Awoo.

What you thought of Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

Kagura_Nitrogat

Well being a Sonic fan I tend not to associate with the community for reasons I don't care to disclose, lets just say to me alot of the Sonic community is the same reason I hate Halo...the community, anyway I was just thinking, what the community thought of Bioware's addition to the Sonic Series.

I personally loved it, mainly because I am a Bioware fan plus a Sonic fan, so to me...This was a dream come true, I loved the thought of my 2 favorite things in gaming mashing together and having very awesome story babies.

I loved it though I thought Tails was overpowered *cough lvl3 medibot cough* I loved the fact it was based of the satam universe too with swatbots and that ending...though I'm not sure what the rest of the fanbase thought...what did YOU think?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Blood

• Dr. Mechano

• Flyboy Fox

• Leon K Fox

In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, I liked that Eggman was playable. And that he had good lines.

I didn't like the darker storyline aspects, such as the heroes begrudgingly wishing their enemy was dead, which seemed really out of character for someone as idealistic and good-natured as game Sonic. But eh, I can overlook it.

Also, Dr. Madden was my favorite NPC. Poor guy.

Eh, I pretty much hated everything about the game. Well, except the dialogue; that was really good, and I wish the characters would act that way all the time. But the plot sucked as soon as they left Earth, and the ending was absolutley terrible. Dare I say it, "The Conduit" terrible?

Also, the game was NOT based on the SatAM world. Trust me, I would know. Swat-bots were nothing but a reference to the show, and the Echidnas in the game were a blatent ripoff of the Dark Legion. Banished long ago? Check. Advanced technology? Check.

Fixed the title ;)

I loved it. My only complaints are that it was too short and too easy. The story was fun, the characterisation was good, and there were some epic nods to some 90's era stuff without detracting from the modern cast and influences.

I liked the mixture of humour and darkness, and the ability to make character choices through dialogue that felt very personalised (for example, how Sonic treats Amy).

I loved the interaction between Sonic and Tails because it really showed what could happen in a few years. I loved that Tails actually got a little snarky at Sonic for being away so long, and basically told him that things had moved on without him. Tails was awesome in this game, I thought. He'd grown as a character, independent enough to lead his own team, but he was still the same in many ways. His interaction with Eggman was interesting, also.

The battles were far too easy. As were the puzzles. And the final boss battle was over in like two or three moves - rather an anti-climax.

But I still really enjoyed it and earnestly hope that the cliff-hanger ending means a sequel is in the works.

I loved this game, as with Flyboy my only two complaints were the ease and shortness, though because it was a DS game it took me awhile playing a little at a time. The writing was some of the best, if not the best, of any Sonic game in my opinion. the characterization was amazing and the story was fun. As far as the combat complaints, I am not a big fan of RPGs, and this felt like a light RPG to me, so it felt just fine. I really hope the Bioware is making the sequel and we will hear from it soon, It's one of my favorite new Sonic games.

Frankly I thought it was crap. The music was horrible, the characters were ugly, the cutscenes were barely animated (at least the storybook games have the excuse of being, well, storybooks), the battle system was clumsy and unfun, and the story wasn't all that great even before it took a sharp turn into "hey look at all these aliens we made what who is this 'Sonic' you speak of" territory. I did like that it took the time to have characters actually interact with each other instead of every cutscene serving solely to rush from one plot point to another...but I didn't particularly like Bioware's interpretations of the characters, so it all kind of falls flat.

The ending was also bullshit, even if they do want to make a sequel.

Being a big fan of Eastern-styled RPGs and big fan of Sonic, I loved Chronicles. I thought they did great with the dialogue except for them all wishing Eggman was dead seemed strange as someone else mentioned. I'd like a darker story for just once but that Eggman thing bugged me, also I didn't think Shadow was portrayed properly and why is Amy so mean to him when you first run into him? She seemed to highly like him in Adventure 2 and his own game, she even seemed to admire him at the end of the last story. Also like others have said I didn't like the ease and shortness. I would've liked it to have the length and difficulty of Final Fantasy VII. The 3D models were awful as well and I've seen better for a DS but I loved the hand painted backgrounds and the promotional art for the game. I did have higher hopes for the game though, I didn't think the story was all that dark or big, it seemed kind of normal for a Sonic game unlike they had said in magazines and also weren't they suppose to make Big smarter and more likable, but that never happened. I found Shade to be rather boring and underdeveloped as a character. And the music wasn't that great.

I know some people complain about the final boss that it's the worst final boss, but the final boss on Final Fantasy VII was just as bad and plus to forms of Ix before that are the hardest bosses in the game.

I hope for a sequel one day in which we may actually see some of the stuff they talked about before the release.

I wasn't that fond of it, at all. My biggest complaints would be that most of the cast was entirely out of character (ex: Sonic being a pretentious jackass. He's got an attitude, but he's definitely not a jerk like he was presented here.), and that the music was nothing short of pathetic. Music is, and always has been a strong point of a Sonic game - I find it amazing that the remixes are actually far worse than the original (Also, Green Hill Zone music isn't even playing in Green Hill. How could you screw that up?) . I wasn't all that fond of the graphics in that game, either - the 2D characters artwork was drawn in a Sonic X-esque art style (Why?), and the stage artwork was far too cartoony for my tastes. The 3D character models were also fairly poor in quality, in my opinion. The story wasn't all that great, and I'm definitely not looking towards a sequel.

I don't see why everyone loves Bioware so damn much. I didn't like Chronicles.

I would love to see some harder puzzles in the next game. Some that require some real thinking. It would be cool if you could set the puzzle difficulty at the beginning of the game, so that folks like me with a love for lateral thinking brainbenders could really get our teeth into some problem solving.

Also, the battles need to be harder. The system itself was interesting and I quite liked it, but leveling up certain characters made it way too easy to defeat enemies, and the boss battles were just embarrassing in their simplicity.

And I really would like to see Tails with some good solo attack moves using his tails. Kinda sad that he didn't have any.

(Also, Green Hill Zone music isn't even playing in Green Hill. How could you screw that up?)

Because crazy copyrights surround all the music from Sonic 1 and 2. Dreams Come True did the soundtrack for them, so SEGA have to pay them royalties to use the music. It's complicated and annoying.

Because crazy copyrights surround all the music from Sonic 1 and 2. Dreams Come True did the soundtrack for them, so SEGA have to pay them royalties to use the music. It's complicated and annoying.

Really? Why, they managed to pull off using a remix in Battle, Adventure 2, and Advance 3, and the original track in Superstars Tennis, MASATOG, Brawl, and a handful of other games. What prevented them from using it this time?

EDIT: Remembered that Sonic Adventure 2 uses a remix, sorry about that.

Edited by HunterTSF

Really? Why, they managed to pull off using a remix in Battle and Advance 3, and the original track in Adventure 2, SST, MASATOG, Brawl, and a handful of other games. What prevented them from using it this time?

Because SEGA were bothered about it so in those games. They were all done very closely with SEGA, whereas Chronicles was hugely outside of all that. I think that has something to do with it.

Got Rouge in my party and quickly got tired of going over every inch of Central City looking for old hideouts. Virtually everything that could go wrong with this game did. An Archie-esqu storyline, too many characters, all of which are too dark and brooding, and it somehow managed tone a Sonic game with a bad soundtrack. Come on, Sega has a musical division that's probably larger than the entirty of Bioware and this was the best the came up with? Thebattle system wasn't perfect, because pow points were too hard to come by, but it was still kind of fun. That should come as no surprise, considering they copied it from Elite Beat Agents.

Fun fact about Bioware, by the way, If a site gives one of their games a bad review, they raise a stink and try to get someone else to write it. If this new person still doesn't give them a good review, they blacklist the site.

Edited by Phos

Because SEGA were bothered about it so in those games. They were all done very closely with SEGA, whereas Chronicles was hugely outside of all that. I think that has something to do with it.

Makes sense for the most part. Except that as with Chronicles, Sega Superstars Tennis was developed by a third-party company and still used the track.

Uses the track, not remixed it I think is the key thing to look at there.

Uses the track, not remixed it I think is the key thing to look at there.

Something about Chronicles and it's "difficulties" with using these tracks is just fishy. I don't see what kind of hassles Bioware could have encountered that previous third-party developers of Sonic games didn't have to deal with. Tracks from Sonic 1 have been recycled in beforehand in Superstars Tennis (by Sumo Digital, a third-party company, in their original form, on a DS), so I don't see why Chronicles couldn't have followed. Also, I don't see why they couldn't have even used a remix of the music - if anything, it would have been easier to use, seeing as it isn't the original music. They had a fair share of remixes to work with (Battle, Adventure 2, Advance 3)- the lack of GHZ music in Green Hill is inexcusable.

Edited by HunterTSF

I don't know, Dude. All I know is that these crazy copyrights do surround the music from Sonic 1 and 2. The music artis changed for Sonic 3 as did the main theme. All that really exists these days is the drowning track.

I really enjoyed it, but the same problem; it was too easy, too short and the music wasn't particularily good. Characterisation was great, Shade was great, echidnas and Knuckles getting more backstory was <3, script was great and gameplay was nice, but that's it really.

Not to mention the ending (including the easiest final boss EVER) was a bit TOO anti-climatic. I really do hope they make a sequel soon, 'cos I'm itching know what happens next! >.<

Out of touch with what I like in Sonic games, boring and weak. Eggman has some redeeming lines, and one or another line has also made me laugh. Anything else was pure crap. To me.

In all honesty it was one of the worst RPG's I've ever played. Then again I don't play many RPG's so that might not mean much. Doesn't change the fact that I didn't care for the game on it's own merits though.

I'm not sure how to feel about it. I keep jumping back and forth from feeling very negative about it to very positive about it. The game shocked me more than anything else, and that's neither wholly negative or wholly positive. It's an extremely "grey" game for me. Maybe I just need time to get used to it.

The only things I can say for sure about it is that I feel it was a very unusual, experimental game, and that I thought it was too short.

Also, the game was NOT based on the SatAM world. .............Swat-bots were nothing but a reference to the show, and the Echidnas in the game were a blatent ripoff of the Dark Legion. Banished long ago? Check. Advanced technology? Check.

Swatbots were a SEGA creation, thought the Echidna legion was entirely Archie

So you admit that the Echidna's were basically BASED of the Dark Legion (Archie has the rights too) ......contradict much? XD

Actually, Bioware said they didn't read the comics until they'd already designed the Nocturnus Clan. Funny that. I thought the Nocturnus were awesome though. Shade is full of potential, even if she was a little dry.

Actually, Bioware said they didn't read the comics until they'd already designed the Nocturnus Clan. Funny that. I thought the Nocturnus were awesome though. Shade is full of potential, even if she was a little dry.

I don't believe that statement for a second, the connections and similiarities were too great in number to be a coincidence.

Because an evil technological society that disappeared out of nowhere is such an ORIGINAL concept, right?