Awoo.

*(What If Sonic Remained In A Band?)*

Chris Knopps

During the concept stages of the franchise, and throughout the franchises existence even, its been shown that Sonic has a keen interest in music even after the initial band idea was dropped. We've seen Sonic performing several times, continuously in the Underground series, and to this day Sonic still puts on an occasional performance, via scenes such as in the Sonic BOOM series against Justin Beaver.

(Although seriously, Justin Beaver SoA...?)

I've always wondered what it could have been like throughout the series if Sonic had remained part of a band, the kind of "alright gang, Eggman's back, see ya in time for the gig!" scenes we could of had in whatnot.

Plus, this could have provided for some pretty sweet credits throughout various titles where Sonic and his band could have performed the themes of an occasional game together as they roll.

Heck, even in Generations we had Vector playing music against Sonic in a mini-game, and he was a character that managed to remain a staple in the series having been born from said very concept!

I dunno... Seeing him traveling the world, making performances and garnering all the more popularity in his own world throughout the series, think it would have been cool to watch his stardom grow in his own world throughout the years too.

You could even bring back characters from throughout the series history and give them cameos at said performances during credits and whatnot! But, that's just my ideas.

259344-sonicband.jpg

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Being in a band feels like it requires a bit too much organisation for Sonic's lifestyle, but he does seem like the sort who would stop by bars with a guitar like "anyway here's Wonderwall" a bit.

On the subject of Vector though, if Sonic's friends ever started to have a presence again, or they made it into Boom, I'd like to see the idea of Team Chaotix being in an (unspeakably awful) band being a recurring thing/joke.

It would be interesting to see that kind of Sonic too, whereas even if the band concept wasn't kept the musician concept was. Now and then he shows off his talent as I said, but I'd definitely like to see more of where his interest in the field could take him.

I don't think it would've made much of a difference. There's not a lot of time to do a gig while there's a planet to save, especially back in the Genesis games where we barely even had cutscenes. And since it wouldn't have been very prominent in that era, even when they started including more story content I don't think it would have much influence on the story.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like to think that Sonic was once in this band before he started traveling the world. Not that ever got big off of it, but I like the idea that this was another reason his name is 'Sonic'. It'd also give me a good origin as for why Amy started following Sonic around so much to begin with.. 

Plus, it gives room for him to have known Vector in the past, and I am always up for Sonic & Vector shenanigans.

• Thumbs Up 9

I dont think being in a band really fits Sonic. I know rock and roll fits him but hes also someone whos free to do what he wants and in a band your not really all that free, just free creative wise. Plus it also doesnt fit his relaxed personality as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Azoo said:

I like to think that Sonic was once in this band before he started traveling the world. Not that ever got big off of it, but I like the idea that this was another reason his name is 'Sonic'. It'd also give me a good origin as for why Amy started following Sonic around so much to begin with.. 

Plus, it gives room for him to have known Vector in the past, and I am always up for Sonic & Vector shenanigans.

Hadn't thought of that... It's true Amy just kind of fell in love with Sonic obsessively out of the blue, granted she'd heard stories of him or whatever, I think that was more along the lines of her reasoning but still. Boy crazy girl meets band extraordinaire, that does ring a nice bell. Good on ya.

I like to think that being in a a travelling band could be some potential backstory.  It'd definitely explain his attitude and why he's always travelling. 

I don't think it'd add much if it was actually apart of the games. I always feel like this type of stuff tends to detract from the story, because band stuff isn't that interesting a thing to focus on.

Just now, StaticMania said:

I like to think that being in a a travelling band could be some potential backstory.  It'd definitely explain his attitude and why he's always travelling. 

I don't think it'd add much if it was actually apart of the games. I always feel like this type of stuff tends to detract from the story, because band stuff isn't that interesting a thing to focus on.

Perhaps, but like I said, a game where now and then during the credits you watched Sonic and his gang perform the titles theme would have been cool to see.

33 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't think it would've made much of a difference. There's not a lot of time to do a gig while there's a planet to save, especially back in the Genesis games where we barely even had cutscenes. And since it wouldn't have been very prominent in that era, even when they started including more story content I don't think it would have much influence on the story.

I can't agree with that assessment, personally. They weren't just there as a sound test easter egg from the looks of concepts found beyond that picture, they'd have played roles within the story context as well. Notably, the outro shows Sharps saving Sonic in the same way Tails would in Sonic 2, and other art shows them getting up to hijnks in a similar manner to the screensaver art of Sonic and Tails hanging out. It's probable that had the band stayed in the games, Tails wouldn't need to be created (although Knuckles would as the rival position was still open), and obviously a lack of Tails would have definitely made things play out very differently. 

As for the idea of Sonic having been in a band with Vector before the events of Sonic 1 in the current canon...ah, nope. Sonic does not treat Vector like an old friend when they interact with each other, and the current position is that Vector can't even play the keyboard. How would Vector play an instrument he doesn't know how to play?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

I can't agree with that assessment, personally. They weren't just there as a sound test easter egg from the looks of concepts found beyond that picture, they'd have played roles within the story context as well. Notably, the outro shows Sharps saving Sonic in the same way Tails would in Sonic 2, and other art shows them getting up to hijnks in a similar manner to the screensaver art of Sonic and Tails hanging out. It's probable that had the band stayed in the games, Tails wouldn't need to be created (although Knuckles would as the rival position was still open), and obviously a lack of Tails would have definitely made things play out very differently. 

As for the idea of Sonic having been in a band with Vector before the events of Sonic 1 in the current canon...ah, nope. Sonic does not treat Vector like an old friend when they interact with each other, and the current position is that Vector can't even play the keyboard. How would Vector play an instrument he doesn't know how to play?

See, thing is, Sonic hasn't had that much of an opportunity TO interact with Vector, so telling their relationship level is difficult since the character himself hasn't been in many games. Chaotix, Heroes, Shadow, (was he in 06...?) and Generations are the only times I recall him appearing myself, and most of the times he has appeared Sonic hasn't been around him much in said titles either, making it all the more difficult to assume what they are to one another.

Perhaps the band disbanded and they went about their own ways or whatever?

Anyways, as far as Tails creation goes it could have happened exactly the same and he would have become a tag-along with Sonic nonetheless, perhaps as a mascot of the band or something, technician for the band, who knows?

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

..Because Vector and Sonic haven't really interacted much at all (besides Generations but that barely counts as interactions on any character's behalf), and Vector's never been shown to not know how to play a keyboard? It seems easy to work around it since Sega leaves a lot of blanks in between spots.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Azoo said:

..Because Vector and Sonic haven't really interacted much at all (besides Generations but that barely counts as interactions on any character's behalf), and Vector's never been shown to not know how to play a keyboard? It seems easy to work around it since Sega leaves a lot of blanks in between spots.

We've been told that he doesn't play keyboard, so that one's out outright.

There's interaction between them in Colours DS, Runners and stuff. It may not be canon in the strictest sense, but it gives a good guide on how their dynamic is perceived, and in those games Sonic doesn't seem all too fond of any of the Chaotix because they're that eccentric. In fact, they do the rare thing of getting under his skin. 

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

We've been told that he doesn't play keyboard, so that one's out outright.

There's interaction between them in Colours DS, Runners and stuff. It may not be canon in the strictest sense, but it gives a good guide on how their dynamic is perceived, and in those games Sonic doesn't seem all too fond of any of the Chaotix because they're that eccentric. In fact, they do the rare thing of getting under his skin. 

Where've we been told explicitly that he doesn't play keyboard?

Also just because Sonic gets irritated at a group doesn't mean he's as bothered with the individuals. Like said, it feels like we're quick to deny expansion on this sort of detail because of really tiny things that cover only really broad and vague strokes.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Azoo said:

Where've we been told explicitly that he doesn't play keyboard?

Also just because Sonic gets irritated at a group doesn't mean he's as bothered with the individuals. Like said, it feels like we're quick to deny expansion on this sort of detail because of really tiny and minute things.

I'm trying to find a video of it so you know I'm not making it up, but it appears as part of a question in Mario and Sonic London.

And the latter I kinda phrased wrong; Sonic was speaking to them individually in Sonic Colours DS, so that was him getting bothered with the individuals. 

Still feel like using information from Colors DS and Olympic games is kind of a stretch, lol. Especially since this series seems to have some sort of disjunction with how it writes it's characters, and how fluidly that can even change in the first place. Worrying about those tiny sources don't matter to me nearly as much as something deemed canonical would.

• Thumbs Up 1

And I'm still pretty certain they do give a good insight, especially when Mario and Sonic was using data right off Sonic Channel as its source and Colours DS and Runners are probably very close to how Sonic Team perceive them. I'm all for expansion, but this one of those rare cases where the old stuff simply isn't relevant at all, and making connections based off it is outright contradictory to the modern view of the characters and their dynamics. Expand them in different ways. 

20 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

And I'm still pretty certain they do give a good insight, especially when Mario and Sonic was using data right off Sonic Channel as its source and Colours DS and Runners are probably very close to how Sonic Team perceive them. I'm all for expansion, but this one of those rare cases where the old stuff simply isn't relevant at all, and making connections based off it is outright contradictory to the modern view of the characters and their dynamics. Expand them in different ways. 

So I guess we can kiss anything about them having to do with Knuckles goodbye as well? Because while there is room to write it, it obviously didn't happen in this canon so forget it, huh?

Man, I don't even care about these super specifics from these more obscure titles. If it's addressed in a canon game, that's one thing. If it's addressed in some random spinoff or title which's canon gets rewritten by the bigger game (Colors DS for example) then I'm not really gonna give it much of my time of day. 

And even if it is part of Sonic Channel's big chart of things about these characters, then I'll also sit on the fact that Iizuka also said the current Sonic canon has where Sonic goes to the "human world" and "Sonic's world" through a gate at will (a story piece that didn't exist until recently I might add), and I know I'm not gelling with that either lol.

This series is a lot looser than you're giving it cred for. It can write over itself as quick as it feels, for better or worse. So with that in mind, I wouldn't see Sonic and Vector going way back in this sort of thing as a problem whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Azoo said:

So I guess we can kiss anything about them having to do with Knuckles goodbye as well? Because while there is room to write it, it obviously didn't happen in this canon so forget it, huh?

...You realise I am the biggest advocate of that view, right? To the point where people trying to incorporate Knuckles Chaotix into their modern selves is an outright pet peeve of mine. Ironically, they did end up developing a friendly dynamic in the Mario and Sonic series naturally, but that was from them both being power types, not from any history together, and there was nothing in the games from Heroes onwards to suggest either a positive or negative dynamic prior to that Mario and Sonic game. And that was only Vector so far.

I guess I just hold things to different value because I'm the kind of person who takes what they can get to form an overall picture. They can retcon it later if they want, but until then I'd say it was contradictory from our current perspective. 

10 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

...You realise I am the biggest advocate of that view, right? To the point where people trying to incorporate Knuckles Chaotix into their modern selves is an outright pet peeve of mine.

That ain't gonna stop me from thinking Knuckles Chaotix shouldn't have been written out of canon for these characters and that it's kinda dumb they did that (because there isn't even a good reason why it was done to begin with), so this is the part where we agree to disagree. :v

Yeah, I don't see anything about Knuckles' Chaotix that contradicts the modern portrayals. It can be canon if someone deems it be

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, there is the fact that Charmy has no idea who Dr Eggman is despite Chaotix having them fight, plus the ages in Chaotix are all out of whack with Heroes. Vector is a year younger than Espio, for example. 

That's just Charmy being Charmy... and a lot of other Sonic characters' ages have changed over time

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, what Sean said. For example, Sonic & Knuckles' ages swapped in the Adventure era, and I'm more than sure the classic games are still canon.

But yeah anyways we just got crazy off topic. Let's gets back to what we were talking about again, guys.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Man, I don't even care about these super specifics from these more obscure titles. If it's addressed in a canon game, that's one thing. If it's addressed in some random spinoff or title which's canon gets rewritten by the bigger game (Colors DS for example) then I'm not really gonna give it much of my time of day. 

And even if it is part of Sonic Channel's big chart of things about these characters, then I'll also sit on the fact that Iizuka also said the current Sonic canon has where Sonic goes to the "human world" and "Sonic's world" through a gate at will (a story piece that didn't exist until recently I might add), and I know I'm not gelling with that either lol.

This series is a lot looser than you're giving it cred for. It can write over itself as quick as it feels, for better or worse. So with that in mind, I wouldn't see Sonic and Vector going way back in this sort of thing as a problem whatsoever.

Even Archie comics (post 2013 soft reboot) removed Knuckles from the Chaotix.