Awoo.

Mania Glitch Thread

Badnik Mechanic

On 15/8/2017 at 0:51 PM, Adamis said:

2lddsfp.jpg

I need one ball but there are three in front of me...?!

Sorry in advance for not reading through the whole thread (all 4 pages of them! Again, sorry) but I just wanted to comment that this one hasn't been fixed in the PC version. And there seems to be quite a number of stages that has more blue spheres than the ones needed. It's specially weird when it happens with the stages that were ported from the originals (Sonic 3's 4th emerald stage has this one extra sphere, or rather, has this one less sphere in the counter required to clear it)

6 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

What?

Poor design is not ensuring the arsenal of moves and abilities your character has functions with the entire gimmick of a level. Getting your ass dropped off a platform because you held right isn't hand holding it's making your platform functional. This is such a weird thing to defend.

Your viewing this the wrong way, I don't care if you would perfer if it worked that way, that's not the point I'm making. In your mind it should be that way but that's not nessesarily true. Unexpected =/= Cheap, it just means you didn't anticipate it. More so its less "defending" and more "attacking" on your part. Its just as 'weird" regardless of how you put it. Nevermind the fact this all makes sense in universe...

And again, its not that black and white, you could notice the plane isn't keeping up with you and then quickly jump and tilt yourself back on, or you could recklessly die, either way the series of events in which you learn what needed to be learned is the same, both have there pros and cons but albiet its no a big deal either way you look at it.

Another music glitch... I picked up the Invincibility box in the last underwater section of Hydrocity Act 2 and :D well...after the drowning music started I flew up to get air with Tails and the invincibility music plays in the loop. And I hoped that music changing/unchanging glitch from S3 got rid of.

I'm pretty sure ring count in Blue Spheres is broken on PC aswell. In some bonus stages got all rings and had the last few spheres left but ring count still told me there's a few left...somewhere. other than that, haven't had even one glitch/bug.

6 minutes ago, BlueFlare said:

I'm pretty sure ring count in Blue Spheres is broken on PC aswell. In some bonus stages got all rings and had the last few spheres left but ring count still told me there's a few left...somewhere. other than that, haven't had even one glitch/bug.

I played all 32 levels with Gold on PC and I can tell you for sure that the glitch "I see three spheres but need one" is pretty much the only one.

28 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

Your viewing this the wrong way, I don't care if you would perfer if it worked that way, that's not the point I'm making. In your mind it should be that way but that's not nessesarily true. Unexpected =/= Cheap, it just means you didn't anticipate it. More so its less "defending" and more "attacking" on your part. Its just as 'weird" regardless of how you put it. Nevermind the fact this all makes sense in universe...

And again, its not that black and white, you could notice the plane isn't keeping up with you and then quickly jump and tilt yourself back on, or you could recklessly die, either way the series of events in which you learn what needed to be learned is the same, both have there pros and cons but albiet its no a big deal either way you look at it.

Specifically what happened is I turned super, the plane followed me fine for a little bit, then I held right and as soon as I smacked the right end of the screen I clipped through the plane and died. Since I cannot jump mid-air I have no idea how the fuck I'm even supposed to recover from that. You're defending a gimmick an entire level is centered around ceasing to work because they couldn't account for the velocity of two moves, one bog standard and one rewarded to the player. Since the platform tracks you there's no way for a new player to intuit that suddenly a few moves in their arsenal is inviting death.

Edit: I'm not going to keep getting into this with you, I flatout think that's bad design and we're at an impasse because I literally cannot comprehend why anybody would treat it like a feature.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Specifically what happened is I turned super, the plane followed me fine for a little bit, then I held right and as soon as I smacked the right end of the screen I clipped through the plane and died. Since I cannot jump mid-air I have no idea how the fuck I'm even supposed to recover from that. You're defending a gimmick an entire level is centered around ceasing to work because they couldn't account for the velocity of two moves, one bog standard and one rewarded to the player. Since the platform tracks you there's no way for a new player to intuit that suddenly a few moves in their arsenal is inviting death.

Edit: I'm not going to keep getting into this with you, I flatout think that's bad design and we're at an impasse because I literally cannot comprehend why anybody would treat it like a feature.

Fair enough, I was being vague with my responces so I'll cut it short, one thing that suck out though...

If your super sonic of course your going to out run the plane, that's common sense! I don't know how anyone could not think that would happen. Should the plane also glow yellow and move faster to account for your additional speed? Would that make a lot of sense?

1 hour ago, superman43 said:

I played all 32 levels with Gold on PC and I can tell you for sure that the glitch "I see three spheres but need one" is pretty much the only one.

Just to clarify, I was talking about rings, not spheres. But maybe those remaining rings were still hiding somewhere.

16 minutes ago, BlueFlare said:

Just to clarify, I was talking about rings, not spheres. But maybe those remaining rings were still hiding somewhere.

I was talking about rings. Told that the only glitch I experienced was more spheres than needed... but always when I got a perfect I haven´t found any more rings nearby. Maybe it´s an error, maybe not (more rings than needed at your side). Maybe I am wrong. Who knows...

6 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

I've gold medaled all the blue sphere stages and I've never had any trouble with missing rings. There are plenty of cases where there's clusters of rings hidden off somewhere, so it's probably either that or you've botched turning spheres into rings at some point.

6 hours ago, Alienrun said:

If your super sonic of course your going to out run the plane, that's common sense! I don't know how anyone could not think that would happen. Should the plane also glow yellow and move faster to account for your additional speed? Would that make a lot of sense?

What "makes sense" is for the game to work in a sensible, fair, and consistent way.

Seriously defending this is dumb, you shouldn't be able to fall off the plane. It's designed to track to your position even if you're jumping around and running back and forth. That it fails at high speeds in certain circumstances shouldn't be considered acceptable.

e: and now I've had it happen to me, so I'm doubly pissed at the idea that this is okay.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

I know there is one (or two) stages that are really hard to get perfect in.

But just to be sure since everyone is using the gold medals as a measurement, are we talking about the regular stages? I'm pretty sure there are extra blue sphere scenarios when you pick Mania on the extras menu and maybe those could have what you are talking about.

I've noticed my game is occasionally crashing after a Blue Sphere stage. I don't get an error code on Switch, so there's nothing for me to look up, it just says an error occurred and the game was shut down. And while it only happens once in a while, it is consistently happening near the end of some Blue Sphere stages. Not sure if this is the case for anyone else either on Switch or other platforms. It's also the only game on my Switch that I've ever seen this happen with.

Hopefully this is something that's going to be fixed in a patch.

It would be so cool if Mania didn't crash every time I exit fullscreen, or if it'd at least capture in fullscreen.

Oddly enough, I've only ran into audio glitches:

- Level music simply stops playing, usually after a power-up runs out. Can be fixed by exiting the game, dying or entering a Special Stage/Bonus Stage;

- Invincibility jingle started playing out of nowhere, yet there isn't none of the visual effects or protection. Can be fixed like above.

That's about it. Yes, of course I've glitched through walls and such, but frankly? C'mon.

The stacked rings in GHZ Act 2 are still there too, but eh.

Oh, and there's of course the leaderboards crash on the PS4 version.

It is still easy to get the intro background outside of the ship in FBZ 2 as it was in Sonic (3) & Knuckles. For instance, this happened when I got from the bottom of the stage through the middle right to the top. Very easy on any occasion. The game corrected itself when I was at the bottom of that slope.

SonicMania 2017-09-01 11-40-22-17.jpg

Plus it´s possible to clip through the wall in Stardust Speedway Zone 1 and end up in the enclosed area. There is no way out then, only restarting the stage.

Hi everyone, i found this glitch with knuckles while i was playing so i decided to make a very funny and short video of it, i had some sonic 06 vibes, hope you can watch it and enjoy :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I just turned Super Sonic, but instead of turning Yellow he stayed blue. It looks kind of cool.

DJ4Dm64VAAAYaJ-.jpg

EDIT: Also, he's faster but he's not invincible. What is this? :lol:

11 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

I just turned Super Sonic, but instead of turning Yellow he stayed blue. It looks kind of cool.

DJ4Dm64VAAAYaJ-.jpg

EDIT: Also, he's faster but he's not invincible. What is this? :lol:

You looked up and turned Super. Common glitch for consoles, as far as I know you can do it on PC as well, but only in Metallic Madness and only while being "Chibi".

8 hours ago, superman43 said:

You looked up and turned Super. Common glitch for consoles, as far as I know you can do it on PC as well, but only in Metallic Madness and only while being "Chibi".

I was trying to Drop Dash in midair, though. :|

Oh, I've had three major glitches so far:

Not so much a glitch but rather an oversight - if you end Green Hill Act 2 in a location/terrain setup where a character cannot climb a hill by holding left, you get stuck in the cut-scene forever.  Really should've been a failsafe "if the character hasn't gone down the pit after 10 seconds, just fade to black and go to the next scene" here.

This however was just an out and out glitch.  Reached the UFO, Tails didn't spin into it, this just happened.

Finally, no video of it, but on Press Garden Act 1, playing as Tails alone, I intentionally flew off the right of the screen during the act clear sequence, as far as I could.  I was tempting fate - I wanted to see if it'd mess up the cut-scene where the character auto-runs out of the building before Act 2 starts.  Boy howdy it did.  The camera panned to the right as usual and Tails died off-screen before it could reach him.  Afterwards the stage reloaded from Act 2 with Tails at the normal spawn point, but the level title card didn't display.  The game crashed right after.

Of course, all the above resulted in me having to replay from the start of the zone I was on because of this game's unnecessarily limited save system lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

10 month bump for Mania Plus. Spoiler tags because all of the videos are from Encore mode.

No Music Glitch

Spoiler

Sometimes certain sound effects will trigger the music to stop playing. In this case, the sound of a bomb exploding stops the music (various other sound effects can trigger the glitch too). The music is reset upon dying/entering a new area, but will be triggered again when the bugged sound effect is played. This is happen repeatedly until the game is shut down and restarted. This glitch happens a lot. Certain other sounds that have caused it are the fire jets in FBZ and mach speed up in the Special Stages.

Stuck in a Wall Game Breaking Glitch

Spoiler

I tried swapping from Sonic to Ray and got stuck. Somehow Ray had ended up inside a wall and couldn't get out. The AI Sonic tried to follow Ray and ended up bouncing endlessly on a spring next to the wall. And because you can only swap characters when both of them are firmly on the group, it was impossible to swap back to Sonic. The only way out was to restart the level.

Unable to Move Glitch

Spoiler

Standing between the ledge and some wall spikes beneath it, Mighty got stuck after stomping the spikes. He was completely unable to move and remained spinning in mid-air. Fortunately, I was able to swap to Knuckles, thereby escaping the glitch. If there was no partner character, the level would have needed to been restarted.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

10 month bump for Mania Plus. Spoiler tags because all of the videos are from Encore mode.

No Music Glitch

Reveal hidden contents

Sometimes certain sound effects will trigger the music to stop playing. In this case, the sound of a bomb exploding stops the music (various other sound effects can trigger the glitch too). The music is reset upon dying/entering a new area, but will be triggered again when the bugged sound effect is played. This is happen repeatedly until the game is shut down and restarted. This glitch happens a lot. Certain other sounds that have caused it are the fire jets in FBZ and mach speed up in the Special Stages.

Stuck in a Wall Game Breaking Glitch

Reveal hidden contents

I tried swapping from Sonic to Ray and got stuck. Somehow Ray had ended up inside a wall and couldn't get out. The AI Sonic tried to follow Ray and ended up bouncing endlessly on a spring next to the wall. And because you can only swap characters when both of them are firmly on the group, it was impossible to swap back to Sonic. The only way out was to restart the level.

Unable to Move Glitch

Reveal hidden contents

Standing between the ledge and some wall spikes beneath it, Mighty got stuck after stomping the spikes. He was completely unable to move and remained spinning in mid-air. Fortunately, I was able to swap to Knuckles, thereby escaping the glitch. If there was no partner character, the level would have needed to been restarted.

Is  the partner in Encore mode AI-only, or can he be controlled with a second controller like in Mania mode? I wonder if you could have escaped the second glitch by getting Sonic back up to the platform he jumped off. Ray was clearly on the ground for the purpose of being able to jump while in that wall, but I don't know if the swapping code has some other checks.

1 minute ago, A_W said:

Is  the partner in Encore mode AI-only, or can he be controlled with a second controller like in Mania mode? I wonder if you could have escaped the second glitch by getting Sonic back up to the platform he jumped off. Ray was clearly on the ground for the purpose of being able to jump while in that wall, but I don't know if the swapping code has some other checks.

Yep, AI only in Encore mode. Ray was on the ground in the wall, but as Sonic wasn't, they couldn't be swapped.

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a glitch in Encore MMZ where I got crushed(?) during a leap into the background. T’was weird.

Also noticed a fair few palette glitches. Mighty’s shell uses some incorrect colours for his shell’s highlights during Mean Bean Machine, and in Mania Mode’s post GHZ2 cutscene, the bottom of Eggman’s mech is bright orange all of a sudden. Shinobi’s orange gauntlet things turn black, so it seems the colour may have been swapped somehow.