Awoo.

Sonic Forces - Custom Hero can be shared, returning zones confirmed?

MudHunter

Iizuka did say there were returning zones in an interview, but changed due to Eggman's rule. But seeing Park Avenue, it will be a mix of new and old zones, hopefully more than Mania. I'm hoping for 4 old and 5 new since there are probably 9 zones like Unleashed and Generations.

Waiting for the inevitable Chemical Plant... Eh.

Interesting. I wonder if there really is some kind of system where you can share your custom character with others, and if so what exactly can you do with that?

Also yeah, it's been mentioned before there'd be other returning Zones. Really hope that only one or two at most will be ones that were already seen in Generations; as cool as Chemical Plant turned out to be in Mania I'd rather not see it in another new game this soon, y'know? Wouldn't be against some of the other returning zones in Mania showing up though, some of 'em would be really cool to see in 3D.

• Promotion 1

Ugh, I thought and hoped Green Hill would be the only returning Zone. Not Generations 2 my ass. Hopefully, they mean "iconic" in the Ubisoft sense.

Being able to share your character directly and presumably easily from the game is a good idea depending on the execution. If it's barebones, you might as well use the built in share functions of the consoles.

• Thumbs Up 3

So it really is Generations 2... Ugh. I seriously am getting tired of returning stages and nostalgia being a huge component of Sonic games. I've already done this twice, I don't wanna do it again, especially only a few months after the second time. A few callbacks here and there or maybe one or two retro stages that fit into the story's narrative in a meaningful way is fine, but please don't make it a driving force. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

17 minutes ago, Chameleon of the Spoilers said:

But seeing Park Avenue, it will be a mix of new and old zones, hopefully more than Mania. I'm hoping for 4 old and 5 new since there are probably 9 zones like Unleashed and Generations.

Aaron Webber did say that there was gonna be "plenty" of original stages at E3. I hope he means more new than old by that.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, MudHunter said:

Aaron Webber did say that there was gonna be "plenty" of original stages at E3. I hope he means more new than old by that.

Cool. Link if you can provide it?

2 minutes ago, Chameleon of the Spoilers said:

Cool. Link if you can provide it?

Around 4:20

And looks like I kinda misremembered, he didn't say plenty but "alot" of new stuffs lol

3 minutes ago, DiamondX (Trunks) said:

Hold on.

So of Mania gets old stages, that's cool.

But if Forces does that too it's bad?

When both do it it's bad but Mania's forgiven because it's done right

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, DiamondX (Trunks) said:

Hold on.

Fatigue has a lot to do with it for me. Mania came out 6 years after Generations. By that point, I'm okay with experiencing old stages in a new way again, especially when they're done as well as Mania does it. But even then, I think most people would agree that more new stages in Mania would've been preferred. 

Now, Forces is looking to do it AGAIN. I JUST finished Mania and now we're gonna go through the whole "experience classic stages" again only a few months later? I got my nostalgic fix with Mania, so I was really hoping for something NEW with Forces. This also makes the whole "this isn't Generations 2" statement even more BS than it already was. 

• Thumbs Up 9

20 minutes ago, DiamondX (Trunks) said:

Hold on.

It's really about execution for people, generally. People aren't thrilled with it in Mania but can tolerate it due to a number of factors.

I'm fine with both doing it even if I'm not a fan of the old:new Zone ratio in Mania. Returning levels are something I actually really enjoy, but it shouldn't take up most of the game unless you're going to do something like Generations where it's the entire focus (and it'd definitely be too soon for something like that again).

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, PKGaming said:

Fatigue has a lot to do with it for me. Mania came out 6 years after Generations. By that point, I'm okay with experiencing old stages in a new way again, especially when they're done as well as Mania does it. But even then, I think most people would agree that more new stages in Mania would've been preferred. 

Now, Forces is looking to do it AGAIN. I JUST finished Mania and now we're gonna go through the whole "experience classic stages" again only a few months later? I got my nostalgic fix with Mania, so I was really hoping for something NEW with Forces. This also makes the whole "this isn't Generations 2" statement even more BS than it already was. 

So if Forces was released before Mania you would've hated it on Mania?

Be honest, you wouldn't.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

Green Hill is one thing, but Chemical Plant wouldn't fit the narrative of "take the world back from Eggman/dimensional weirdness". What's to save? Chemical Plant was a horrible industrial waste to begin with. I say tear the whole thing down!

Also, Mania's whole premise was being a throwback game, as was Generations'. This game would do better to forge its own identity, you know?

• Thumbs Up 5

Hold on guys, Maybe it's not just the classic stages returning guys. There could be adventure and heroes stages for all we know as well. 

Ex: Station square, frog forest, mystic ruins, metal harbor, holaska ect.

I wouldn't mind if at least one of these made it in since they didn't get their chance to shine in generations.

Plus we got this death egg sigma stage hint that we heard about.

56 minutes ago, DiamondX (Trunks) said:

So if Forces was released before Mania you would've hated it on Mania?

Be honest, you wouldn't.

I certainly wouldn't have HATED Mania, but yes, I probably wouldn't have been nearly as accepting of it. 

And as someone else said, execution is a key factor. Since Generations and Mania are games that celebrate Sonic's history, it makes more sense for them to have returning zones as a major element. But Forces, with how it's advertised, seems like a whole new adventure for Sonic, so the returning stages seems extremely unnecessary and unneeded in my book, especially coming just months after Mania. 

And for the record, I doubt that I'll HATE Sonic Forces either. I loved Generations, so I'm sure I'll enjoy Forces in some capacity too. It's just that this news is pretty disappointing to me and I'm less excited for it. My only hope is that the returning zones are very few. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DiamondX (Trunks) said:

Hold on.

Well, we have already had a bunch back in a Modern game. Still, if they actually do something interesting with them then it could be a welcome inclusion. Judging by Green Hill though...

Um... what if we get Ice Cap Zone?

Spoiler

Seeing as how we didn't get that fan favorite stage in Sonic Mania and that would this explain its absence (of course we have a ice zone already in the game).

I mean returning zones were evident, just wishing they picked different ones. (Instead of CP in Forces, could've been some other factory level or a new one).

Pretty sure we're gonna see some from Lost World also.

2 hours ago, DiamondX (Trunks) said:

Hold on.

Have you seen 70% of my posts on Mania?

*to be read in Chandler Bing's voice*

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

3 hours ago, Diamond X said:

Hold on.

Can't speak for everyone else but my hype was deflated learning there were more old stages then new. After generations I was really ready for something new, and I really don't want to run throught old zones again for a third time.

4 hours ago, Diamond X said:

Hold on.

It was awful with Mania too.

on-topic: They'll probably be Adventure stages.

Rehashing stages is bad in both games for me, Mania has superiority in level design because the dev team is pro in that department, while Forces has better ideas and the zones don't look tame but are twisted.

Btw that new render for Eggman makes him look quite menacing.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Chameleon of the Spoilers said:

Iizuka did say there were returning zones in an interview, but changed due to Eggman's rule. But seeing Park Avenue, it will be a mix of new and old zones, hopefully more than Mania. I'm hoping for 4 old and 5 new since there are probably 9 zones like Unleashed and Generations.

Waiting for the inevitable Chemical Plant... Eh.

I bet chemical plant will be the second zone :)

Honestly though, who says they will all be classic zones? We could very well get stages from adventure, heroes, unleashed, colors, etc

• Thumbs Up 1