Awoo.

Sonic & Tails

Nintendoga

When Eggman was about to fire his mind control ray at Sonic, Tails pushed him out the way, and took the hit for him. Mind you at the time he didn't know what the ray could do. Without a thought for himself, he saved Sonic's life with the possibility of him dying. That *to me I guess* shows a deep relationship between the two so much that Tails would do anything for Sonic. Sonic too, when he shoved Tails to safety, wanted him to be safe and alive, rather then possibly get hurt from Eggman. It's been stated tons of times before, but these plus other scenes show how much they care for each-other.

Great post! From the paragraph above to even the "Brofist" picture, you mentioned everything that I wanted to mention in this topic...now I have to find something else to say. tongue.png

So in my determination to contribute something here I found this from Sonic Generations:

This cutscene had two gestures I noticed: the high-five between Classic Tails and Modern Sonic and when the Time Eater came to get the Chaos Emerald Modern Sonic put his arm out in a protective manner in front of Classic Tails.

As quick as it was, it was great to see those moments of friendship and brotherhood between Sonic and Tails.

The friendship between Sonic and Tails I think is wonderful yet very underrated. When you consider how quick one is to point out the flaws and negative things in the series, the positive aspect of Sonic and Tails' friendship needs more recognition. I only hope that Sega continues to demonstrate it with the games in the future.

Edited by Sonikku_Kiah

but why do they always say 'long time no see.' jk but seriously what was the last game that used this line, '06?

The Sonic and Tails bromance is my favorite part about the writing in Colors. It makes me feel so warm and fluffy inside.

• Thumbs Up 1

And it still hasn't prevented Tails from becoming more and more like cardboard in terms of character, in my eyes. :/

• Thumbs Up 2

And it still hasn't prevented Tails from becoming more and more like cardboard in terms of character, in my eyes. :/

You have reptile vision when it comes to this series.

• Thumbs Up 5

Only thing I want to see is Tails, whether in the Tornado or out, using his wits and strengths to bail Sonic out of a jam. As I mentioned in a previous topic discussing the sidekicks: Tails has a goddamned armed and armoured biplane. Sonic's speed and spikes aren't going to be effective against everything unless he's Super, but a couple rockets or a burst of laser fire sure would help.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's not that. It's all well and good giving them all this bromance and stuff, but what good is it when a character fails to stand on their own merits? I find Blaze tends to bounce off other characters (like Sonic, Cream, Silv--*pow*) well, but I don't like her when it comes to her own qualities, so I don't like her.

Ugh, I don't like the term bromance, it's freaking.....nevermind. Anyway, it's only been like this because Tails is the ONLY other anthro character there.

Oh okay I admit it, the Colors writers did something right besides ear grating jokes, if they can tone down the cringe worthy humor then their writing will be ace. Still, I'd like to see how OTHER characters interact with eachother besides Sonic, that would be very cool to see.

Oh okay I admit it, the Colors writers did something right besides ear grating jokes, if they can tone down the cringe worthy humor then their writing will be ace.

They have already toned it down in Generations. I didn't realize it was the same writers until before the final boss with Eggman. Wether you think it's 'ace' or not is up to the person.

But yeah, I would also like to see Sonic build relationships/friendships with the other characters, too.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

They have already toned it down in Generations. I didn't realize it was the same writers until before the final boss with Eggman. Wether you think it's 'ace' or not is up to the person.

But yeah, I would also like to see Sonic build relationships/friendships with the other characters, too.

Actually, I said I wanted OTHER characters to interact with each other. not just with Sonic.

Actually, I said I wanted OTHER characters to interact with each other. not just with Sonic.

I want that, too. I agree.

@Laharl: I'm well aware of those, I'm just saying it'd be nice to see it more in the newer games.

I think this just made my day. :') Great topic.

Sonic and Tails interactions have to be one of my favorite things about any Sonic game. I really, truly can't think of much to add other than what's already been said. I loved their relationship in the Adventures, Heroes, the Riders series, Colors, and Generations. Colors especially did an absolutely stellar job of this. Even subtler things like their expressions and gestures at each other show off their relationship so well, and really make ya believe it. They say things to each other naturally, without a second thought as to how it sounds, because they know each other so well and are so close. It's ironic how the most casual, relaxed exchanges can speak of the deepest and most loving friendships.

And despite Sonic being the 'big brother' in the picture here, it is clearly established that Tails is just as willing to protect Sonic as Sonic is Tails. It gives a lot of credit to Tails as a character, and to the mutuality of their brothership. And as the original poster said, Tails had no way of KNOWING what would happen when he was struck, but it didn't matter, because at the end of the day Tails's love for his older brother outweighs anything that might happen to himself. And later in the game, Sonic makes it clear that he feels exactly the same way toward Tails. In fact, I dare say all THROUGHOUT the game as well as throughout Generations, Sonic makes this clear. Even when he doesn't have a protective arm instinctively out in fron tof the fox, he is almost always standing slightly in front of him, as if subconsciously placing himself in between Tails and whatever threat might arise. He wants to keep Tails safe, yet at the same time, never acts as if Tails is a burden to him for being there - he appreciates his help and his presence.

Honestly, it's got to be my favorite relationship out of any video game.

• Thumbs Up 8

I actually like that the Sonic/Tails brother relationship has been explored more as of late. Recent games, Colors especially, make it seem a lot more believable than most other titles, and it feels like Tails' role as Sonic's sidekick is being quickly re-established. It'd be nice if more games did the Sonic 4 Episode 2 thing and had Tails tag along or (gasp) be playable.

But they really are one of the quintessential videogame duos, like the Mario Brothers. Even their designs look great side by side. Orange is blue's complementary color.

colorwheel.gif

This kind of protectiveness is also prevalent in Generations. Namely in the scrapped CGI cutscene in GHZ with the Time Eater appearing there (Again, BOTH Sonic's appear to shield both Tails') and one of the story cutscenes in the final game that shows Modern Sonic jumping in front of Classic Tails and shielding him when the Time Eater appears in that white void

While I agree with your post in general, there's no real evidence, to my knowledge, that shows the CGI cutscene of Sonic/Tails and the Time Eater was ever going to be used in-game, or that it was "scrapped." That scene was most likely made for promotional materials only.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't when it came to Tails being bland on his own merits, but...

But they really are one of the quintessential videogame duos, like the Mario Brothers. Even their designs look great side by side. Orange is blue's complementary color.

colorwheel.gif

...I think I can work with this.

XSLSk.jpg

SEGA, why didn't you keep Tails so orange? It's not a massive detail I'll rant over, but it was nice when the colours were perfectly complimentary.

And why'd you give me more fuel for my obsession? That's suicide.

It's not that. It's all well and good giving them all this bromance and stuff, but what good is it when a character fails to stand on their own merits? I find Blaze tends to bounce off other characters (like Sonic, Cream, Silv--*pow*) well, but I don't like her when it comes to her own qualities, so I don't like her.

Aren't character merits based on their interactions with another? You can't expect one character to carry a story by themselves, isn't this part of the reason everyone is starting to dislike the newer games, the fact that Sonic hardly interacts with anybody?

Aren't character merits based on their interactions with another? You can't expect one character to carry a story by themselves, isn't this part of the reason everyone is starting to dislike the newer games, the fact that Sonic hardly interacts with anybody?

Not completely, no. While it's true that character relationships are the best way to improve a story's quality, it's also important to make the character likable on their own. Why would you be interested in how a character reacts towards others when you're not interested in their character in itself.

You can't expect one character to carry a story by themselves, isn't this part of the reason everyone is starting to dislike the newer games, the fact that Sonic hardly interacts with anybody?

More like disappointed then disliking it.

Edited by sonfan1984

In the 3DS version of the final boss of Sonic Generations both Modern Tails and Classic Tails got hurt protecting Modern Sonic & Classic Sonic.

Sorry to copypasta, but their friendship REALLY does make it seem as if Sonic and Tails are close brothers rather than close friends.

Only thing the bothers me is that up until Epi. II; Sonic Team hasn't really shown Tails entering the fray alongside Sonic, rather he would stand behind the sidelines , while becoming more of a geek who would just tell Sonic advice or give him directions on how he could achieve their objectives. Oh and there's Tails's wuss-out moment in Unleashed, not going to bother getting into that scene.

Not completely, no. While it's true that character relationships are the best way to improve a story's quality, it's also important to make the character likable on their own. Why would you be interested in how a character reacts towards others when you're not interested in their character in itself.

Ok, then maybe you just like more cartoony characters/