E3 2014 has come to a close, and what a week it was for our blue hedgehog. In case you missed anything, Sum-Up Sunday is here to catch you up on all the big headlines that you might have missed. Tons of new footage from Sonic Boom, plenty of interviews, a trio of new trailers, and even a movie announcement. Check it all out below:
- Over five minutes of promotional footage provided by SEGA for Sonic Boom was uploaded, giving us full quality and sound. Hear the little snippets of dialogue between the characters as they rush through speedy areas and fight off enemies.
- Take a look at the Sonic Boom banner that was displayed proudly at the E3 convention centre. Hopefully it helped to drum up a little more interest for people to go try out the upcoming title.
- Sonic Jump Fever, a sequel to the original Sonic Jump title, is coming soon to iOS and Android devices. It will feature a more dynamic action and combos, and doesn’t yet have a release date for any region… what? What do you mean it’s already out in Canada?
- A trio of E3 trailers came out for the three areas of Sonic Boom. First is Rise of Lyric with some epic movie style narration, second came Shattered Crystal showing off the gameplay and character’s unique abilities, and finally the TV show which gives us an idea of the type of ham Eggman eats.
- Some new concept art showed up for Sonic Boom for both Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal, giving a look at some of the environments – like sprawlingly tall trees in a jungle/forest, and some enemy designs.
- And the big one – Sony Pictures confirmed that they were making a live action/CGI mix Sonic the Hedgehog movie! It won’t just be one though. It’ll be the beginning of an annual release movie franchise.
- TSS begin their coverage of E3 with our hands-on preview of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, thanks to our own Jason Berry. Give it a read, it’s a good one that goes into plentiful of gameplay details and more.
- Also, get a good look at the giant range of toys launching alongside the Sonic Boom franchise. Plushes, action figures, and Sonic figures with articulated joints to make them look like they’re from The Exorcist.
- Is that Metal Sonic in Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal? Eagle eye viewers brought to our attention that he’s most certainly there, clear as day; is it a random cameo, or is it something more? He’s had no design changes seemingly…
- Gamespot had a preview of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, and re-uploaded their footage clean. You can see a few more of the cutscenes, where you can see Sonic and Knuckles’ rivalry has been re-ignited, and Amy has become quite the confident member for the team.
- Take a look at the Sonic Boom blackboard at E3. The video gives a look at the whole thing which Tails makes notes upon, which also includes the team’s individual little cameos made in their own respective colours.
- We also got a hands on preview of Sonic Jump Fever. It’s definitely looking like a notable improvement on the original and it feels significantly less “empty” than it did before.
- As E3 draws to close, TSS has another hands on preview – this time, with the 3DS version of Sonic Boom. This one is far more akin to a traditional Sonic experience than it’s big brother on the Wii U, with exploration also being a key element.
- Finally, we have an interview with Sonic Boom producer Stephen Frost. Stephen goes into a lot of neat details about the game in our 16 minute interview, so sit down and enjoy it with a nice hot drink. I normally go for tea.
And that’s all for this week – so much stuff happened! Phew. Tell us what you thought was the most exciting development of the week in the comments, and what you’re looking forward to most now you’ve seen more from Sonic Boom – the Wii U version, the 3DS version, or the TV show. Until next year and a new Sonic title, E3!