Awoo.

Sonic Riders 3?

mephiles-the-recolour

what about it? i enjoyed zero gravity, the first one the story WAS good but the voice acting....not so much, Jason is getting better (im not getting in a arguement about that) i think Jet needs more of a personality ( all the rouges need more backstory) also i think silver needs a bit of the plot in it too because he's my favourite character so far (i don't know how but he hasen't been in a game in a while) and if i make a suggestion, how about changing silvers VA, i just think is voice is too.....wimpy, i think they should have a similar plot to the first one (tournament), i just think it makes sense when you do 3 laps around a location, thats all i can think of.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JaidynReiman

• Indigo Rush

• Rusty Spy

• Gabz Girl

Well, it would fit perfectly in the current Sonic-schedule Sega introduced a while ago, but I doubt they will do a Riders 3. With Sonic & Sega ASR Sonic fans will get a new Sonic Racer in early 2010. The Riders games used to be released in that time. And I think Zero Gravity was a decent game, but wasn't selling enough. Afters 2 Riders games the deveoplers must long for other projects than Sonic, I guess.

I don't think I understand what you're saying. Should they make a new Riders game?

Meh... I don't know. I second racing game would detract from ASR. That, and ZG didn't sell so well. I would be happy to see another with the controls of ZG and the tricks of R1, though.

I'd probably skip Riders 3 if they made one. The first one was pretty mediocre and got boring too fast, and Riders 2 didn't look like much of an improvement so I skipped it. Unless Riders 3 completely reworks the subseries, I doubt I'll bother with it.

Even so, if they do make one I'm hoping they don't waste space on another pair of generic robots.

If there were to be a Riders 3, as good ol' Diogenes said, they need to seriously overhaul the gameplay. I personally like the original concept, however they have executed it poorly so far. I don't have much faith in a successful sequel, if they happen to make one, that is.

OP, your grammar isn't the best. Please try and improve it, use capital letters and such. =3

Back on topic~ I wouldn't mind seeing a new Sonic Riders game, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. It has even less chance of appearing than a third Rush game. Also, they must improve alot, and I mean ALOT of things from the previous game e.g. graphics, AI, controls and unlockable characters. Oh, and some of the stages!

Visually, I think they should go with the anime style they had going for the opening. The gameplay could be cel-shaded while giving the shadows that "sketch" look. It's not impossible, and I think it would work exceptionally well. Give Riders its own style!

As for gameplay, something similar to the first Riders, with some of the features of the turbulence, minus the running-on-foot feature. Boosting is a plus, so is sharp-corner drifting, but I don't know about gravity dive. Perhaps if there were a sequel, they could add another new and FUN gameplay element to shake things up; like an advanced boost technique or something.

Sonic Riders: Turbo

For next gen consoles, please. The graphics would be very pretty. VERY PRETTY.

A million jillion times yes.

But it'd have to require a massive overhaul in gameplay. Screw the story, it's over and done with, just focus on the gameplay.

I can type a whole novel about how I'd go about doing it, but to be short, take Riders 1 mechanics and copy-pasta onto Sega ASR.

^ I definitely like that idea, but graphically, the games don't suffer that bad... They aren't really that great, no, but that's not the series' worst problem. The major fault of the series is moreso the control systems than anything else. Personally, I liked the first to, but I do agree; they need to overhaul the gameplay quite a bit. Plus, drop the annoying useless robots and put decent characters in there to fill the slots. You don't NEED to fill in the blank slots in Story Mode... if there's no reason to add any other characters in the stages, then don't. Its pointless adding a series of robots to race against when its supposed to be just Sonic vs Jet, or whoever is racing each other.

Regardless of what happens to the Riders series, though, it doesn't put an end to the Babylon Rogues. Jet has appeared/cameod in a couple games already, and it won't be much longer until they make a plot-based appearance (he cameod in Secret Rings and Brawl, was playable in Black Knight, and was a planned playable in M&S 1... more than likely GOING to be playable in the next one).

I'd much rather see them trash Riders and start sticking to the All Star Racing instead. I thought the first Riders was pretty fun for a short while, but I absolutely hated Zero Gravity, >=. All Star Racing looks a lot more interesting and fun in my opinion.

If Sega feels like they still need a separate racing game for just Sonic, I wouldn't mind just going back to the air boards and either making the levels with much more replay value or make a bunch of levels. Adding a good working online wouldn't bother me either, ^_^.

-Blur

I liked the first Riders and its mechanics enough to believe that the gameplay doesn't need an entire overhaul so much as mere improvement in areas, the AI being one. The AI is of that weird skill level where they're juggernauts for a moment before becoming pure pansies once you begin to master the controls. I want a more consistent difficulty, or at least different difficulty settings that I can set to give me a lasting challenge and the game some longevity.

It would also help to give the actual characters their own base stats in a range of fields such as Speed, Strength, Dexterity, etc., instead of putting them in a generic class. That will make each of the possible character and gear combinations feel different to use as well as better balance the game. As it stands now, the characters are indistinguishable from one another, and it doesn't which critter you have in a race so long as they're on the insanely awesome High Booster. <3

A more fluid trick system would also be a plus. Because the tricks are so preset, I find performing them really monotonous and thus less rewarding, especially since pushing out of that boundary will end with me wrecking and getting a C. A larger range of tricks that you can perform that rely on more than just mindless turning of the control stick would feel more satisfying.

As for Zero Gravity, I like its gimmick for the potential, but the execution was far below what I wanted. What I originally expected was more in the vein of a cross between Burnout: Paradise, Galaxy, and Mirror's Edge-- Wider tracks with tons of set pieces where racers can ride along nearly any conceivable surface plane. The most obvious path would be marked for good measure, but players would still have the option of exploring the lay of the land for shortcuts, Easter eggs, power-ups, and what have you.

Also, I never imagined that the difficulty would've been so gimped. I was disgusted to have beat ZG so quickly and easily. If a part three does come around, if nothing else changes than at the very least make it harder than the first, Sonic Team. ><;;

I kinda did like the "Gear Change" system, though the gravity actions aren't the best. If they went back to the original system, minus the requirement for having air to run (that was always annoying), it probably would be better off, especially if they add in features like more stages, Grand Prix modes (either add more stages so that there can be four Grand Prix modes or lower the amount of stages in Grand Prix), more characters, and better controls, and it would probably be better off, and no one could rip on it for being a "Mario Kart" clone.

If there has to be a Sonic Riders 3, I want it to have both riders best parts:

Riders 1:

Boosting/Offense

Drifting

Air trick system

Turbulence system

Character having their own abilities for different parts

Running on foot if out of (put type of energy)

Arena Battles

Riders ZG:

Tutorial (REALLY HELPING)

Gear change system

Bumpers for short cuts

Side wall tracks

More types of gears like the Wheel and the Wind Craft.... whatever its name is.... <_<

With that, they have to put an option for Story mode, free race and grand prix cause putting a fixed difficulty depending on what your option is, is pain in the arse....

To play grand prix so that the AI is on "not even a challenge" or on free race to put it on "dang why can't I win!?" is simply ridiculous!

I'd also want more mission and maybe even add the option to choose a difficulty to win a different medal.

Tho if the difficulty is higher, I don't want the score to win a medal to be only higher then the last difficulty; I want the mission objective to stay the same but add more obstacles/enemies/flying rings/rails for more challenge.

Add more stuff on the battle option too cause; Face off battle, Rally and make more points gets boring dang fast.... also add more stage, three isn't enough 10 max yes.

About the plot and this kind of thing.... i'm not too good at it so i'll leave it to the experts that talks about it alot. ^_^

So yeah, if these things are done correctly and they fix some other stuff that I didn't notice, I'll be fine with it.

^ Yeah, pretty much agreed on all accounts... except for "running on foot if out of air." I don't like that feature because it makes it a little more difficult to keep going fast. If you want to rectify that, Sega could just as easily add in extra shoes that let you run on two feet but still utilize air to keep you going fast. That would be far better than resorting to have to move slowly just for the sake of walking. It is -seriously- annoying running out of air in the original.

Well, in the beggining in riders 1, if your not that skilled or have no experience, sure you'll run out of air cause you keep boosting and you drift non stop without even realising your drifting.

But when your more experience... you have to do it on purpose to run out of air. :P

The problem with ZG, is that no matter what you do.... you where always slow... I mean, if you keep playing with the gravity control you were going at 120 MPH but the fastest speed was what.... 160 MPH without any speed pad? on Riders 1 it was 180 MPH the max and on top of that you could boost as long as you had air.

The worst was that even if you were out of air you were running at 120 MPH with no speed pad but you could speed up if running down a hill and even reach 180 MPH with the speed pad or getting the invinsible box.... <_<

Besides... some of us like to run on foot just for the fun of it or challenge ourselves.

If some are bothered by it... put an option at the title screen or Extra option: Foot On|Off, simple no? ;)

Running on foot in the Riders games was terrible. I wouldn't mind having a running sneaker vehicle, however - we got Shadow's sneakers, but in the second game, the characters always looked like they were floating three feet off the ground.

As Jake said. If you REALLY want it in, add an extra "vehicle" that acts as running, though of course make the feel of running different than in the other games. It was a horrible feature, and it most definitely detracts gamers who AREN'T AS GOOD at the game as other people may be. The controls are difficult enough, but then you have to add in a feature where you have to constantly keep getting air JUST TO STAY ON THE BOARD? And running sucked ass, anyway.

Wha? Running was annoying and not fast enough? It was meant to be! That's your punishment for being reckless and running out of air!

The problem is that it makes things problematic, and then its a pain-in-the-ass getting more air again. There's always circumstances that can screw you over, and its ESPECIALLY bad when a person isn't as good as the game, turning off people who may otherwise want to play the game. I can play the game great, but again, its not about -me- specifically. Its about making the controls a little bit better so that others can handle the game easier, and then there's always circumstances where you can easily run out of air.

People always complain about "cheap" difficulty. Well, this is "cheap" difficulty right here. True difficulty would be having an actually difficulty system like in Mario Kart where you can set the AI to be harder or easier. Make the CONTROLS easier, but then add an AI function to change the difficulty so you can have a better challenge against harder opponents. The Riders games thus far have had a mixture of these things, consisting of either A.) very easy AI, B.) extremely difficulty AI, or C.) frustrating controls. And again, you need to be -really- good at games in order to handle the controls properly. I can handle it, but barely anyone else I know can.

Simply not being able to use the functions of air when its out makes the game the game difficulty enough, but also SLOWING YOU DOWN TREMENDOUSLY when running out of air? Perhaps they can bring back some air functions, but running isn't one of them. Once again, if you really want a running feature, what -should- happen is certain "gear" you can get are Shoes instead of Skates.

I think you're overstating the issue, assuming the running is a big enough problem to be considered one. Not being able to hop back on your gear when it runs out of the very thing it needs to run is the fairest punishment I could have imagined they concoct. And of course it slows you down; What would even be the point in a fuel system if there were absolutely no consequences for being too liberal with it? If you could continue running at the same speed you would be if traveling on your gear, then throwing you off in the first place is just about useless.

And there are plenty of ways to regain air-- Pit stops, capsules, turbulence, rings, and ramps litter the tracks, and all have their various ways of providing air. I must question anyone who struggles trying to refuel their gear with so many opportunities laying about.

Going from there, I'll say that I'm not a stickler for catering to everyone in terms of difficulty because there is no real reason why Riders shouldn't be difficult to master, nor should its difficulty be considered an objective flaw. Everyone has a different skill level and will thus will have a different experience mastering the same game. Making the game too accessible because there are bound to be some people out there who don't want to or can't deal with the learning curve shouldn't be Sonic Team's prerogative. They have more pressing issues to address during development, such as even getting a solid control scheme down in the first place.

Speaking of which, I do agree with you that the controls for running suck. xP If they're going to put you on foot, then I would naturally expect a little more maneuverability. I'd rather they make the characters feel like actual characters instead of non-drifting vehicles.

Edited by Nepenthe

^ Agree with everything, including the fact that yeah, the running controls are really weird.

I do agree also, that yes, there should be an easy, normal and hard mode. Though running is still fine. People who aren't good at the game? On easy mode, you still will have a great chance of winning even if you do run out of air. On normal and hard mode, then yeah, if you don't manage your air correctly you have every right to lose the race from running out of air at an inconvinient time.

I think the Air Gain option is the closest thing to a difficulty setting the game has. High gives you much more air than normal, Normal is the default amount of air received, and Low rewards you with less air.

With Low, you'd have to manage your air more properly as you won't be getting a whole lot back, while High practically serves it to you on a silver platter, also, another way to increase difficulty is to change the effect of running out of air, from simply running to retiring from the race completely, and then there's the option to have pit stops or not, level ups, or items.

There's actually quite a bit you can do to change difficulty, just not with the AI....

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

I haven't played any of the Riders games, but I do like them story-wise. I really like the Rogue's and the games in my opinion have great music, ESPECIALLY the second one, It had me obsessed for quite sometime after release.

I'd have to test out the game-play to see if I'd like to buy it... but I'd like and expansion for the story.

Another thing... if they do end up making a sequel, they need to leave the story out of it. There should be no fantastical reason for the characters to hold an Ex-World Grand Prix. Nothing more in-depth than to win the Chaos Emeralds or some other prize in a tournament.

...also, Fang on the Marvelous Queen, plz.

When I let my sister try out Riders 1. She declared that the game sucked, not even the first 5 min. of her play time. I saw her playing. She was having trouble turning. And when she tried to do that drift turn, she ended up braking. All because the programmers decided that in order to drift, you have to first turn the control stick, then hold R/L. That, and when she tried to do tricks on the ramps, she wouldn't gain enough air, because she didn't know you had to hold A then release at the tip.

All these problems immediately throw off any non-sonic gamers. For me, I'm able to enjoy Riders, simply because I'm able to master and understand how to play the game. Other people don't have the patience for this.

So they really need to fix all those problems in Riders 3. That, and make the game faster and bring back the exilirating feeling of riding on turbulence. Seriously, riding and doing tricks on that stuff is fun as hell.

Also, instead of making more generic futuristic settings, design environments based off of all of the series most popuar levels. Seriously, imagine riding thru a newer, better, crisper version of Radical Highway, or Ice Cap.

Also, screw the story. The writing can get very childish and unnecessary. And bring in more style to the game. To attract different gamers.