Awoo.

Wanted: List of Sonic The Hedgehog Games

Reala

Hello all :-)

I'm interested in playing through all the Sonic The Hedgehog games one by one. Is there anywhere with an easy to follow list of games? I've come across a few wikis, but not that has an easy one page printable version.

Thank you so much in advance. I'm also looking for the same thing for comics (i.e. a simple one page list of all the Sonic The Hedgehog Comics / spin offs)

???

What's wrong with regular wikipedia or Sonic News Network? If you want something that will fit on a single page, make photo of Wiki's navigation box on the bottom. Or just open Microsoft Office/Open Office/any other writting program/ take a pen & piece of paper, and then write them down yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm struggling to make sure that I'm not missing any games based on Wikipedia :)

For example, the following is pretty close (I think), but I'm missing Knuckles Chaotix at least, which I'd class as a Sonic Game, and was wondering if there were any others.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic CD
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Rush
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Unleashed 
Sonic 4: Episode 1 
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Sonic 4: Episode 2 
Sonic Lost World
Sonic Mania
Sonic Forces

*EDIT AFTER VISITING SONIC NEWS NETWORK*

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

???

What's wrong with regular wikipedia or Sonic News Network? If you want something that will fit on a single page, make photo of Wiki's navigation box on the bottom. Or just open Microsoft Office/Open Office/any other writting program/ take a pen & piece of paper, and then write them down yourself.

Oh, brilliant! Sonic News Network was the answer. Thank you :D Clearly wikipedia was missing a ton of games!

Game appearances
Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)
Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
Sonic Eraser
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (8-bit)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)
SegaSonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
Sonic Chaos
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic Drift
Wacky Worlds Creativity Studio
Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld
Tails and the Music Maker
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
Sonic Drift 2
Knuckles' Chaotix (Cameo)
Tails Adventure (Cameo)
Sonic Labyrinth
Sonic the Fighters
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Blast
Sonic's Schoolhouse
Sonic R
Sonic Adventure
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Pinball Party
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut
Sonic Battle
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance 3
Sega Superstars
Sonic Jump
Sonic Gems Collection
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Rush
Sonic Riders
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic Rivals
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Rush Adventure
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Sonic Rivals 2
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Sega Superstars Tennis
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic and the Black Knight
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Sonic Classic Collection
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic Colors
Sonic Generations
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal
Sonic Jump (2012)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Dash
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Sonic Jump Fever
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Sonic Runners
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Sonic Runners Adventure
Sonic Mania
Sonic Forces: Speed Battle
Sonic Forces

You're missing the definitive and most important classic collection that belongs on the shelf of every true blue fan of Sonic the Hedgehog.

339178_front.jpg

(Edit - Also this thread belongs in Green Hill Zone, and has been moved now!)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Tara said:

You're missing the definitive and most important classic collection that belongs on the shelf of every true blue fan of Sonic the Hedgehog.

339178_front.jpg

(Edit - Also this thread belongs in Green Hill Zone, and has been moved now!)

That's so awesome :D

Thanks for moving and sorry for getting the wrong place - new to this ^_^

If you just add the 8-bit games (1, 2, Chaos, Triple Trouble and Blast), as well as Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Pocket Adventure, and Shadow the Hedgehog to your initial list, you have a complete list of all the main series platformers for both home and handheld consoles.

Trying to play through literally every release will be a total nonsense undertaking, as many of those games aren't really proper Sonic games, some of the weirder sounding old ones aren't even really playable, they're obscure arcade releases that have never been properly emulated, etc.

If you're new to the series, I'd recommend sticking to the core platformer series first:

1. Sonic 1
  2. Sonic 2
  3. Sonic CD
  4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  5. (Knuckles' Chaotix)
  6. (Sonic 3D Blast)
  7. Sonic Adventure
  8. Sonic Adventure 2
  9. Sonic Heroes
  10. (Shadow the Hedgehog)
  11. Sonic 2006
  12. Sonic Unleashed (Note: 360/PS3 and Wii/PS2 versions of the game have completely different level designs and slightly different gameplay)
  13. Sonic 4
  14. Sonic Colours
  15. Sonic Generations
  16. Sonic Lost World
  17. Sonic Mania
  18. Sonic Forces

The ones in brackets are often considered spin-offs but in my opinion, gameplay-wise they play like core Sonic titles.

The core HANDHELD platformer series would be:

1. Sonic 1
  2. Sonic 2
  3. Sonic Chaos
  4. Sonic Triple Trouble
  5. Sonic Blast
  6. Sonic Pocket Adventure
  7. Sonic Advance
  8. Sonic Advance 2
  9. Sonic Advance 3
  10. Sonic Rush
  11. Sonic Rush Adventure
  12. Sonic Colours
  13. Sonic Generations
  14. Sonic Lost World

The first three games here are best played as the home console SEGA Master System version, but most lists group them with the handheld titles since they're also on Game Gear and it makes it easier to seperate them from the 16-bit games.

Of course if you're already a Sonic fan and you just want to experience every corner of the series on a deeper level, delving into the obscure stuff is gonna be the entire point, so go have at it.  This list is a little more complete than what you last posted, which is missing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (so might be missing one or two others): http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_games#List_by_Genre

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

If you just add the 8-bit games (1, 2, Chaos, Triple Trouble and Blast), as well as Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Pocket Adventure, and Shadow the Hedgehog to your initial list, you have a complete list of all the main series platformers for both home and handheld consoles.

Trying to play through literally every release will be a total nonsense undertaking, as many of those games aren't really proper Sonic games, some of the weirder sounding old ones aren't even really playable, they're obscure arcade releases that have never been properly emulated, etc.

If you're new to the series, I'd recommend sticking to the core platformer series first:

1. Sonic 1
  2. Sonic 2
  3. Sonic CD
  4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  5. (Knuckles' Chaotix)
  6. (Sonic 3D Blast)
  7. Sonic Adventure
  8. Sonic Adventure 2
  9. Sonic Heroes
  10. (Shadow the Hedgehog)
  11. Sonic 2006
  12. Sonic Unleashed
  13. Sonic 4
  14. Sonic Colours
  15. Sonic Generations
  16. Sonic Lost World
  17. Sonic Mania
  18. Sonic Forces

The ones in brackets are often considered spin-offs but in my opinion, gameplay-wise they play like core Sonic titles.

The core HANDHELD platformer series would be:

1. Sonic 1
  2. Sonic 2
  3. Sonic Chaos
  4. Sonic Triple Trouble
  5. Sonic Blast
  6. Sonic Pocket Adventure
  7. Sonic Advance
  8. Sonic Advance 2
  9. Sonic Advance 3
  10. Sonic Rush
  11. Sonic Rush Adventure
  12. Sonic Colours
  13. Sonic Generations
  14. Sonic Lost World

The first three games here are best played as the home console SEGA Master System version, but most lists group them with the handheld titles since they're also on Game Gear and it makes it easier to seperate them from the 16-bit games.

Of course if you're already a Sonic fan and you just want to experience every corner of the series on a deeper level, delving into the obscure stuff is gonna be the entire point, so go have at it.  This list is a little more complete than what you last posted, which is missing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (so might be missing one or two others): http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_games#List_by_Genre

Hey JezMM, thank you so much for taking the time to do that :-)

I've been thinking about playing them all through so I can follow all the stories and meet all the characters (and I'm a huge Sonic fan - although more so collector than gamer to be honest as I kind of got old after Sonic Adventure (I played all of them up until then), so wanted to replay some of my favourite games and catch up on what I've missed since I stopped playing games ;) 

I thought about recording the journey for Youtube/Twitch or something, but my technology knowledge isn't that great, so maybe I'll just video me reviewing the experience once I've finished playing it through or something :D

Ah I see, if you're particularly interested in the story of the series, there ARE a few spin-off games you'd want to intermingle with the main platforming games then:

• Sonic Riders / Sonic Riders Zero Gravity:

These games feature proper story modes and introduce the Babylon Rogue characters, who are considered a significant piece of Sonic lore but don't appear in the main series.  There is a third Sonic Riders game, Sonic Free Riders, which is only playable on Xbox 360 with the Kinect.  It is generally seen as the worst game, for both gameplay and story - the story itself is totally throwaway and is entirely told through static dialogue scenes rather than properly animated cut-scenes.  You're not missing out by skipping that one at all.

• Sonic and the Secret Rings / Sonic and the Black Knight:

These are spin-off games that have unconventional Wii Motion Controls in heavy use.  Both feature Sonic whisked away to a storybook-esque land, but his adventures there ARE canon and (unlike Sonic Riders), even get a mention in Sonic Generations to solidify the fact.  The stories for both are enjoyable and fleshed-out standalone adventures, but the gameplay is VERY hit and miss (Secret Rings is very platformy, but is entirely controlled with motion stuff, making it kind of awkward - Black Knight is a little more traditional, but contains very little platforming, focusing mostly on motion-controlled combat instead).

• Sonic Battle

This is a spin-off fighting game for Game Boy Advance that is set between Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Advance 3.  It is story-heavy, and adds a lot of lore that follows on from Sonic Adventure 2 (though some of it does conflict a little with Shadow the Hedgehog).  Not being a platformer at all, this can be a tough one to get all the way through if you're not into fighting games though, it's a pretty long game.

Less important but worth consideration:

• Tails' Adventure and Tails' Sky Patrol

Spin-off games for Game Gear that (if I recall) are stated to be adventures that Tails had before he met Sonic.  None of the events in these games are ever mentioned outside of them though.

• Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, Shattered Crystal, Fire & Ice

The first of these is a total mess, the second is mediocre and the third is decent if forgettable fun.  The same is true of their storylines, but they do HAVE storylines with cut-scenes and such, and while the first two clash with each other a bit, they're considered overall canon to the Sonic Boom TV show.  At the very least, the third is definitely canon to the TV show and is an enjoyable experience.

As a final note, since I was mentioning add-ons to the main platformer series, I might as well also mention that Sonic R is probably worth your time if you're going for extras like Sonic Riders and the storybook games anyway.  It's a racing game that sort of vaguely feels like a platformer to play.  It doesn't have any story but most people enjoy it as a little side-dish to the main series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Say, while we're on the topic here, can someone PM me which Sonic games are for Gamecube only? If anyone can provide me with a complete list that'd be great. So far I have/will be getting: Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Gems Collection, Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Riders...I think that's it for Gamecube...PM me if there's more. Thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the two main arcade Sonics. 

Sonic the Fighters and SEGASonic

There's also Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car and the space one...

I know the pain of playing through every Sonic game ever released (minus a few of the LCD ones). It's a real pain,  especially all in a row.

Sonic Compilation, last Genesis Sonic game released in 1997! 

Sonic and Knuckles Collection.

Sonic Jam, and its Game.com version!

PC Sonic games!