Awoo.

what do you think of Sonic the character?

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I'll explain the best I can.

Sonic is always that guy who saves the world from Dr. Eggman and he does it like if a caveman can do it. He has a free personality and can be a jerk in a good way. That's what I like about him. Because he goes by one law, the Sonic law. He cares in his own way.

In the Japanese games and anime, he sounds angry when his friends are being threatned because it's like Sonic to be angry because he has a close relationship with his friends. (maybe, not so much Amy anymore. he's only act close to her when he feels like it) In English he sounds like "my friends are taken away?? Eh, no problem I can do anything". It's also like him as well.

Plus he is not afraid of alot of things except for water. I love the easy going characters and this is why Sonic is my favorite Sonic character. I play the games for him. What do you think?? Do you like the character?

• Thumbs Up 8

I loved how Sonic was in Sonic Colors because he was funny and had a big ego! I hated how he was in Sonic Rivals because he came off as a big bully rather than having a big ego but everyone was a big bully in that game so I can't blame him

I loved how Sonic was in Sonic Colors because he was funny and had a big ego! I hated how he was in Sonic Rivals because he came off as a big bully rather than having a big ego but everyone was a big bully in that game so I can't blame him

You would hate him even more in Sonic Chronicles then. I know that game got a Japanese release but I don't know if the dialogue was changed to actually make him in-character.

In English, the gratuitous jerk he's been morphed into is nothing more or less than a disservice to the character.

But as I said, I personally consider truly bad portrayals of Sonic moot and that's only helped by either said games being non-canon (2006, Chronicles) or the questionable canonicity of specific plot lines that exaggerate Sonic's personality into sheer obnoxiousness for no good reason (Shadow the Hedgehog)

You would hate him even more in Sonic Chronicles then. I know that game got a Japanese release but I don't know if the dialogue was changed to actually make him in-character.

In English, the gratuitous jerk he's been morphed into is nothing more or less than a disservice to the character.

But as I said, I personally consider truly bad portrayals of Sonic moot and that's only helped by either said games being non-canon (2006, Chronicles) or the questionable canonicity of specific plot lines that exaggerate Sonic's personality into sheer obnoxiousness for no good reason (Shadow the Hedgehog)

I thought Sonic Chronicles was a bad game anyway ^^

I thought that Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 did him good because he saved people like it was nothing but I didn't like from playing other games how he almost fell in love.

Shadow the Hedgehog, he was okay but he was too annoying for that type of game

I think the problem I personally have with 2006 Sonic is how utterly bland he is. Sure there's some small positive points like the manner in which he acts like Elise's rock in a way and gives her 'advice' in the way only he can but man was he boring in that game, showing very little exuberance and I can't believe how incompetent he was.

• Thumbs Up 4

The sad and funny thing is about Sonic in 06's was, it wasn't until he died that he suddenly became the important protagonist he was supposed to be.

I think the problem I personally have with 2006 Sonic is how utterly bland he is. Sure there's some small positive points like the manner in which he acts like Elise's rock in a way and gives her 'advice' in the way only he can but man was he boring in that game, showing very little exuberance and I can't believe how incompetent he was.

after I played the other games after Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 I can see what your saying and I can agree

Frankly? He's my favorite character in the series... well, the Unleashed and Black Knight versions of him anyway. The rest...? Ehh. They're kinda varying in my eyes, like Lost World coming slightly close but feeling a lot to be desired, or Heroes feeling like it didn't have enough... depth. Still, I tend to be able to emotionally relate to Sonic at times, long to be like the portrayals of him I love and heck, I kind of try, too!

(The below is just a paragraphed version of my profile text, filled up)

Sonic, in Unleashed, is depicted as an easy-going optimistic guy who looks at the brighter side of every situation... Like I've said, I'd like to be one like that. He's still never devoid of his trademark attitude, however, being his cocky self when it comes to people like Eggman, while leaving room for showing emotion and care for his friends; Chip and his friendship and Sonic actually accepting a date from Amy (which, looking at Black Knight, I believe to be canon) come to mind. He's very much definitely the same Sonic as in previous games, but something feels noticeably chill about him - to this, I answer with this quote. "Yeah, this is the real me! Pretty cool, huh?"

Going on with the being-who-he-really-is-and-being-proud-of-it thing, Black Knight provides one of my favorite portrayals of Sonic the Hedgehog. His attitude's more noticeable, with his snarky exchanges with Caliburn at times... But it's used in a heroic way as well, such as when Sonic goes to slay the dragon that Nimue (disguised as a kid) tells him about, saying he "plays by his own rules". Things like that... I really, really love it; I find it a holy matrimony of his heroics and his attitude.

In a nutshell... Maybe I don't really like the other interpretations of Sonic as much as I do Unleashed and Black Knight, but still, he's my favorite character of the series, and I really, really hope his characterization gets close to those two portrayals again someday.

• Thumbs Up 1

The sad and funny thing is about Sonic in 06's was, it wasn't until he died that he suddenly became the important protagonist he was supposed to be.

Exactly. Sonic actually has more true influence in the story dead than he ever did when he was alive. It's just one small point amongst quite a lot that shows how...'demeaned' Sonic was in 2006.

But then Secret Rings came along and set Sonic's characterization on the right track whilst utilizing him very well at the same time.

Forgive me if I am going off my own topic, I will mention other characters: I also like how Sonic can be an insperation to other characters. We know Tails inspires to be like Sonic from how he is. And he has grown as a character because of Sonic. But if I had to guess which character would like to be like Sonic would be Silver. He's a cute character who is unsure of himself and in Sonic Rivals he said "those blue and black hedgehogs are brave" also he was happy to be Sonic's rival in Sonic Generations. I think deep down, he wants to be a hero to his world like Sonic is to his. Sonic is confident and strong I think Silver wants to be like him. I think Amy also inspires to be like Sonic because she wants to go on the adventures. I think that should replace her old goal of chasing Sonic and instead try to adventure more like Sonic. He also did the same with Blaze as well. 

I know off topic but it's another thing I like about Sonic is that he can inspire other characters.

• Thumbs Up 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXkLK1Xxng

I want to share my favorite protrayal (did i say it right?)

It's spelled 'portrayal' but your sentence makes complete sense :D

I still think that these scenes in Sonic and the Black Knight encapsulates what makes Sonic for me;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4QnN1ZbcHc

Pure, undistilled awesome and sparkling examples of establishing character moments for Sonic as far as I'm concerned. They truly do put-across Sonic's attitude to heroism and the way he abides by his feelings, abides by his heart in regards to handling things. I'll always respect this game for the way it portrayed the character.

• Thumbs Up 6

I thought Sonic Chronicles was a bad game anyway ^^

I thought that Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 did him good because he saved people like it was nothing but I didn't like from playing other games how he almost fell in love.

All of Sonic's personality/character disappears the moment after game-play starts, and once it does he's just a generic hero guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

While not a deep or compelling character by any means, his actions are usually entertaining and he has an attitude that I just can't help but like. Sonic will always remain as one of my favorite fictional characters.

To be honest, the most thought I've ever given towards Sonic conciously was the fact that his colour scheme consists of red, white and blue. Which considering the demographs he's most primarily marketed towards...

american-flag-500x500.jpg

Flagbig.GIF

australia.gif

...strikes me as a pretty concious decision on Sega's part, which is the kind of symbolism I'm kind of a big fan of.

is Archie Sonic good?

He's more or less the same than his game portrayal. He's about as selfless and heroic as he his but he also goes through a more romantic side, which we really haven't seen in Sonic. The current writer, Ian Flynn, is doing a pretty good job on keeping the personality of the lovable blue hedgehog. 

There's no true way for me to describe the Blue Blur other than "way past cool."

398px-Classic_sonic_foldarms.svg.png

modern_sonic_edit__2_by_super_hedgehog-d

I love everything about Sonic the Hedgehog: his Classic and Modern designs, the fact that he's the color blue, all the voice actors who brought the character to life, his burning sense of justice, carefree, fun-loving attitude: best character in the series, without a doubt.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like Black Knight Sonic best because chilli dogs were canon he seemed more heroic in that game then from the 06 'reboot' or after. He was willing to put aside the current task at hand to help people who needed help (the video of him saving the girl not listening to Caliburn is a good example of this)

• Thumbs Up 2

is Archie Sonic good?

I tend not to like Archie Sonic because they tend to compromise his redeeming aspects a bit too much, making him temperamental and borderline vindictive to even some allies. They also sometimes overblow his flaws to be overconsistent and reliant on being repremended constantly, usually for the sake of the 'abrasive male vs rational female' dynamic he has with Sally. Add to that most of the other heroes in the media are much more level headed and rarely have their flaws cause as many problems as him (compared to the games where he's no more of a goofball than everyone else), he's almost like a manchild in a bunch of sensible young adults (Satam had this problem too, but at least he had goofier Antoine and Dulcy to fall back on).

A lot of medias tend to have a problem balancing Sonic's good and bad points, he's either blandly goody goody and borderline infallible (eg. Sonic X, Heroes era) or a borderline jock jerk who constantly needs his ego checked (eg. Sonic the Comic, Satam to some degree). The recent games (as well as SA1/2) I think have been the nearest to getting him just right, Lost World in particular put both his positive and negative traits on full display, and even gave him clear moments of weakness that didn't compromise too much of his personality (eg. losing his cool and showing a display of temper, but retaining a sense of self control and 'Beware The Nice Ones' tone to it). They also displayed his ego problem in a manner that didn't make me want to punch him in the face, something that I praise given his track record in other medias.