Awoo.

Depressing Moments in the Sonic series?

Soniman

I always found the destruction of Sky Sanctuary quite sad. Also Knuckles' panting after he helps you with the bridge. Sometimes I would hang around with him, for some reason I felt bad leaving him there!

I always found the character Void to be very depressing. But then that was point, Void was the personification of emptiness, still, something about the voice they gave him.... Makes me think of a little lost kid that just happens to be evil but is oblivious to that fact. Seriously, the guy seems to have no idea why everyone is picking on him. It was hard to fight him at the end just because I couldn't view him as an enemy.  It's like trying to punch a sad puppy in the face, maybe that puppy is the spawn of Cerberus but it's just so pitiful looking. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When mephiles killed sonic it almost made me cry and to this day it still does even though I had spoiled it for myself long before I got the game it made me almost  cry and only TotA had done that to me with its ending at that time but shadow the hedgehog's ending where shadow kills eggman is super depressing too though.

well, the ending of Sonic '06 is at least well directed.

I mean, the production values are good, or looks and sounds good at least, had some effort into it.

it almost tricks you into thinking that the game is good (is not).

Metal Sonic's death from the OVA, which I'd say is up there with SA1 death/sacrifice of Gamma. "There can only be one..." ;_;

Even Sonic himself for a while is distraught afterwards Metal willfully let himself be engulfed by the lava in order to make the above quote stand; despite that Sonic could had saved him. Even as Knuckles pointed out, Metal could had even pulled Sonic into the lava and saved himself, thus making him the last Sonic standing. The music only serves to how depressing this is. What dignity for an evil robot clone.

Add that to his badnessness from the earlier fight scene and in my opinion you've got the best Metal Sonic in the series, despite not being in any of the games.

Edited by Gabe the Elf
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

This piece of soundtrack from SLW is already depressing on its own...

...but the context is a billion time saddest

tumblr_mux6gdL93d1qk4vnwo7_500.png

tumblr_mvlwvy9jcX1sx18rto1_500.jpg

tumblr_muvk9vT6P81s9pusko1_500.png

(This will be the last time I bother you about how I cried like a waterfall at this part, I promise happy.png )

Sonic 4Ep2 - episode metal intro.

All that hard work In Sonic CD in getting the timestones, all the hard work of going to the past and destroying the machines and Metal sonic holograms, only to find out it was in vein as Ep4.2  P*****ed on history and made the bad future canon, which means Little Planet never broke free of eggman and ALL bad futures became true!!

Depressing

• Thumbs Up 3

Chaos' backstory and premise in Sonic Adventure; it's no surprise that he's riled up and angry by the time you'll see the last flashback.

...aaand yet there's another sad moment in SLW I want to elaborate.

You've already mentioned the bad ending in Sonic 2, where it's implied that Tails will forever be a guinea pig for Robotnik's devious experiments (or even worse, dead).

It's not canon of course, but think about it...

...because in Sonic's mind, as he meets RoboTails in

SLW, that bad ending (and his worst fear) became a reality.

tumblr_muxqo0VBEI1s9pusko1_500.png

We, as players and viewers, already know this is not the case, as Tails is just fooling the Zetis. But Sonic doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 1