riders with how NiGHTS was playable among others.

It really makes me so sad that so many you guys really, really want to destroy a very special game, one of it's kind, just to have another generic Sonic game. And no, putting in hand full of other characters like in the first two Riders isn't enough. Fuck, the third one didn't even had one single Sega character! It is not even sure if the Sega fans will get a bit of fanservice. 

And for what? Only so we can play as Sonic's shitty friends for the 100 of time? Thanks a lot Sanic fans!   

1 minute ago, Swing said:

It really makes me so sad that so many you guys really, really want to destroy a very special game, one of it's kind, just to have another generic Sonic game. And no, putting in hand full of other characters like in the first two Riders isn't enough. Fuck, the third one didn't even had one single Sega character! It is not even sure if the Sega fans will get a bit of fanservice. 

And for what? Only so we can play as Sonic's shitty friends for the 100 of time? Thanks a lot Sanic fans!   

Insert poor 'when was the last time we played as Sonic's shitty friends/Solo Sonica' joke here

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 2
  • Fist Bump 1

What about those mobile games? You can play as over 12 different shitty friend characters in them? We had two of them in the last couple of years!

Honestly, I’m quite excited if this is true. Sumo can obviously make a good racing game, and if it’s Sonic characters only, then that’s fine with me! Maybe this’ll be a chance for some forgotten characters to come back. @Swing I thought most fans wanted Sonic’s friends to be playable again?

• Thumbs Up 3

@Swing Knock it off with the instigating, melodramatic bullshit you've been doing between this and the SXSW thread. We get it, you're disappointed if this rumor turns out to be true it probably won't have Sega characters. It's lame, but carrying on like you have been isn't acceptable anymore. I suggest you go take a break, but either way I'm striking you for continuing this

20 minutes ago, Swing said:

7 minutes ago, Swing said:

What about those mobile games? You can play as over 12 different shitty friend characters in them? We had two of them in the last couple of years!

when you were asked not that long ago to knock it off.

Stop.

Oh, and before anyone gets any ideas, I don't want to see proponents of a Sonic-only racer bragging or talking down (because that was already a mess we've had to clean up int he SXSW thread), because y'all will get smacked too. As always, discussion is to be civil.

I don't really mind that the game is Sonic centered all that much to be honest, but I see why others are indifferent. Plus, the other characters can be playable again.

• Thumbs Up 4

I already made my stance on this and that I’m A-OK and actually foward to this due to being since 2010 having a full console Sonic spin-off, I understand the disappointment of not having the other SEGA charcaters and I won’t tell anyone to be excited, but it’s really nothing to panic about, many people will still have a blast racing as the Sonic cast.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Iko said:

I'm a bit hyped about this, not so much, just a little... I hope it's real!

I feel sorry for people who wanted the Sega All Stars content in the game, though I never had any attachment to any other Sega character and I wouldn't miss them too much... maybe Opa-Opa, it was awesome XD but it was already missing in Transformed right?

Now I'm concerned... I hope all the characters who appeared in Generations will be in as playable, I don't want the recent trend to exclude Cream from the cast to continue, as much as I don't want stuff like Classic Sonic, Sticks, Zavok and Infinite replacing the more traditional characters (I'd like Big to come back as well, he was great in the first S&SASR game).

I get your worries, even though I prefer Sticks and Infinite to Cream and Big, I don't think anyone will be replaced if we get to have a big roster, and the traditional characters absolutely deserve to be in. Classic Sonic... eh, he's a bit of a given.

I'm totally on the fence about it. I'm more of a Sonic fan than a wider SEGA fan (but would give anything for JSR3 or a decent Monkey Ball), so in that regard I'd be happy with Sonic only. But it's the fact that it would feel like such a regression to go from all from all of these varied and otherwise forgotten franchises to just one that's always being milked. And it's not like I dislike the SEGA IPs at all. I just don't hold the biggest affinity for them. I appreciate them, but they aren't top of my list.

At this stage, we just know too little. I'm hoping that this being a Sonic only game would be used to its advantage, by offering something different that wouldn't work for other IPs (e.g. racing on foot). But if it's literally just SEGA All Stars without the SEGA, there's no defending that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Although...the prospect of an actual competent Sonic only racer is something I've been hoping could be a possibility. And Sumo Digital are the best devs I see doing it justice. So on that end it does intrigues me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1