Awoo.

Should Mighty The Armadillo return?

I know there are other threads involving forgotten/scrapped characters, but this one has been with me for some time now. Should Mighty The Armadillo make a return into the Sonic franchise? Mighty is an armadillo that is said to have super speed and strength, and can perform the Spin Dash, and curl up into a ball to attack enemies like Sonic. Mighty has only appeared in two games, an arcade game, named SegaSonic The Hedgehog, and Knuckles' Chaotix, a game that came out on the Sega 32X, a failed add-on to the Genesis. In these two games, there's little shown of Mighty's in-game personality. Most of what we know of his personality is from official SEGA archives, and the Archie Comics, and to mention the Knuckles Chaotix instruction manual.

I'm a pretty big fan of Mighty, and I see lots of potential for him to appear in future games. Mighty was even one of the choices for being SEGA's mascot, the other being Sonic. Since both hedgehogs and armadillos can roll into balls. We all know what happened after that. An official character poll had been conducted by SEGA, and Mighty was the 10th most popular character in the series, showing most fans have not forgotten about him. I can see Mighty as a good friend of Sonic in the games, and possibly we could see Mighty rejoin the Chaotix. Some people see Mighty as simply a Sonic recolor, or cheap sprite edit. I don't believe that. If Mighty returns, he could potentially have a great comeback, and return as a popular character in the series.

State your opinion on whether Mighty should return or not. :3

• Thumbs Up 3

I would love to see Mighty return, but if they do that; they might as well make a full fledged comic based storyline (which would be so amazing if done right). Cuz that crap is complicated! I do love it though.

Edited by mcfly_hse

No, I don't think he should return. Everything about him is pretty redundant; I mean, really, what can he possibly do that Sonic isn't already able to?

• Thumbs Up 6

No, I don't think he should return. Everything about him is pretty redundant; I mean, really, what can he possibly do that Sonic isn't already able to?

Maybe his gimmick is rolling in 3D, since Sonic isn't all to keen on doing that anymore.

Edited by Grooseinator032
  • Thumbs Up 9

No. He's actually comparable to a lot of the shitty Sonic fan characters you can find on deviantART, he's a recolor and an incredibly boring take on an already existing character (Sonic).

Not to rain on the parade, but:

To my knowledge we don't know anything about the proposed armadillo design, so it's a bit much to presume that it bore anything more than a passing resemblance to Mighty.

This is literally the first time I've ever heard that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact you can't see that Mighty is just a Sonic sprite edit is pretty ridiculous. That's all he was in Arcade, and all he was in Chaotix too. Unlike Nack/Fang, he was scrapped without even being given a semblance of of a personality to begin with. There's really no need for him. Like, if they brought him back as new new character (ala the rest of the Chaotix) there wouldn't be a problem. But there's no need for him to return.

Not to rain on the parade, but:

This is literally the first time I've ever heard that.

I used to hear it all the time, and then gave up editing out the comment on Wikipedia because there's never been a citation. Would also like some proof.

Edited by Blue Blood

No.

Mighty is a boring character. He has little to no distinct personality, his only unique ability was a wall jump, which Sonic has since gained, and he is little more than a recolor. It's not impossible to turn him into a decent character, but it would require work roughly on par with creating a character from scratch, and considering the only benefit to bringing him back is pleasing his inexplicable fanbase, they need to balance making a character that isn't worthless with not changing him so much that they piss off the only reason they're bothering with him.

To my knowledge we don't know anything about the proposed armadillo design, so it's a bit much to presume that it bore anything more than a passing resemblance to Mighty.

Well, you're wrong.

Edawh.gif

That's a MIGHTY fine argument you bring up!

Get it? *nudge nudge*

Eh? Ehhhhhh...

Eh.

>__>

I say keep Mighty in the cameo department unless they plan on expanding upon his character traits and abilities, because right now he doesn't amount to much.

• Thumbs Up 7

No.

Mighty is a boring character. He has little to no distinct personality, his only unique ability was a wall jump, which Sonic has since gained, and he is little more than a recolor. It's not impossible to turn him into a decent character, but it would require work roughly on par with creating a character from scratch, and considering the only benefit to bringing him back is pleasing his inexplicable fanbase, they need to balance making a character that isn't worthless with not changing him so much that they piss off the only reason they're bothering with him.

Well, you're wrong.

Edawh.gif

I know that Mighty's and Sonic's sprites are similar. :/ But I'm ticked at the people who say Mighty sucks because of it. I still disagree with the opinion of Mighty being a Sonic recolor.

To help back this up, it indeed had NO RESEMBLANCE whatsoever:

2drf1tt.jpg

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 8

I know that Mighty's and Sonic's sprites are similar. :/ But I'm ticked at the people who say Mighty sucks because of it. I still disagree with the opinion of Mighty being a Sonic recolor.

When they say recolour, they don't mean it totally literally. More in the sense that "he's clearly an edit, with no discernible personality or unique traits". That's why he sucks.

I still disagree with the opinion of Mighty being a Sonic recolor.

It's not really an opinion. Especially since he appears to be unrelated to the original armadillo design.

Hm. That's the first time I've ever seen that.

Though it honestly isn't the OP's fault, because everywhere I can think of that you could go to research Mighty outright says that his design was in the running against Sonic. That's what it says on Retro, for example.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

Even though that first idea sounds nice...... Ehhhhh it is kinda safe to stay in their nice nook of good games. Keep Sonic as Sonic. Maybe I've been reading the comic too much.

Same eyes, same belly marking, same tan arms, very similar long noses, very similar shoe designs of identical color...

Mighty, if not exactly a recolour, is still pretty much a shameless aping of Sonic's design. And considering that the overwhelming majority of his sprites in Chaotix were Sonic's to begin with, where exactly is his distinctiveness? All he is is Sonic with a more constructed way of travelling, a more pacifistic temperament and supposedly greater physical strength than the Blue Blur. And I think that those traits aren't really interesting enough to set him apart from being a Sonic V1.1

I really loved Mighty back in '95 when I was playing Chaotix. He was even my favourite character in that game. Looking back now, I can see that I was playing as him because he was, essentially, Sonic. That and I liked his shiny shell...

But no. Like the others have said, I'm afraid I don't really see any need for him to come back.

I know that Mighty's and Sonic's sprites are similar. :/ But I'm ticked at the people who say Mighty sucks because of it.
It is one reason of many why he sucks.

I still disagree with the opinion of Mighty being a Sonic recolor.
Unless you're objecting in a technical sense (as Mighty requires some editing in addition to recoloring), you really have no grounds to disagree. It's not an opinion, it's an objective fact.

*snip*

Huh, that's interesting. Nice to have some confirmation of that.

I thought it was Shadow? *ba-dum-tss*
Honestly as much as I bash Shadow even he is above Mighty. He's got a defined personality (even if it hasn't always been done well), unique abilities (even if they haven't always been available in game, and he never settled into a clear gameplay style using them), and his design...well his design is pretty much equal, but the rest of it's true. Edited by Diogenes

Well, you're wrong.

Edawh.gif

Not to mention he even has Sonic's iconic foot-tapping animation on the Knuckles Chaotix title screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nbe9tG-FZ8

So not only is he a complete sprite hack, but he even borrows some of the small inconsiquential things and uses them in his original sprites. Unless of course the title screen sprite was originally Sonic (which considering Mighty was originally Sonic in Chaotix, this is possible).

SEGA has enough of a diffuclt time making good use out of the huge active cast they have now. I really don't think they should be digging up old characters.

If they wanted to bring him back, they'd either be working with an exact Sonic duplicate, or creating something from scratch, since basically everything unique about him is in the comics or ascribed to him by fans.

armadillovsmighty.jpg

Shrugging Girl is right. Clearly Mighty was originally this guy. Check out the angry expression, the long nose and the fact that one is called Mighty while the other looks Mighty. It's a no brainer!

Or more seriously, I'm glad that was put to rest. Silly rumours be dammed. There's nothing in common between them beyond the simple fact they armadillos and related to the Sonic series somehow. It's no real basis.

Mighty himself is irrefutably just a clone. He and Ray were originally designed as them, and that exactly why he was in Chaotix. Making Sprites isn't easy, so they already had a full Sonic set they could just edit into someone else. Done deal. I want to hear a legitimate argument for him to be brought back into the series.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mighty has to be the most overrated character in the franchise. Honestly there's no reason for him to return aside from if there's a Knuckles' Chaotix 2 or something. He's basically just a flightless Knuckles whose game appearances depicted no real personality to go off of aside from the comics, which if they did that then there would likely be flamewars for making the comics the real canon. I really see no real reason for him returning at all unless maybe if there's some Chaotix game but even then that's highly unlikely.