UPDATE: The full patch notes have been added to the bottom of this article.
While we love Sonic Origins here at Stadium, there’s no denying that bits of that collection released rough. Sometimes palette change animations would freeze, sometimes the game would forget that you’ve collected all the Super Emeralds, and sometimes Tails’ AI in Sonic 2 would fail to despawn him when he’s too far away, causing him to run into a wall and jump. And jump. And jump. And jump. Until you relive the PTSD of your 5-year-old sibling taking the second controller back in 1992.
We finally have our first major patch for the game, and it sounds like it addresses at least one (if not more) of the game’s major issues. MP1st (who in turn grabbed the info from PS4 update history), lists the brief patch notes that are vague in some areas, and very specific in others:
Added features to the “Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles” sound test
– Fixed track mismatches in the Museum for certain music tracks included in the Classic Music Pack
– Corrected an issue in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 where Tails goes off-screen and is unable to rejoin
– Additional bug fixes
Track mismatches refers to a handful of mislabeled tracks included in the Classic Music DLC, such as the track names being swapped for Sonic Spinball’s bonus stage and boss fight music, or the Credits/Menu/Invincible themes in 3D Blast. And while we don’t yet have a sense of what “Additional bug fixes” encompasses, it’s a relief to know I can safely traverse Metropolis Zone without Miles mashing his distant immortal face into a wall for five straight minutes.
The patch has not propagated to every platform at time of writing, but keep an eye out over the next few days.
Comments that make the joke “but did they patch out the bad music” will not be approved, because I saw that coming a mile away, and thus it is not as clever as you think it is. Those comments should be directed at YouTube and Twitter, where they will join the 4000 people also making that joke.
Thanks to DauntlessMonk for the news tip.
UPDATE: Thanks to a commenter going by the handle “Update Name,” we were directed to SEGA Asia’s official Origins site for the full list of updates. It seems like a lot (hence us putting it at the end), but it’s fairly normal to group so many very contextual changes into a larger patch to reduce the number of patches sent out. For convenience, we’ve sorted the list by game:
- Fixed a bug that was causing some songs from the Classic Music Pack to have incorrect titles displayed in the Museum.
- Fixed a typo in the credits.
- Removed an extra space from “PlayStation™Store” in the Simplified Chinese text. (PlayStation®5 / PlayStation®4)
- Fixed a bug where exiting while connected to Xbox Live and syncing data would cause the game to crash. (Xbox Series X|S)
- Fixed a bug where having multiple autosaves in a short period of time would result in them not saving correctly. (PlayStation®5 / PlayStation®4)
- Fixed a bug that was causing save file contents to be different when manually saving the game. (Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S)
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to freeze for about 10 seconds when going to offline mode after launching the game in online mode. (Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S)
- Fixed a bug where launching the game while connected to a network, disconnecting from that network after reaching the Main Menu, playing a sound in the Museum, and then returning to the Main Menu would result in a crash after 15 seconds. (Xbox One / Xbox Series X|S)
- Fixed a bug that was causing lower-performance GPUs to be automatically selected in multiple-GPU systems. (Steam / Epic Games)
- Fixed a bug in the “Fireball Dash” mission where it was possible to move outside of the mission area, and clearing the mission would result in the player becoming stuck.
- Fixed a bug in the “Animal Rescue” mission where players would stand on top of clouds instead of bouncing or falling off them.
- Fixed a bug in the “Bounce House” mission where characters would become inoperable if they collided with a Bounce Pad from the bottom when time expired.
- Fixed a bug in the “Extreme! Super Sonic Finish” mission where falling off the platform shortly after reaching the goal would cause the camera to lock and prevent the player from progressing.
- Fixed a bug in the “Aerial Attack” mission where players would get stuck on blocks and be unable to move.
- Fixed a bug in the “Slippery Swim” mission that was causing invisible blocks to appear in areas they aren’t supposed to appear in.
Sonic the Hedgehog
- Fixed a bug where retrying a stage in Classic Mode from My Data and getting a Game Over would make players get stuck at the Title Screen.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Fixed a bug where Tails would not return from outside the screen and a sound effect would continually play.
- Fixed a bug that caused the sound effect for collecting Rings to be interrupted when collecting them in quick succession.
- Fixed a bug that caused Tails’ flight sound effect to continually play after moving to the next stage if you were flying with Tails during the transition.
- Fixed a bug in 2 Player VS mode where the time would never expire if it reached 0 during a player mistake.
- Story Mode: Fixed a bug where the transition time from Mystic Cave Zone Act 2 to Hidden Palace 2 would be added to the player’s Best Time.
- Fixed a bug that was causing crashes due to incorrect object calculations.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
- Added a function to Sound Test.
- Adjusted Competition Mode on the Nintendo Switch™ so that it can be played without registering two Joy-Cons™ / Pro controllers.
*Made registration for two Joy-Cons™ / Pro controllers in Time Attack unnecessary, and made it possible to cancel controller registration in other modes.
- Fixed a bug where leaving many Item Boxes in front of the sub-boss of Hydrocity Zone Act 1 would cause the game to crash when defeating the sub-boss and moving on to the next Act.
- Fixed a bug that was causing players to get stuck when playing a Special Stage from the level select menu after playing Time Attack Mode.
- Fixed a bug in Competition mode that caused players to go back a lap when they took damage or fell out of the stage.
- Fixed a bug in Angel Island Zone Act 1 that teleported players when the island is set on fire.
- Fixed a bug in Carnival Night Zone Act 2 where the boss would leave the area if hit by a mid-air attack while entering.
- Fixed a bug that caused a sound effect to continually play when the player transitioned stages after defeating the boss of Death Egg Zone Act 1.
- Fixed a bug in Flying Battery Zone Act 1 that caused a sound effect to continually play if a player transitioned stages when close to a magnetic object.
- Fixed a bug in Competition Mirror Mode that was causing the courses to not be mirrored.
- Fixed a bug that caused Sonic and Tails to get stuck on a burning rope in the middle of Angel Island Zone Act 2, which made it impossible to progress.
- When starting in Classic Mode with a save file where the game has been cleared, entering and exiting a Special Stage without touching a checkpoint would cause the game time to incorrectly start at 9:59.
- When starting the game as Sonic with a cleared-game save data file, performing certain actions in Angel Island Zone Act 1 would cause the player to be incorrectly moved to Knuckles’ boss area route.
- Fixed a bug in Classic Mode where performing certain actions in the boss fight of Lava Reef Zone Act 2 would make the camera shift, and the character would fall out of the stage.
- Fixed a bug in Angel Island Zone Act 1 where performing certain actions after the stage is set on fire caused the player to lose a life.
- Fixed a bug in Lava Reef Zone Act 2 that allowed players to avoid the falling boulder that moves them to the boss stage.
- Fixed a bug in the boss battle of Hydrocity Zone Act 2 that caused an invisible ceiling to appear, which prevented players from jumping higher.
- Fixed a bug where immediately opening the pause menu when entering the first Special Ring in Mushroom Hill Zone Act 1 and selecting “Restart” would cause players to start the stage from an unnatural position.
- Starting the game in Classic Mode using saved data with a recorded Time Over in Angel Island Zone Act 1, and then getting a Game Over would cause players to immediately lose a life upon reaching the sub-boss.
- Fixed a bug where opening the pause menu just before entering a Special Stage and then selecting “Restart” would move the player to a different Act.
- Fixed a bug where coins would be increased in debug mode.
- Fixed a bug where the BGM in Special Stages would slow down after collecting 50 Rings.
- When starting the game in Classic Mode on a save file with a recorded Time Over, the Time would not reset from 9:59 upon clearing a stage.
- Fixed a bug in Classic Mode of Death Egg Zone Act 2 where opening the pause menu and selecting “Restart” after transitioning to the boss stage would cause the player restart the boss fight with 0:10 Time.
- Fixed a bug in Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2 that caused textures of objects to not display correctly. (Nintendo Switch™)