Awoo.

Should Hyper Potions be involved with Sonic music post Mania?

KHCast

Ever since Mania, the group got a fuck ton of exposure and seemed to love working on the music. And a lot of their music is already very reminiscent of the old school music, just in a more modern style. Some of their non Mania stuff:

I personally really hope these guys weren’t just a one in done type deal, and we maybe even see them work with Sega on some of the mainline titles even.(lord knows the classic forces tracks could have used them) 

Anyone else think there’s a good shot at them staying around in some capacity?

• Thumbs Up 3

It's funky stuff. I wouldn't mind that, they show promise. That Tropical Resort remix is really nice on the ears.

As long as the next game doesn't have synth on every god forsaken music track.

coughs in phantom ruby illusions

They'd be cool to have but they have SUCH a distinct style that I feel their tracks would be out of place unless the entire soundtrack was a mishmash of wildly different styles like SA1/2/2006 etc, or it was a game with multiple characters and each character had their own musical style, like SA2 and Forces.

Of course, I'd welcome them back to provide a main theme for a Mania sequel with open arms, though I will say I feel the reason their track worked there was because it was combined with the high fidelity of the animated intro.  Having them compose in-game music alongside Tee Lopes or someone wouldn't work quite as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

9 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Having them compose in-game music alongside Tee Lopes or someone wouldn't work quite as well.

That seems to imply artists can’t alrer their styles to accommodate for the work they’re working on. Personally tracks like their rendition of tropical resort would have been perfect for  a hypothetical HD classic tropical resort in Gens. 2.5D Gens styles classic gameplay I feel wouid work well with them if straight up sprite based classic wouldn’t

31 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Having them compose in-game music alongside Tee Lopes or someone wouldn't work quite as well.

They've done video game OSTs before. Granted, only one, but they still did a video game OST. And to say that they couldn't switch up their style to accommodate for a Sonic game seems like you're narrowing them down to this one style they do. From my experience, artists tend to stick to one style, but they are capable of doing other styles (even if their fans aren't too welcoming of a different style :\).

To be honest I find their Tropical Resort and League of Legends remix to be completely within their preferred style.  I'm definitely not saying they can't be more versatile (nor do I expect them to be, they are AMAZING at what they do), but so far I'm yet to see any evidence of it.  As said, they'd be great in a Sonic game, but I can't imagine them not sticking out like a sore thumb if their compositions - in their usual style - weren't used for a specific style or context of level, consistently throughout the game etc.

Tell you what I'd love in a Mania 2 - if they composed the special stage theme.  Their style would work fantastically for that and would go hand-in-hand with the big visual changes that special stages have.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I do like some of Hyper Potions music, (Porta Vista, Checkpoint, Friends) their music is better as trailer music than the game soundtrack, though it would be interesting to see their other game remixes ( the Tropical Coast one was pretty damn good).

For trailers? Yes. For spin-offs? Yes. For remixes? Yes. For "neo-Classic" branch (if it will exist)? Sure, why not.

Not sure if I'd like for them to be involved for the mainline Modern branch games tho. As someone who heard their tracks before they even became Hyper Potions (Sushi Killer and Kevin Vilecco) on Monstercat channel, they have this distinct style that I feel like wouldn't really fit Modern's "radness" or "grandness".  Hyper Potions' music has this light-hearted and relaxing style that, while sounds great, not sure if that'd fit Modern. Unless they change their style completely, which probably won't happen, cuz then they'd lose the identity they established.

They’ve been around in some way since Fire and Ice, and have done a lot for Mania. They deserve to stay for the Classic sub-Series. Can they also put Cash Cash and Nitro Fun in there, too? 

Would the modern branch games include 2.5D classic sonic?(cause at this rate he’ll probably be back in another 3D game) I think they could have done classic Sonics music in forces honestly.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

They did a really solid performance at the Sonic 25th Anniversary Party, as well.

Overall, I think it would be a good idea to bring them back for future games (and future live performances).

Particularly since I'm positive Mania will get at least a few sequels, spiritual or literal.

Absolutely yes, I love their stuff.

I would like to see how they adapt to game music.

Can we please have some Anamanaguchi too one day? A man can dream.