Awoo.

(Classic, Modern, or Boom!) What is your favourite incarnation of Sonic?

EzSonic01

Now that there are officially two timelines (three counting Boom! here) with different characters (aside the main 5 which exist in all dimensions), places, objects, etcetera, I thought it would be interesting to discuss this. You can choose one, two, or the three of them if you want:

Classic Sonic

latest?cb=20120211101419

Modern Sonic:

latest?cb=20090916180054

BOOM! Sonic

latest?cb=20140725201859&path-prefix=es

My favorite Sonic is the hybrid of Classic and Modern that everyone thought existed before Mania/Forces established them as different characters.

Classic Sonic (Sonic 1 - 3K and Mania) because:

1) Classic has had the best games and gameplay by a mile.

2) the design of classic Sonic has remained the most consistent and is all the better for it.

You know, I'm beginning to think Generations really screwed up the franchise by making Classic Sonic, a name that I don't even think was an official title prior, an actual character. That seemed like something that would have bad long-term consequences. 

Anyway, I prefer Classic's design, which I think was perfect around the Saturn era. I prefer the Gamecube years in terms of his games. If I had to choose a voice actor, it'd be Unleashed Griffith but I really just wish most of the cast went mute at this point.

39 minutes ago, McGroose said:

You know, I'm beginning to think Generations really screwed up the franchise by making Classic Sonic, a name that I don't even think was an official title prior, an actual character. That seemed like something that would have bad long-term consequences. 

Anyway, I prefer Classic's design, which I think was perfect around the Saturn era. I prefer the Gamecube years in terms of his games. If I had to choose a voice actor, it'd be Unleashed Griffith but I really just wish most of the cast went mute at this point.

"Classic Sonic" was official prior to Generations, and was in use for various merchandise and games predating it by several years. Generations crime was making Classic Sonic and entirely separate character. It should have just been a casual, meta moment which is what it seemed like until Forces came along.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

35 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

"Classic Sonic" was official prior to Generations, and was in use for various merchandise and games predating it by several years. Generations crime was making Classic Sonic and entirely separate character. It should have just been a casual, meta moment which is what it seemed like until Forces came along.

Good point, I should have said I didn't think he was an established separate character at that point.

Definitely Classic.

Boom is a weird little spinoff series that I don't hate, but it's not nearly strong enough to love. Modern has had some good moments, but it's become a complete mess, with little consistency in identity, tone, gameplay mechanics, etc, to the point that I'm not even sure what I'd be saying if I said I liked Modern Sonic at this point. Classic, though, while it hasn't had a perfect run (and Sonic Team's been doing their damnedest to ruin a good thing), it's got the best games in the series, a strong sense of identity, and more likable characters than the other two.

From a purely design stand point, I like both Classic and Modern a lot. Oshima's design, more rooted in older works such as Mickey Mouse or Felix the Cat, works in that kind of legacy brand sense. It's cute, colorful, and I think holds up well. Uekawa's design I feel is more dynamic, more action adventure based. He feels contemporary, fitting well alongside the current designs of say Mario or Zelda - more serious but not enough to lose the wonder of the original design.

I'm not fond of Boom's design honestly. I think the sports tape and smaller spikes make it look too busy, feeling more like it's out of the 90s than ironically the two that actually came from that time. I've grown used to it, and it's certainly not the worst design to come out of the Boom sub-brand, but even 3-4 years later, I still haven't particularly warmed up to it.

Gotta agree with Blueblood, I just like Sonic with no real distinction between classic or modern. Though I don't care for the Boom side of things.

As I understand it, Boom!Sonic's defined by little more than deadpan snark while trapped in a sitcom setting.

By contrast I like Sonic X, but that's an exercise in Sonic pushing against the sitcom trappings he's surrounded by. There he spends so much time on the lamb that I'd say Sonic Boom is Sonic X!Sonic's worst nightmare. Stuck on such a small island no where to go, and worse no desire to go.

Now as art styles go nothing really beats CD Sonic cutscene/OVA Sonic for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, EzSonic01 said:

Now that there are officially two timelines (three counting Boom! here) with different characters (aside the main 5 which exist in all dimensions), places, objects, etcetera, I thought it would be interesting to discuss this. You can choose one, two, or the three of them if you want:

Classic Sonic

latest?cb=20120211101419

Modern Sonic:

latest?cb=20090916180054

BOOM! Sonic

latest?cb=20140725201859&path-prefix=es

And what's your choice? :) 

Mine is classic, for looking timeless, for not talking, and for having the best and most solid gameplay so far.

15 minutes ago, molul said:

And what's your choice? :) 

Mine is classic, for looking timeless, for not talking, and for having the best and most solid gameplay so far.

Classic, mostly because he has had consistently good, quality games which were successful in both, sales and reviews, something that Modern and Boom still can't match.

1 minute ago, EzSonic01 said:

Classic, mostly because he has had consistently good, quality games which were successful in both, sales and reviews, something that Modern and Boom still can't match.

To me, the only way this franchise can be great again (and by great I mean universally respected, like Mario) is to go back to classic times, embrace the iconic nature of first Sonic design and build from there with a team made of talented people. Maybe make Modern Sonic star running games for mobile. And kill Boom Sonic already.

I mean, Modern Sonic is clearly a failure compared to Classic, in terms of scores and sales. Why not make like it never happened already? They've had like 15 years to figure out a way to make 3D Sonic a fun experience, worth the money. The experiment has failed. Now let's try to recover the mascot and make it great like it was.

33 minutes ago, molul said:

I mean, Modern Sonic is clearly a failure compared to Classic, in terms of scores and sales. Why not make like it never happened already?

Because to many, that is Sonic. Its kinda hard to get rid of something thats been around for so long. Anyways my favorite "flavor" of Sonic is classic, because it has my favorite aesthetic.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, molul said:

To me, the only way this franchise can be great again (and by great I mean universally respected, like Mario) is to go back to classic times, embrace the iconic nature of first Sonic design and build from there with a team made of talented people. Maybe make Modern Sonic star running games for mobile. And kill Boom Sonic already.

I mean, Modern Sonic is clearly a failure compared to Classic, in terms of scores and sales. Why not make like it never happened already? They've had like 15 years to figure out a way to make 3D Sonic a fun experience, worth the money. The experiment has failed. Now let's try to recover the mascot and make it great like it was.

Some of us like 3d gameplay, voice acting and characters introduced from 1998 onward.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Some of us like 3d gameplay, voice acting and characters introduced from 1998 onward.

I know, I know, and I don't mean to be disrespectful for you. My point is that Modern Sonic has failed to be taken as a quality franchise since Modern Sonic came. "Some" is "nothing" compared to "Almost every player".

If you ask someone who doesn't like playing Mario what he thinks of him, he will still say something like "But hey, Mario games are really good. I just don't enjoy them", but if you ask someone who doesn't like Sonic about Sonic games, he would easily say "I don't like their games, and most of its own fanbase doesn't either".

This is a failure for a franchise that could be much more than what it is, should many mediocre games hadn't been released, or had been postponed until they were awesome.

So globally speaking, Modern Sonic is not the right way to go. And Boom Sonic was just maximum embarassment. Then get back to what was good and evolve again from it.

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

Some of us like 3d gameplay

I dont know why this sentiment continues to exist, like you dont need modern Sonic to do 3d. The same applies to classic aswell. (Sonic advanced anbody?) 

21 minutes ago, molul said:

I know, I know, and I don't mean to be disrespectful for you. My point is that Modern Sonic has failed to be taken as a quality franchise since Modern Sonic came. "Some" is "nothing" compared to "Almost every player".

"Almost every player" is kind of what I meant by "some".

21 minutes ago, molul said:

So globally speaking, Modern Sonic is not the right way to go. And Boom Sonic was just maximum embarassment. Then get back to what was good and evolve again from it.

The only way I could accept Sonic going back to the Classic era is if he took all the things I like about Modern Sonic with him.