Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Winter Games

Woun

More Gameplay footage. (Off-screen)

Really like the detail in the Dual figure-skating. Though I wish they had more control options in mind for it. Here's hoping that it's current controls won't be too cumbersome for one guy.

Edited by Midnight Pink YoshiUnity

Unfortunately, it looks like they're confirmed not to be allowed. All of the potential humor for Bowser and Eggman showing off their gracefulness together...wasted. sad.png

This is so wrong in many cases, just so wrong.

I'm not angry because I can't use my OTP, I'm not disappointed because it's a gay rights issue or anything relating to that matter (because it has nothing to do with it, though I kind of wonder with the recent flare-up in Sochi and the controversy surrounding it I wonder if that's the reason why it's not allowed.)

I am angry because the Mario and Sonic series took away the right that allowed people to do things that they couldn't normally do in the real Olympics. They took a huge step forward with the Wii version (London Games) when they allowed all genders to compete in Ribbon Dancing and Synchronized Swimming.

Then they took a huge step back in the 3DS version when they limited certain events to certain teams only. Funny how the girls only team only got the sports stereotypically classified to women - gymnastics mostly. Their teams didn't allow free-range of the events like Peach couldn't shoot or Eggman couldn't do balance beam. What message are we sending out to people when we try to limit them to stereotypes?

I am not buying this game. I will protest it on the reason that there should be equality and the right of the player to pick free-range, after all it is fantasy.

I suggest that someone should hack into the game and upload a patch that corrects the problem, I dunno. I don't care if you think I am taking this issue too seriously because it is a game - that's what I'm getting at, it is a game. I should have the right to pick whoever the hell I want.

Edited by Scheming Minor

Just found where Wiiz got those pics. Nintendo Europe has finally made a product page for the game, with lots of new screenshots and new Shadow and Donkey Kong artwork.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Mario-Sonic-at-the-Sochi-2014-Olympic-Winter-Games-817655.html#Overview

The Nintendo page has more pics than Wiiz.

I like this pic best:

WiiU_MarioAndSonicattheOlympicWinterGame

• Thumbs Up 1

This is what I don't get - you get to pick mixed couples for Dream Skating, but it is limited for Skating Couples? Something seems suspicious and fishy, like the IOC meddling in game affairs fishy.

You might be sick of hearing about it, but the concern is legitimate and I still have a lot of unanswered questions. Does anyone know if they can ask a representative of SEGA or Nintendo why it is limited?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just found where Wiiz got those pics. Nintendo Europe has finally made a product page for the game, with lots of new screenshots and new Shadow and Donkey Kong artwork.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Mario-Sonic-at-the-Sochi-2014-Olympic-Winter-Games-817655.html#Overview

The Nintendo page has more pics than Wiiz.

I like this pic best:

WiiU_MarioAndSonicattheOlympicWinterGame

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells

Jingle all the way,

Oh what fun it is to ride

in a two bullet bill open sleigh,

HEY!

• Thumbs Up 1

Details on two new modes - Legends Showdown and Action & Answer Tour:

Away from the individual events, the Legends Showdown mode is designed for those who want to experience the deeper Mario & Sonic world. In this mode, 20 characters join forces to compete in an ultimate showdown, and it’s down to you to strategise and select which character will be put forward for each event. Come out on top in each of the five areas and defeat their respective Bosses to aim for the coveted Legend Trophy, earning different rewards as you complete areas.

Meanwhile, an all-new party mode set up for multiplayer fun is the Action & Answer Tour, which is presented in the style of a TV quiz program and allows up to four players to compete against each other in minigames based on Olympic events. With the pressure on, you will need a mixture of quick reactions and observational skills to earn points and overcome your opponents – whoever has the most total points at the end wins!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/10/mario_and_sonic_at_sochi_2014_winter_games_confirmed_for_november_8th_release_in_europe

30.jpg

Gives me vibes like "what if mario and sonic happened in mario party if it happened in mario galaxy".

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the remixes. Hopefully another remix of Speed Highway and maybe we'll finally get At Dawn!

And... whatever the hell this is!

30.jpg

Oh, this building is based on Moscow's Saint Basil Cathedral mixed with Kremlin. And in the middle is entrance to Lenin's Mausoleum LOL (J/k).

This is what I don't get - you get to pick mixed couples for Dream Skating, but it is limited for Skating Couples? Something seems suspicious and fishy, like the IOC meddling in game affairs fishy.

You might be sick of hearing about it, but the concern is legitimate and I still have a lot of unanswered questions. Does anyone know if they can ask a representative of SEGA or Nintendo why it is limited?

A bunch of old codgers having sticks up their arse and enforcing their values over everything? Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that grass is green.

Honestly, I've suspected that this wasn't Nintendo or SEGA's call since this came up. Not with the same folks who would put out the Animal Crossing series.

A bunch of old codgers having sticks up their arse and enforcing their values over everything? Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that grass is green.

Honestly, I've suspected that this wasn't Nintendo or SEGA's call since this came up. Not with the same folks who would put out the Animal Crossing series.

I'm surprised that news of the limitations haven't spread further than it did. Some other people are complaining/joking about it on other boards as well ( jokes about how the Russian government got involved in Mario's and Sonic's party run rampant  -one of the best ones is that someone pointed out that Peach can skate with her kidnapper but isn't allowed to skate with Daisy) and perhaps since not too many people are interested in this series anymore that's why it hasn't gotten the coverage that it usually would (in contrast to Tomodachi Collection: New Life http://kotaku.com/rumor-bug-makes-gay-marriage-possible-in-nintendo-game-495814333 you had Miis where the glitch allowed same-sex couples to form, there was a patch to cover up the 'problem' because it was a bug and people were outraged and spammed Nintendo pictures of their same-sex couples.)

Perhaps when the game comes out people will find a way to patch this and then the activity might increase and some people would start answering questions. I would hope that someone makes a patch, but then again I would be egging on "illegal activity."

Nonetheless I have tweeted SEGA questioning about the matter and still I haven't received any answer. Perhaps I should be asking Nintendo?

Edited by Scheming Minor

I'm sure if they had an official response it'd just be something to the effect of "We felt we didn't want to go through making all the animation combinations"... though it does have me wonder what other minigames involve characters interacting at different heights.

Also, for every Animal Crossing that allows(or honestly seems to support) crossdressing, there's Pokemon X and Y, though I guess you could say "For every X & Y there's an Animal Crossing" instead if you'd like to be optimistic!

mario_sonic_sochi-10.jpg

My dreams dancing with Mario are OVER. sad.png THANKS homophobic Russia.

Edited by Autosaver

My dreams dancing with Luigi are OVER. sad.png THANKS homophobic Russia.

Fix'd

Also, I know you're joking around, but a loophole with the Miis is that you can change their genders if you actually cared that much, so yeah. There's that. I guess.

Edited by Haunted Haden

Hey your dreams are over, but mine have been realized! I can now skate with Peach or Amy!

Pff its Blaze and Daisy where its at