Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

PSI Wind

The problem is that this game's art just looks so glossy. It looks nothing like Majora's Mask. I AM happy that they didn't retreat to The Wind Waker's look. That would've been far worse. I didn't mind the game itself, but the characters just looked ugly as hell. This game is more colorful, but its too bright. I wouldn't mind a slight cel-shaded look, but they tried too hard for it. I hope they can fix the textures later.

Either way, I'm cautiously optimistic. I've never been let down by a Zelda game before, and I'm definitely feeling a little better after seeing that it isn't the dreaded Celda.

Right so I forgot a few enemies and characters. Point taken :P

Though I still think MM is much more surreal looking.

That might have something to do with the fact that it is.

Edited by UltimaHedgie

I don't see why so many people seem to point fingers at Majora's Mask as the first game they expected this game to look like, the art style of this game looks like LttP only in 3D and really pretty looking, I like it. It's a little cheesy I'll admit, I know when I first saw Link I cringed a bit, but it looks great in-game.

Tbh this could easily look very surreal and creepy at times. Don't base the atmosphere of the whole game by one mushroomy forest.

I don't see why so many people seem to point fingers at Majora's Mask as the first game they expected this game to look like, the art style of this game looks like LttP only in 3D and really pretty looking, I like it. It's a little cheesy I'll admit, I know when I first saw Link I cringed a bit, but it looks great in-game.

I didn't expect it took like like MM, if anything I was expecting TP. I was hoping it would look like the former though because it's by far my favorite game ever and something with the potential to do what it did but better would be great in my book.

I honestly found Twilight Princess' realistic look a bit off-putting. I grew up mainly with the Game Boy games and didn't play most of the console entries in the series until later, meaning that this:

link.jpg

...is still what I think of whenever I think of Link. This game has all the interest from me that Twilight Princess never got. Graphically, it's exactly what I wanted.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't grow up with those games but that's my favourite Link design by far, so I fully agree. I've always wanted to see a 3D Link looking as bit more like that.

zelda_wind_waker_boss_feu.jpg

Is everybody forgetting some of the atmosphere in The Wind Waker? The cel shading caused the dungeons to have some amazing lighting which I think Twilight Princess was really lacking - the atmosphere in Wind Waker's dungeons was so wonderfully thick, and I saw a few shots in the Skyward Sword trailers which looked to have a similar effect. I've missed that atmosphere ever since WW ended, now I'm excited to have it back.

Hey guys, sorry to double post but I just noticed something...

The trailers end with Link diving off of a cliff into the blue, with the logo appearing in the clouds... I also remember Aonuma talking about transport... Maybe Link has a glider or wings or something?

Well it is called Skyward Sword.

Also when Link jumped off the cliff did anyone else think "The Gods of Death Mountain have abandoned me." in their head? :lol:

Edited by speedfreak

Hey guys, sorry to double post but I just noticed something...

The trailers end with Link diving off of a cliff into the blue, with the logo appearing in the clouds... I also remember Aonuma talking about transport... Maybe Link has a glider or wings or something?

Yeah, I remember how they teased the idea of Link having a way to fly, which explains why he'd do that.

Also, I was hoping to see the Pegasus Boots in this game, but it's not even necessary now. Link already has a dash function- and he can really haul ass. I want to see what other abilities he has. I'm also wondering what the D-Pad's going to be used for now that items are condensed to one slot. Camera control, perhaps? Or maybe something else. I'm to expect they have a function, considering they show up on the Wii-mote hud here.

CgVW3.jpg

Actually, that hud is the only thing I can complain about so far. It's a little cumbersome looking, don't you think?

It's more the size than anything. It takes up quite a bit of the screen. Really, they could just remove the Wii Remote and nunchuk and leave the buttons there.

I'm sort of hoping it's just like that as a tutorial thing for casual and first-time players. Hopefully it'll be toggleable in the options menu.

So much hate for the art style O_O. I LOVED Wind Wakers art style (Hell, it still looks amazing!) and this is almost better.

I think people will warm up to the art like a lot of us did with Wind Waker. Most people who are disappointed at this point probably had an idea as to what they wanted it to look like that ended up different from the final product. In time, however, they'll probably grow to like it more.

I think it's a pretty agreeable mesh of styles. And I love how it starts to look like a painting the farther back things get.

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20100615103757173_640w.jpg

It's a very unique approach.

Edited by The Soldier

I honestly think it's the best looking Zelda yet. It's absolutely gorgeous. (I'm a Graphic Designer by the way :P)

As for the HUD, remember most Zelda games HUDs have changed after their E3 demos. I'm pretty certain that's just for the demo and that they will tone it down.

Honestly, guys, I STILL hate Wind Waker's art style. I didn't mind the game, but I did far prefer Twilight Princess. I like how this game uses more realistic models... I just don't care for the cel-shading. I think they took it a bit too far and the models look way to glossy and clay-like. If they can fix up the clay-like character models I'll probably like it a bit better.

The other issue is that I'm tired of all the cheesy childish, "toon" graphics. We got something nice in Twilight Princess with a darker, more realistic atmosphere and everything pointed to this game following the same trend. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask looked nice, Wind Waker ruined the realistic approach. Twilight Princess came around and brought it back to OoT, only ten times better. Then they add the cel-shading here.

I still think its not as bad as WW... I'm just disappointed. That and the models, although more realistic that WW, are all mucked up.

Ya know, do you forgot this is just ONE location of the game. (and we haven't even count if it gonna have nighttime).

Wind wake, even if it had a drastic change, had some pretty looking enviroments outside the over cheerfullyness.

You are complainign and what could be the first lcoation of the game. What happends if there's another much darker location later in the game, huh?

My opinion. I like it, it's a good mix between WW colorful style and TP non-chibi style. Also the gameplay loks glorious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still no story details? They said they would explain that artwork at this years E3. I want to know about Master Sword girl already Nintendo! I'm sick of your damn waiting game! No 2010 release and not a single plot detail is really pissing me off after showing that art last year and then going silent. >: (

Edited by speedfreak

I think people will warm up to the art like a lot of us did with Wind Waker. Most people who are disappointed at this point probably had an idea as to what they wanted it to look like that ended up different from the final product. In time, however, they'll probably grow to like it more.

This this this, a million times this.

I feel like people are misunderstanding me and thinking I hate the art style, and that couldn't possibly be farther from the case. I think it's an absolutely gorgeous game, an extremely unique look, and I love it. I just had a very different idea of what it would be - what my ideal Zelda would look like - and I was a bit disappointed that I was wrong. But disappointment does not mean dislike.

My biggest worry is that with this lighthearted and cartoony art style, the story will be reflective of that. I was hoping for something as masterful as Majora's Mask but I get the feeling we won't see that this time around.

Wind Waker was actually really serious, just hidden under a more lighthearted theme. I mean, Gannon goes literally fucking insane at the end, and simply wishes to kill Link and Tetrazelda.

Legend of Zelda games don't have small, light stories. They will always have large, convoluted plots that will be involve people dying.

Also this looks like Twilight Princess meets Wind Waker meets OoT which can only result in awesome so why are you worried.

The other issue is that I'm tired of all the cheesy childish, "toon" graphics. We got something nice in Twilight Princess with a darker, more realistic atmosphere and everything pointed to this game following the same trend. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask looked nice, Wind Waker ruined the realistic approach. Twilight Princess came around and brought it back to OoT, only ten times better.

Except that relatively speaking, TP completely bombed in Japan sales-wise. The Japanese public didn't particularly care for the art style nor how similar it was to OoT.

The art style choice in Skyward Sword seems to be an attempt to balance the two extremes so the title sells well across all territories, but already Unpleaseable Fanbase Syndrome has kicked in given the divided reactions to the visuals.

Frankly it's ridiculous because this has got to be the most beautiful-looking Zelda game ever made already. In fact I got a mild Okami vibe from the visuals when I watched the trailer.

Legend of Zelda games don't have small, light stories. They will always have large, convoluted plots that will be involve people dying.

Yeah and usually it doesn't matter at all and makes no impact on how twisted it really is because you don't really grow attached to the NPCs. Not like in Majora's Mask, that's the reason it becomes so dark. The mindset created in others is "Oh, people are dying... k... better beat the game." The mindset in MM is "Wow, I really need to save these people."

Also this looks like Twilight Princess meets Wind Waker meets OoT which can only result in awesome so why are you worried.

I'm not worried it'll be a bad game, I'm worried it's not going to be the best Zelda yet. Also I have no idea why you think just because the art is nice the rest of it should be great but...

Anyway this is kind of beating a dead horse. As has been pointed out, the game could definitely get more surreal towards the end like I wanted. And it'll fantastic either way. Just a little gripe.

Wind Waker was actually really serious, just hidden under a more lighthearted theme. I mean, Gannon goes literally fucking insane at the end, and simply wishes to kill Link and Tetrazelda.

The problem with most folks is that the don't look outside the box, they take a look and think it's some kid's fairy tale. A lot of people lake any real sense or imagination and only go based on first glances.

It's weird, the first time i heard about wind waker was in some catalog book, it had WW Link posing with his sword and 2 screens from the game. But I saw the tech demo for the gamecube before seeing the wind waker and was psyched for the game either way, because I knew a good zelda game was coming =) no matter the art style.

More details.

-Zelda development is in the final stretch. A few more bosses and dungeons being worked on

-Final scene in Zelda trailer is very important. Game takes place in a floating land called Skyloft

-Link finds out about another land beneath the clouds

-The land is ruled by evil. Link is forced to go there. Link travels between the two lands

So is it confirmed to be about the creation of the Master Sword? Because it says the Skyward Sword becomes it (In which case, isn't that kind of a big spoiler?). If the Master Sword really is from Skyloft, it could be interesting if Link was too. I'm assuming the other land they speak of is Hyrule so that could be a cool origins story.

Now if it isn't Hyrule, we might not see Ganon at all! That's good with me.

• Thumbs Up 1